Is this normal or a bug?

yggdrasil

this probably falls under the heading of "normal"...

http://docs.whmcs.com/Client_Email_Verification

By default, clients access is not restricted in any way when an email address has not been verified. This is intentional so as not to restrict the clients ability to access both the services they have paid for or your support resources.

Upon registering the "Client Signup Email" template will not be sent.

I see. I missed that reading.

Is there any particular reason why this was implemented this way? One feature neutralizing another one forcing users to choose between one or the other.

The confirmation template is very simple like just “please click here to confirm your email account”.

The welcome email is usually like its name tells you, a welcome email with proper information on how to use your account, or a some thank you note and more proper longer information. Usually just a Hi, welcome, that users can discard immediately.

I know that technically you could just add the content from the welcome email template and put it all in the confirmation email link together but this create mainly 2 issues:

1. The welcome template is now useless in your WHCMS admin account itself. It serves no purpose anymore.

2. You are now confusing customers with the confirmation message that is also mixed with the welcome message (longer email with more content than necessary).

Assuming your welcome email is a standard welcome email, most users will not find the link to confirm the email account inside or maybe just delete the welcome email like any other welcome email.

This why important actions are send in a short consistent and separated email. This is why I would rather prefer to send the welcome email in one message and the email confirmation link (an action required by the user) in a separated email. So 2 messages. One welcome and one to confirm the email account. This should not be mixed. In particular because the email subject is different, and that is what users read.

I find it rather strange that you decided to null the welcome email if email verification is required. I would rather prefer to have them separated for the above mentioned reasons.

Edited by yggdrasil

I see. I missed that reading.

Is there any particular reason why this was implemented this way? One feature neutralizing another one forcing users to choose between one or the other.

no idea - i've long since given up trying to work out why WHMCS introduce new features in the way that they do... e.g not seemingly thought through. :roll:

to avoid the hassle that you describe, we just didn't bother to enable the feature. :)

But this is something I requested for years (and so did many other people), so I'm actually happy they added the feature.

I was using a plugin before but it was buggy to avoid scammers sign up and other incorrect email inputs. While the WHMCS feature does not block access to WHMCS, its still very useful because you don't want an incorrect address on registration. Believe it or not, I had real users (not spam, and not fraud) entering their email incorrectly and then complaining they where not receiving the order account details. I need this function and I really love how they added the green status bar next to a verified email in the customer profile.

It was just strange to see that my users where not receiving the welcome email anymore so I thought it was a bug. Either way, nice to know they are aware of that. I guess the sign up/welcome template is now useless then if you are using the confirm email feature as you can't use both together.

I guess its my fault for not reading the documentation but I didn't expected enabling one feature to disable something else as the logic person inside me told me that both emails would be send.