Odd Knowledgebase template output

I am using the Six Template and all looks fine except for the Knowledgebase page. When I visit domain.com/knowledgebase.php all I see is a blank white screen with "Categories" text and a search box in the top-left corner.

Here is a screenshot of what I see:

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 3.38.04 PM.png

There appears to be something missing but I don't know where it is. I checked many other files but cannot see anything wrong. Anyone have an idea where I made a mistake somewhere?

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhh, I have been struggling with this problem for a few days and I just found the source of the problem after I posted this. But I still am unclear WHY it is a problem.

So I removed this code from the knowledgebase.tpl and it worked fine:

{if $kbcats}
   <div class="row kbcategories">
       {foreach from=$kbcats name=kbcats item=kbcat}
           <div class="col-sm-4">
               <a href="{if $seofriendlyurls}{$WEB_ROOT}/knowledgebase/{$kbcat.id}/{$kbcat.urlfriendlyname}{else}knowledgebase.php?action=displaycat&catid={$kbcat.id}{/if}">
                   <span class="glyphicon glyphicon-folder-close"></span> {$kbcat.name} <span class="badge badge-info">{$kbcat.numarticles}</span>
               </a>
               <p>{$kbcat.description}</p>
           </div>
           {if $smarty.foreach.kbcats.iteration mod 3 == 0}
               <div class="clearfix"></div>
           {/if}
       {/foreach}
   </div>
{else}
   {include file="$template/includes/alert.tpl" type="info" msg=$LANG.knowledgebasenoarticles textcenter=true}
{/if}

Any idea why the above is causing problems?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok ok, sorry to keep pinging this forum but now I am finding the problem exactly.

This is the errant code:

{if $smarty.foreach.kbcats.iteration mod 3 == 0}
               <div class="clearfix"></div>
           {/if}

If I removed that only, then all works fine. So is there an issue with the smarty there?