System Health and Updates says system cron tasks have not been ran but they have

crspyjohn

I am running into the same issue and had to dig to correct some errors:

1. Running Apache 2.4.16

2. PHP 5.6.13

3. PHP suEXEC & DSO PHP Handler

4. Apache User/Group = nobody:nobody

5. Moved writable directory above /public_html

a. All paths in configuration.php to /writable_directory are correct

6. Ensure the web server user which has permissions to run under httpd is the same for the writable directory

a. In my case it is nobody

b. Check user for Apache:

c. egrep -iw --color=auto '^user|^group' /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

7. chown -R nobody:nobody /writable_directory

8. In my scenario: suEXEC & DSO, I have had to set directory permissions to 755 not 777

9. Change files within directory to be writable:

a. chmod -R 777 /writable_directory

=============================

Cron jobs are running because I am receiving the email notifications with no permission errors, however I still receive the "Pop Cron Ticket Import" and "System Cron Tasks" errors under the HELP > HEALTH & UPDATES Menu within WHMCS. I am starting to suspect this is a bug.

In any case, this was an upgrade of a pre-existing system. We also have an instance of a new install of WHMCS 6.1 and I will perform some validations to investigate whether this also solves similar issues on that system.

The email message of cron job is "No input file specified." with NO errors.

I will check this evening whether the backup system cron job sends the backup db.

Any relevant information is appreciate, seems like many of us are having the same challenge when upgrading!

@TiOTBiz

Receiving system health errors for cron - says system cron has not run (which I can confirm by log and email it has and is working 100%) it also says pop3 is not configured correctly or working for support departments when in fact it is. We have tested every department we have "no issues" -yet system health says otherwise!!

For those of you with DB issues we discovered that you need to add the Lock_Tables privilege to the DB user account or it will fail to back up. This information needs to be added to the installation documentation for WHMCS. (Not sure why this would change or the reason behind it - but lock tables on backup could cause problems if an order is being made while the DB is being backed up unless the site is put into maintenance mode which I do not believe is automated at the time of DB backup! Should probably be an option - both ways "the use of lock table on backup" and automatically go into maintenance mode when DB is backed up.)

Moving the cron folder along with 'downloads, attachments, and templates_c' in further securing WHMCS is good practice but if you really want to secure cron I think WHMCS should add a feature to only allow cron to run from specific IP's.

Hope somebody fixes the false "System Health" issues soon. I'm OCD and can not stand it when something says warning or gives error when it should not!!

~Mike

DevFX | DevelopFX.com

• 1 month later...
@Sliffer21 - try to send an email to a single client from whmcs admin. See if you don't get an error. Could not connect to SMTP host. I am getting this with PHP 5.6 but when I go back to 5.5 it goes away and the emails send. I checked the mail server logs and there were ssl errors. I changed to no encryption and port 587 / 25 and same error, only going back to php 5.5 seemed to do it. Just curious if that is your experience.

I'm having the exact same issue.

• 1 month later...
  • WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

If you're running v6.1.1 or above and are seeing the cron job error in the Health & Updates page:

Begin by reviewing Utilities > Logs > Activity Log and ensure you see a number of entries beginning "Cron Job" each day. The final entry every day should be "Cron Job: Completed".

* If you see no Cron Job entries at-all this means you have not configured your automation cron correctly, you must do this per our installation instructions. The relevant documentation can be found at http://docs.whmcs.com/Crons

* If you see some Cron Job entries but none after "Cron Job: Running Usage Stats Update" your cron is getting stuck at the Usage Stats Update stage. The most likely cause of this error is that you have an old server in Setup > Servers that is no longer available.

To resolve this, you should update or remove any inactive or offline servers from Setup > Servers so that they can all be connected to successfully. Or alternatively Update Usage Statistics can be disabled under Setup > Automation Settings.

* Finally, if you see some Cron Job entries but no "Cron Job: Completed" entry this suggests the cron is being terminated prematurely by your server. Please increase the memory_limit setting in your server's php.ini to 64M or 128MB which should easily be sufficient. Then see if things improve and you start getting the cron job report again over the next few days.

If the cron still doesn't complete with the increased memory limit please ensure display_errors is enabled in the server's PHP configuration and enable the Setup > General Settings > Other tab > Display Errors option, then run the cron manually by visiting the cron.php file in your browser. You should now see an error output to the screen. We have collected some of the most most common errors and their causes, refer to the appropriate page in the following sections:

*http://docs.whmcs.com/Server_Modules

*http://docs.whmcs.com/Domain_Registrars

*http://docs.whmcs.com/Common_Troubleshooting_Tips#Server_Errors

• 1 month later...

Another finding from my End. I noticed the Same error as well until I disable Plesk (Not yet production but live) and Cron is working fine. I wonder if this is a bug related to Plesk not being able to update stat and usage properly? (I am using Plesk 12.5)

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

If your cron job is not getting past the updating usage statistics part of the cron job, then it would not complete and the Health & Updates page would be correct in reporting so.

There is currently no known issue in current versions of WHMCS which would cause the Plesk module to prevent the cron completing during the usage statistics stage.