Error with tickets after update to 5.3.3

Anyone else had this error?

After update to 5.3.3, any tickets sent (either via admin or user CP), system throws php exception:

PHP Fatal error: Exceptions must be valid objects derived from the Exception base class in /var/www/cp/includes/classes/WHMCS/File/Upload.php on line 0

This is thrown on new tickets or replies....

Any ideas?

Hello,

We have seen multiple reports of this issue. The error message states that the exception we expect to be thrown deep down in the code (and then caught higher up in the caller) is causing a fatal error due to php's exception handling expectations. In these cases it appears that ioncube is not correctly decoding / processing the base exception class file.

Right now we know that there is some configuration that is preventing a small minority of our customers from being able to properly decode this file and/or use the class inheritance hierarchy correctly. Right now we are not aware of a firm reason for this. We had some initial reports that upgrading ionCube resolved this, that has not worked for everyone. I have built multiple reproduction environments but have been unable to reproduce the error in our testing labs.

While releasing the WHMCS_Exception class unencoded has resolved the immediate problem, I am troubled that there might be an environment where future upgrades will also have problems with the class tree or with decoding the ioncube setup. At a minimum I would like to document the specific enviroments where there is trouble. Hopefully we will be able provide improved robustness in our testing labs and processes and potentially even mitigation steps in our software.

Towards that end if you had this problem and are willing to send me via PM the phpinfo() of your setup that would help us look for a pattern. Additionally if you are willing to provide direct access to your desk for further testing, I would like to use that avenue to track that down. If you're willing to do so, please open a support ticket and ask that it be assigned to Nate C with details for further investigation.

Nate C

Edited by WHMCS Nate
updated information

Hello,

with the ionCube PHP Loader v4.5.2, Copyright © 2002-2014, by ionCube Ltd

Confirmed running using lighttpd and fcgi after 5.3.3 upgrade

Is there any download link for fixed version of supporttickets.php ?

Thanks.

You may open a ticket with WHMCS technical support and ask for the unencoded file as nate said above.

Have the same error. I want to change my e-Mail templates (admin/configemailtemplates.php?savemessage=true&id=27)

Fatal error: Exceptions must be valid objects derived from the Exception base class in /htdocs/includes/classes/WHMCS/File/Upload.php on line 0

PHP 5.4.4-14+deb7u7 (cli) (built: Dec 12 2013 08:42:07)

Copyright © 1997-2012 The PHP Group

Zend Engine v2.4.0, Copyright © 1998-2012 Zend Technologies

with the ionCube PHP Loader v4.5.2, Copyright © 2002-2014, by ionCube Ltd., and

with XCache v2.0.0, Copyright © 2005-2012, by mOo

I did as instructed, and some genius from the support desk attached a prewrote response with references to the documentation. Is the support always this bad with WHMCS?

I apologize for the inconvenience, it appears Sean responded to your ticket and sent you the appropriate file to resolve the issue. Please report your environment information in the ticket if possible so we can continue to track the origin of this issue.

Thanks!

Have the same error. I want to change my e-Mail templates (admin/configemailtemplates.php?savemessage=true&id=27)

Fatal error: Exceptions must be valid objects derived from the Exception base class in /htdocs/includes/classes/WHMCS/File/Upload.php on line 0

PHP 5.4.4-14+deb7u7 (cli) (built: Dec 12 2013 08:42:07)

Copyright © 1997-2012 The PHP Group

Zend Engine v2.4.0, Copyright © 1998-2012 Zend Technologies

with the ionCube PHP Loader v4.5.2, Copyright © 2002-2014, by ionCube Ltd., and

with XCache v2.0.0, Copyright © 2005-2012, by mOo

Can you please submit a ticket here with the error you're getting so a technical analyst can provide you with a fix/workaround?

Thanks!

Hbktechnologies,

I am sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with our support department. I was able to track down your ticket and confirm that you have gotten the patch and its working for you. I have highlighted that ticket with our support manager to make sure we do better in the future.

My apologies,

Nate C

Hello,

Right now we know that there is some configuration that is preventing a small minority of our customers from being able to properly decode this file and/or use the class inheritance hierarchy correctly. At this point we are not aware of a firm cause for this. We had some initial reports that upgrading ionCube resolved this, that has not worked for everyone. I have built multiple reproduction environments but have been unable to reproduce the error in our testing labs.

While releasing the WHMCS_Exception class unencoded has resolved the immediate problem, I am troubled that there might be an environment where future upgrades will also have problems with the class tree or with decoding the ioncube setup. At a minimum I would like to document the specific enviroments where there is trouble. Hopefully we will be able provide improved robustness in our testing labs and processes and potentially even mitigation steps in our software.

Towards that end if you had this problem and are willing to send me via PM the phpinfo() of your setup that would help us look for a pattern. Additionally if you are willing to provide direct access to your desk for further testing, I would like to use that avenue to track that down. If you're willing to do so, please open a support ticket and ask that it be assigned to Nate C with details for further investigation.

Thanks for your help tracking down this issue,

Nate C