which cms is the best ???

Snoop012

There are so many out there, there's really no BEST, just best for the situation. We use a number of different ones for various situations. Sometimes even just a WordPress takes care of what we need. We've used all the majors including some Social Networking software such as Dolphin and it really all depends on what it is that you are trying to accomplish.

• 3 weeks later...

It all depends on how much control you want or need. How far are you willing to customise it yourself.

A simple wordpress Template change could work for you.

CMS Made simple has an easy learning curve which will allow you to customise your own Mods.

Joomla has a lot of support and mods but might take you away from how you want to implement and change it.

Dont forget DotNetNuke and phpNuke. Both are supported by a large community and both are free. They have just as many mods and templates, if not more, than joomla.

Give them a look as well. All are good and like the others have mentioned, use what is best for the situation. I have used several at one time or another.

The marketers that I"ve talked to all expressed a bit of frustration with Joomla because of the difficulty in creating a Marketing Oriented Frontpage...

The default Joomla Frontpage is basically a Blog format, not designed to sell anything.

If you are interested in selling on the Frontpage of your Joomla Site make sure to look at Rockettheme.com and Joomlart.com. They both have great tempates that use their own plugins that allow more control of frontpage items

The down side is that they can be a little tricky to use correctly you'll have to read through the respective docs for each template.

I use the "media mogul" theme from rockettheme at http://www.mysmallbizu.com and love it..

I also have some sites with Joomlart.com temptates that are seem to be a liitle easier to use than the rockettheme templates... What every you decide make sure to pick the template that supports the purpose of the site first... not the one that looks the coolest.

There is no "best CMS" - unfortunately it's not that simple. You have to work out what you are looking for in a CMS and then given those requirements, certain CMSes will be best for those needs.

For instance, Joomla has a huge user community and a lot of support, is very well known and being actively developed, and is easy to find people who understand it well. Behind the scenes, the code is a mess and they make the occasional stupid security mistake. It is the most popular CMS at the moment, without question. It can be hard to keep secure if you don't know what you are doing.

Drupal, from what I see around the place, is probably technically superior to Joomla, but from what I hear, may be harder to learn.

CMS Made Simple has been getting some rave reviews recently also.

There's a great CMS comparison site out there, it's worth your while spending some time playing there. As with many other things, start at the great Wikipedia overview; then go on to www.opensourcecms.com and www.cmsmatrix.com.

• 1 month later...

I'm using WordPress for almost everything. Clean, easy to set up, lots of great themes available (if you know where to look), and can be customized to be a powerful CMS system with tweaks and plug-ins.

Recommended templates:

Revolution Two - Great FREE themes with an optional paid support package that's well worth it. For the free themes, look at each theme's page and choose the "Download unsupported version" link.

Elegant Themes - A template club with some great themes and only $19.95 for a yearly membership.

There are lots of others out there, but these are my favorites. All in all I find WordPress themes and the architecture in general much less bloated than Joomla 1.5.

Thank you Markb for the info on Wordpress. I have been fidling around with Joomla 1.5 trying to learn it, mostly on the feedback of others. Although I have heard many great things about Wordpress too. After reading your post, I am going to install and test it out. I like what you mentioned about it being less bloated, and the availability of lots of good templates. I also know a potential client who is running a magazine using Wordpress, so it would be good to learn it just in case.

My pleasure. I have been doing a lot with Joomla for almost a year, and I always thought WordPress wasn't as feature-rich, was only good for blogging, etc. But I looked into "WordPress as a CMS," and there are a lot of people taking this approach. So far I like it much better than Joomla, though for some things I would still use Joomla. But about 90-95 percent of my site development work is now WordPress.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
joomla is bloated and resource hungry and not the most inituative of interfaces. I personally don't use a cms for my main site but i am a big supported of e107 www.e107.org a lightweight and scalable cms nice and easy to theme and plenty of plugins

I would agree with you there, I used it in the beginning but now I found it easier to edit the whmcs templates and create custom pages for what you need.

I have found that e107 is easier and not so confusing to use for the average client to use.