Recommend some Live Help application

TerrasIOI

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for your inputs people.

I think that http://www.providesupport.com fits my budget and demands right now. Free chats as a craftysytax and LiveHelpCenter is also a solution.

Actually I have HCL already installed. I need to switch to paid solution because of support, localization etc.

Thanks.

The cheapest live chat application that i have come across is the bronze edition of live2support. However, their features are very limited. It depends on your needs also. If you just need to interact with your clients then go with live2support. Volusion offers free live chat software, but their tag is mentioned below the live help button. If you know about hosting, then why don't you purchase the software once in your lifetime .e.g. livehelp.stardevelop OR etalkup.

Currently trialing providesupport.com, it's very nice. We was looking for something to replace Live Help Messenger. Either are good, however we're switching all of our computers in the office to Mac OS and providesupport happened to have a console out (in beta, but stable) that supports macs! It was an easy choice.

• 2 weeks later...

What I love about Livezilla is the fact it tracks how many times an IP has visited, as well as any of their identifying information you have at that point (city, state, country) and you can see it on a map. So if you see someones been to your site for about 5 minutes or so (or less if you'd like) and its their 2nd or 3rd visit, you can initiate a chat with them. I can't believe its free!

Livezilla is a great APP and its also free. BUT we have been using it for almost 4 months now and it's a HUGE HUGE resource hog. If you have a lot of visitors and chats then you might need to get a small dedicated server just for it.

Wow! How much simultaneous visits are you telling us?

I've tried a variety of chat apps. Signed up for a providesupport.com trial account recently, and I am really liking it. It's not too expensive for a hosted solution, and the good thing is you don't have to worry about maintaining your chat server and/or placing extra resource use on any of your servers. Sometimes there is a little excess resource use from LiveZilla and others, when those desktop apps run as they maintain/poll a php script on the server and it shows steady and sometimes high use. I was using TrioLive and running it on a Win2003 server, but the cpu use was driving me nuts while I had the desktop app going. It was up and down, and bits of traffic were being exchanged every few seconds in what I imagine was the desktop app (on another computer) updating and checking the server. Anyway, now that I am evaluating providesupport.com I don't even think about this sort of thing, and their servers are really fast. The gui of both their web site and the desktop utility is clean and sharp, and it really feels like an industrial strength/quality solution. For anyone that hasn't tried it you might want to check it out.

Edited by apollo1

• 2 months later...

LiveZilla is just amazing! I am using livezilla myself and have been suggesting my clients to use it as well. I would definitely recommend livezilla, not only because its FREE, but also because it has plenty of advance features like unlimited operator login, SSL support, Webcam support, proactive chat invitations, real-time visitor monitoring, and much more. <<removed>>

Livezilla is a great APP and its also free. BUT we have been using it for almost 4 months now and it's a HUGE HUGE resource hog. If you have a lot of visitors and chats then you might need to get a small dedicated server just for it.

Yes Livezilla can be a resource hog, the chat client is .NET based which has never been known for it's minimal memory footprint and the client on my system uses about 70MB or mem which is Dreamweaver territory although very little cpu.

There are however a number of things that you can so to alleviate the memory usage.

LiveZilla is a file based chat system, in that it does not use a database, this can cause a lot of memory usage if you are storing all past chats and messages in Livezilla as every time you connect it has to download a load of data from the server.

Storing of this data can be turned off in the server config. You can still have all chats and messages emailed they just wont be available within the chat app.

The next version available end of April should I hope alleviated this as it will allow database storage of chat history etc which should make things a bit better on the local client memory front as well as server resources.

Incidentally I have used and owned a number of self host chat applications, Crafty Syntax, Live Help Messenger and Kayako Live Support and none of them come close to the features and functionality of LiveZilla, which is saying something for a FREE system.

Edited by ServWise.com

I use LiveZilla chat, it's free and not hosted, but, it works great :)

On some PHP configurations you don’t receive what a customer has typed correctly, and can be extremely delayed. LiveZilla are trying to correct the issues.

We then found http://www.providesupport.com/ and for $99 a year we find it to be amazing, as you can also use the web based client. They also offer rate support ECT. We also had a discount code to get 20% off, I will take a look and post if I can find it.