Impossible to create the root directory: Permission Denied

kwood

Hi,

I have created a separate folder for my cron jobs, following the WHMCS user guide for security, which it stated in the System Health Check area.

It all changed fine, and the crons are running from the new folder, but when I go to enter the System Health Check area I get the following:

League\Flysystem\Exception: Impossible to create the root directory "........./dashboard/cron_jobs". mkdir(): Permission denied in ........../dashboard/vendor/league/flysystem/src/Adapter/Local.php:112
Stack trace:
#0 ..........dashboard/vendor/league/flysystem/src/Adapter/Local.php(78): League\Flysystem\Adapter\Local->ensureDirectory('p...')
#1 ..........dashboard/vendor/whmcs/whmcs-foundation/lib/View/Admin/HealthCheck/ApplicationDirectory.php(0): League\Flysystem\Adapter\Local->__construct('p...')
#2 ..........dashboard/vendor/whmcs/whmcs-foundation/lib/View/Admin/HealthCheck/HealthCheckRepository.php(0): WHMCS\View\Admin\HealthCheck\ApplicationDirectory->__construct('p...')
#3 ..........dashboard/vendor/whmcs/whmcs-foundation/lib/View/Admin/HealthCheck/HealthCheckRepository.php(0): WHMCS\View\Admin\HealthCheck\HealthCheckRepository->newApplicationDirectory('p...')
#4 ..........dashboard/vendor/whmcs/whmcs-foundation/lib/View/Admin/HealthCheck/HealthCheckRepository.php(0): WHMCS\View\Admin\HealthCheck\HealthCheckRepository->customizableDirectories()
#5 ..........dashboard/vendor/whmcs/whmcs-foundation/lib/View/Admin/HealthCheck/HealthCheckRepository.php(0): WHMCS\View\Admin\HealthCheck\HealthCheckRepository->checkDirectoryCustomizations()
#6 ..........dashboard/admin/systemhealthandupdates.php(0): WHMCS\View\Admin\HealthCheck\HealthCheckRepository->nonKeyChecks()
#7 {main}

Please, can anyone advise what I need to do?

Many thanks

Looks like a permission issue, probably an incorrect owner of the directories / files. First you should check under which user PHP runs, then check if the owner is correctly set for your WHMCS directory and fix it if not (`chown -R USER:GROUP /path/to/whmcs`).

3 minutes ago, string said:

Looks like a permission issue, probably an incorrect owner of the directories / files. First you should check under which user PHP runs, then check if the owner is correctly set for your WHMCS directory and fix it if not (`chown -R USER:GROUP /path/to/whmcs`).

Hi,

Thanks, but what I do not understand is, that I didn't alter anything with the directory, I h=just added a new folder for my cron jobs, which all worked fine, yet the health check page is now showing this.

The error message clearly indicates that PHP lacks the permission to create the directory. The most common explanation is that the owner (chown) or permission (chmod) is not correct. I don't think it's the permissions, since the permissions are usually set to 0755 for folders and 0644 for files by default.

I'm also unsure why the health check would even attempt to create this directory. Since WHMCS is encrypted, I can't figure that out, but maybe the health check will do that if the configured cron directory does not exist. So I would recommend that you also double check the path you configured.

8 minutes ago, string said:

The error message clearly indicates that PHP lacks the permission to create the directory. The most common explanation is that the owner (chown) or permission (chmod) is not correct. I don't think it's the permissions, since the permissions are usually set to 0755 for folders and 0644 for files by default.

I'm also unsure why the health check would even attempt to create this directory. Since WHMCS is encrypted, I can't figure that out, but maybe the health check will do that if the configured cron directory does not exist. So I would recommend that you also double check the path you configured.

I'm unsure too, as the new path to the Cron jobs is working fine, as I checked this on the Cron page in WHMCS and it has directed the change and it has accepted it and they are all running correctly too. This is strange, and I couldn't understand it, hence why I have asked on here. 

Thanks for your help.