POP ticket import

Since day 1, I've never been able to get POP ticket import working in WHMCS (v 8.1.3). I've tried port 110 and 995 (both ok/reachable on the servers) with a mail account on the same server as well as a totally different one, a new POP mailbox as well as an older one and so on. No success. Mainly the same error: "The Mail Import test failed: last request failed: [AUTH] Authentication failed." Server mail log shows: "pop3-login: Disconnected: Aborted login by logging out (auth failed, 1 attempts in 2 secs)"

Mail account can easily be checked using local mail program here, auth is just fine. Changed passwords on the mail account being tried so it had no special characters, as well as making it both long and short, respectively, and have the same result. 

I've been using piping, but had a need for one department to use POP import, so would like to get some fresh ideas, if anyone has any. 

I understand what he'd meant there, but as it's connecting to 2 separate servers in testing, the chances of it being an email server issue are somewhat less (and besides, Gmail setup with 0AUTH is a royal pain if I have no intention of using Gmail with this).  As for the server logs, I gave the result above in my initial post: "Server mail log shows: pop3-login: Disconnected: Aborted login by logging out (auth failed, 1 attempts in 2 secs)". Same result with TLS (port 995) and plain (110) on both servers.

The same account that won't authenticate using WHMCS is fine using a mail program. Something WHMCS sends is causing it to crap out. 

Sonofagun.
It's just the "test this connection" that fails. Each time I'd tried, I stopped short of making the department because it told me it wasn't connecting, and the server logs bore that out. Decided to follow through, make the department and set up the cron and it imports fine. 

Thanks for the replies, looks like this is a case of the WHMCS check doing something weird. So much wasted time...

• 4 weeks later...