SSL via MArket Connect

snake

On 1/24/2022 at 12:01 PM, snake said:

I have never used MArket Connect to sell SSL, as I have always done it via the ENOM module.

Is there any advantage to doing it via market connect?

Instead of reselling from Enom you would be reselling from WHMCS. That is the main difference. The biggest issue I see is that WHMCS can't even properly support its own software and now they plant support third party services. Ouch...

Market Connect is a glorified affiliate system. WHMCS is trying to make money by reselling things that most of its customers already sell. To me this is also a huge conflict of interests. Your customers are now WHMCS customers.

Edited by yggdrasil

I would personally keep my customers seperate from whmcs market connect products. 

I don't feel I could buy something through a company who pivots pricing and terms so dramatically without warning. I wouldn't want to be told I can keep access to my customers and their products provided I move to a monthly fee per x amount of customers using marketconnect 

I mean, whmcs may be willing to sign an agreement regarding any concerns you have but I'd certainly want one before agreements get made in the future 

Ahh well - it was answered! Seperatation, automation, control and access to actual support that knows the product when something goes wrong - you just need to balance those with cost and what makes you feel most comfortable! 

As you've already said you're not interested in an external solution the whole conversation seems a bit pointless. But at least @evolve hosting took the time to offer some viable alternatives for other people reading this community! 

On 1/26/2022 at 7:41 AM, snake said:

not sure how its pointless because I don't want to know about external solutions when my question was not about external solutions?
My question was about ENOM vs marketconnect, which are both built into WHMCS.

I don't use MarketConnect or ENOM but as an outsider looking in, about the only real benefit I could see is that MarketConnect has pre generated 'Sales pages' that WHMCS has created. How well they work, I'm not sure.

The pre-generated sales pages work quite well and showed an increase in average sales price for us too.  But the rest of MarketConnect's SSL service is an overpriced, unreliable and insecure mess so we ditched it.  For a while we used the sales pages and sourced the certificates elsewhere, but WHMCS seem to have killed that possibility somehow so we just get a bunch of errors from that now 😐

When I compared the pricing on my enom account vs market connect, there was not a huge difference. But it seems the market for paid SSL is pretty limited now since Letsencrypt came along.

I don't think I have seen much positive about market connect in this community so far. I tried Ox App suite and that was a disaster.

37 minutes ago, snake said:

I don't think I have seen much positive about market connect in this community so far. I tried Ox App suite and that was a disaster.

Yeah, seems to be a common set of views really! MarketConnect as a whole seems to me, as anyone who needs to boost sales and is willing to give a % to whmcs - Not always a bad thing but typically attracts the lesser quality services, as the popular and "good" ones get modules made for them by 3rd parties to use the services 

It could theoretically attract something good - but evidently hasn't so far and I can't see it changing for the positive without further acquisitions by the controllers of the purse strings - Personally it feels like the graveyard of good ideas that were badly executed.  

I'm not against the idea of it changing, but the amount of adverts we get for it in a paid service indicates failure to launch to the expectations envisioned. 

What doesn't help is the support is tied to whmcs - which many in the community feel isn't something they'll gamble on in regards to customer relations. Retention of a hosting companies clients is a knifes edge due to the amount of competition in the industry - if that means waiting on ticket submission, then giving access to your server, followed by asking you to post here for support it's risky should a problem arise. 

Perfectly fine if you're in a niche market and hold an appeal that thousands of others haven't got - but let's face it 99.9% of providers are the same and sell themselves on the support offered. 

Being a direct customer of a service sold means you get direct support which is typically of higher quality as they are usually used to dealing with the service they offer! For me, that is a value that could never be beaten even if market connect charged 10% of the retail price charged directly. 

Where market connect really excels - beyond any expectations, is new or not technically capable hosts who just want to bulk offerings out without financial or technical investment and I would suspect that to be the main target market for the business plan