whmcsmoduleshop .com hacked?

Hi all,

be careful if you receive invoices from whmcsmoduleshop.com. This site might have been hacked. 

We received an invoice (with correct salutation and company name) about 190 USD (without ordering anything or having a subscription for whatever). We bought the seo & cms module for  a one time fee years ago at the companies predecessor and that´s it. 

So you may need to double check invoices coming from this site if you have a module or subscription from there. 

I have no clue what is going on there, but it´s not good.

Regards

Michael

+maybe not the right board to post this, but I did not found a better one.

On Nov 4th, I got a similar invoice 🙂

Invoice #3992
Amount Due: $396.80USD
Due Date: Wednesday, November 18th, 2020

Invoice Items

Professional - WHMCS-MODULE-SHOP-8d9463f091 (18/11/2020 - 17/11/2021) $320.00USD
------------------------------------------------------
Sub Total: $320.00USD
24.00% VAT: $76.80USD
Credit: $0.00USD
Total: $396.80USD

I got a response for my complaint:

This was a free trial optional renewal when we migrated your previous account to the new module shop back in november 2019.

This has been done without agreement, order or even knowledge about it. Interesting move. 

I would stay away from those.

This business behaviour is THAT suspect, that thinking about the site being hacked is appropriate.

That was not being a price/term change. Charging former customers with "surprises" when there is no legal relationship anymore was an attempted fraud and it was not obvious that the legal operator of the site are doing this.

What kind of hack is it?

There's a guy that hacks whmcsmoduleshop.com to issue invoices where he's asking people to pay WHMCS Module Shop. Where's the profit for the hacker? It was obvious that no one hacked their site. This was just a very bad business decision.

Edited by Kian

10 minutes ago, Kian said:

What kind of hack is it?

There's a guy that hacks whmcsmoduleshop.com to issue invoices where he's asking people to pay WHMCS Module Shop. Where's the profit for the hacker? It was obvious that no one hacked their site. This was just a very bad business decision.

You're wrong, even if it appears logic what you're saying. I had a similar bad experience some months ago. Someone hacked my site, changed the PayPal email with his own and don't know what the  issue is with PayPal, but:

- The invoice that the client was getting was with my own details.

- I was getting from PayPal that payment (sale) notification email

- But the money was going to the hackers PP account.

Can you explain it? At least me, not. The same happen after investigation from PayPal. They simple said "It's an issue from your cart".

And coming back to this issue. Can you guarantee that this payment will goes to the shop owner account? I don't think so.

Just now, Kian said:

Exactly. The first thing I would always check is PayPal email. All it takes is one click on "Pay Now" button. Then why no one tried to click it? It's 7 days that we talk about a hacked site...

Correct. I did it and in six hours were back to his PP email again. I disabled PayPal as payment gateway and I added manual payment with instructions to contact me (I wrote my email there).  Next day, the message was there but ... guess what... my email has been replaced with his own email address.

So, do you still believe that my site has not be hacked?

13 hours ago, Kian said:

Exactly. The first thing I would always check is PayPal email. All it takes is one click on "Pay Now" button. Then why no one tried to click it? It's 7 days that we talk about a hacked site...

Yes, life is easy. Everything is easy. Be happy. There is always someone wise who know the solution to all problems. But debating means that the debaters need to accept the same reality or at least are able to understand clear statements from others without putting own fantasy on it and act like someone really said this.  

That being said, I am out.

1 minute ago, web2008 said:

I see that all modules I had before have been deleted and I have received a new module "Module Club Power" which costs $ 480 per year!

Has opened a Support Ticket, but does not expect to receive an answer ...

With $480 you deserve to be in "Mercedes Club" and not in "Module Club" 🙂

Sorry for my teasing mood, but really this story goes very long without any post from the site owner. I tried to login but after a couple of years that I've to go there, is normal that I've forgot them. I didn't got the risk to try to recover my password, so I left it as is.

Maybe, the author decided to sell all of the mods as bundle, and this is something that gives a logic for the high price. Just wondering who will pays $300+ on this dammit COVID period for some modules.

15 minutes ago, ChrisTERiS said:

Maybe, the author decided to sell all of the mods as bundle, and this is something that gives a logic for the high price. Just wondering who will pays $300+ on this dammit COVID period for some modules.

I seem to recall them switching to a sort of subscription model, where paying x monthly/annually allows access to a certain number of modules.

On 11/9/2020 at 7:12 PM, ChrisTERiS said:

Correct. I did it and in six hours were back to his PP email again. I disabled PayPal as payment gateway and I added manual payment with instructions to contact me (I wrote my email there).  Next day, the message was there but ... guess what... my email has been replaced with his own email address.

So, do you still believe that my site has not be hacked?

I'm saying that one should double-checking things before calling scams, hacks etc. Threads like this one will show up on Google, mostly on top, even if the "accusation" was false providing misleading information for years. But that's just my opinion. They changed their pricing model. Maybe they did it in a very bad way since they forgot to send emails but for sure it wasn't a hack.

I've never been a WHMCS Module Shop customer but I recall when they changed their pricing model. It was something new that intrigued me also because it was all open source but that's another story. Anyway the 320$ is this guy here (Professional plan annually) while the 480$ is this one (Power plan annually). That's exactly what is written in the invoice.

I suppose they're issuing invoices based on the number of purchased modules. Between 5 and 10 you get 320$ for Professional. Greater than 15 Power 480$ and so on. Probably they are treating all modules as "Active". That's why even ex-customers are receiving invoices. There has never been a hack here.

Edited by Kian

19 minutes ago, Kian said:

I suppose they're issuing invoices based on the number of purchased modules. Between 5 and 10 you get 320$ for Professional. Greater than 15 Power 480$ and so on. Probably they are treating all modules as "Active". That's why even ex-customers are receiving invoices. There has never been a hack here.

I have never been their client. Many-many years ago, I've just registered on their site. So, when suddenly I'm getting such email, it's normal to get bad thoughts. Is this company the old "half-pixel ......"? If yes, then it's almost 10 years that I've been registered there.

Edited by ChrisTERiS