System adds 2 domains to checkout

When a customer goes through the domain search and let's say he searches Jack258.com and its available. But he notices that most of the TLD's are also available and he can get the .CO.ZA TLD free for the first 12 months.
So he selects Jack258.co.za and continues to select his package to get the domain free, he then selects continue.
The system adds both of the domains to the order the Jack258.com and the Jack258.co.za and neither are free. The hosting package is also added.

See attached images

2 TLDs added 1.PNG

2 TLDs added to checkout.PNG

Change TLD selection.PNG

16 hours ago, Gunther77 said:

When a customer goes through the domain search and let's say he searches Jack258.com and its available. But he notices that most of the TLD's are also available and he can get the .CO.ZA TLD free for the first 12 months.
So he selects Jack258.co.za and continues to select his package to get the domain free, he then selects continue.
The system adds both of the domains to the order the Jack258.com and the Jack258.co.za and neither are free. The hosting package is also added.

what will happen is if the domain associated with the hosting product (that includes a free domain on the current billingcycle) is on the free TLD list (in your screenshots, .co.za), then the free domain pricing should kick in - but in your screenshots, the hosting product is associated with the .com (which at that time wasn't a free domain) and so no price change has occurred.... even if you then remove the .com domain registration from the cart, because the hosting product is associated with the missing .com and not the existing .co.za, the .co.za will not be free...

*gasps for air*

so basically, the cart is working as intended - if with a hosting product, I search for brian2020.com and also find brian2020.co.za available and add them both to the cart, it will be the .com that will linked to the hosting product, not the .co.za...

in your situation, I suspect the simplest solution would be to move .co.za higher up the TLD list (via domain pricing would be one way) and that should encourage more users to choose .co.za and have it assigned to the product regardless of what other TLDs are in the cart... although I don't think it wouldn't solve the issue of the user specifically searching for a .com first and adding the co.za later.

Brian thanks again for the great support.

But what you are saying then is that what ever you searched is automatically added to the cart, and what ever you add is also added to the cart.

I don't understand why you would have a system that automatically adds things to the cart just because the customer searched it.

I will shift the .co.za up on the TLD list thanks.

I am trying to avoid customers purchasing and then seeing that they paid for two domains and asking for a refund, because once a domain is purchased you can't get the money back.

Thanks again

Gunther Wallendorf

Hi Gunther,

1 minute ago, Gunther77 said:

But what you are saying then is that what ever you searched is automatically added to the cart, and what ever you add is also added to the cart.

not quite. 🙂

if I go to your site, search for brian2021.com, then it is NOT added to the cart unless/until I press the continue button... if I click on brian2021.co.za "add" button, then that will add the .co.za to the cart... but at that stage, the .com won't have been added (even the hosting product initially chosen isn't added until I press continue)

it is true, that assuming the .com is available and that's what I specifically searched for, pressing continue will also add it to the cart... hence why I suggested moving co.za up the list.... though unless they're ordering a bi/tri cycle service, the free domain won't be applicable.

11 minutes ago, Gunther77 said:

I don't understand why you would have a system that automatically adds things to the cart just because the customer searched it.

it doesn't.

12 minutes ago, Gunther77 said:

I am trying to avoid customers purchasing and then seeing that they paid for two domains and asking for a refund, because once a domain is purchased you can't get the money back.

that's true in most cases - I can think of exceptional registries that don't, but that only occurs with specific ccTLD domains.