More Votes needed Guys, click and check

zitu4life

If it weren't hard to find and require a separate login, it would get the attention it should. Based on past experience with that feature system, even when it does get votes, it doesn't get implemented (usually), at least for several years, if at all. 
Maybe they can't find it either. 😉

4 minutes ago, bear said:

If it weren't hard to find and require a separate login, it would get the attention it should. Based on past experience with that feature system, even when it does get votes, it doesn't get implemented (usually), at least for several years, if at all. 
Maybe they can't find it either. 😉

That true

1 hour ago, bear said:

If it weren't hard to find and require a separate login, it would get the attention it should.

it would get more attention, but I doubt moving FR into here would be a great panacea...

1 hour ago, bear said:

Based on past experience with that feature system, even when it does get votes, it doesn't get implemented (usually), at least for several years, if at all. 

submit a feature request on the opening day of the Olympics, and hope that it will be completed before the next opening day in 4 (or now 5) years time - welcome to WHMCS feature requests.

i'm not sure that I would find 2 years acceptable to wait, so 4+ is just laughable.

1 hour ago, bear said:

Maybe they can't find it either.

at least it's not been archived!

13 hours ago, zitu4life said:

Give your vote to increase chances WHMCS take a look at this.

when I read the original request from @ramf...

Now any mail imported to the ticket system is converted to plain text by using the strip_tags function.

This means that we cannot see the mail as the customer intended us to see (like colors, pictures with HTML tags or any other formatting of the email).

I understand the security reasons and concerns - but maybe the best way to address this issue is to allow admins to manually choose if this ticket is safe (i.e came from someone that you trust - and you expect such a mail) - and if so to allow WHMCS to show the ticket without the strip_tags function.

So a ticket will be imported to WHMCS without the HTML formatting - but admin will have the option to choose if this is a safe ticket that can be shown with the original HTML formatting.

Something like the option in gmail or outlook to download / show pictures if you want.

Another option is to completely separate it from the ticket - by opening such a ticket / original mail in a browser.

So a ticket will be imported to WHMCS without the HTML formatting - but an admin can click some button to see the original mail (with all the formatting etc) in a web browser that will be separated from WHMCS).

my first thought (untested) might be to solve it by having 2 mailboxes, let's call them support@domain and support1@domain... support emails from clients are sent to support@, but you add a filter in place to send a copy of the incoming email to support1 and it's support1 that WHMCS uses for importing etc (and email from anywhere other than support@ is rejected)... that will leave an existing copy of the (possibly) HTML email in support@ for you to view should you need to - you'll have to delete these emails at some point when they are no longer needed.

to use an English expression, it's admittedly a lot of faffing around, but it would likely take minutes to setup as opposed to waiting years for WHMCS to do something about this.

from a practical point of view, if WHMCS was importing the email and storing it twice (once stripped for ticket import and the other untouched), then that's going to lead to an increased database size...

for something like this, there are no easy solutions - especially with the way WHMCS is currently configured to handle email importing.

Hi everyone,
First I want to wish you all health and strength in this complicated coronavirus time. 

And now to the issue it self.
I think there is a problem with the way WHMCS is dealing with feature requests.

Sometimes there are things that are just the right things to do - regardless of the amount of votes from users.
There are a lots of reasons why WHMCS users vote or not vote for feature requests, some of us are just too disappointment from the lack of influence we have or the amount of feature request that are "under consideration" for years or even the unclerty of what can be done in order to promote a feature request to the level WHMCS dev will pick them up, and even the staggering amount of duplicated feature requests that are rarely merged (and then you can't see the real number of votes since it's spreaded over several identical feature requests), or even that fact that the feature request system is not working well.
It doesn't means that some of the feature requests aren't very important and should not be implemented - sometimes it's a good idea regardless of the number of votes... 

But sadly - this is the way WHMCS is working right now - and i fear we cannot change it.
As the famous say is going - if you can't beat them, join them - so we need to try harder working with the feature request system and vote as much as we can on important feature requests. 

1. We can try doing this together - each month to select several feature requests and to vote for them together as a group.
  2. Try and be more involved in the feature request site - answer other users requests, add our ideas and comments on others - including sharing a fix or a solution you have for the same problem.
  3. Find the duplicated feature requests (there are lots of them) and ask WHMCS to merged them together - so the voting  will include the right number of votes.
  4. Grow the community -  there are lots of people using WHMCS - how many of them are active in  the feature request system? how many of them are active in this community site? I guess that most of them are not. we should try and get more people involved and work with us and try to influence WHMCS to do thing differently,

I know this is frustrating and that we all wish that @WHMCS Matt and the other wonderful staff of WHMCS would try and change the way the feature request are dealt with.

I would recommend adding a certain amount of feature request in each new version - some of them should be the quick wins like adding a Date picker or date field for custom fields, or maybe bigger but important Allow attachment filenames which contain no Latin characters. or RTL support for clientarea and admin themes - and once every few version to add some of the bigger and tougher once like  Add an option to see the original mail from the client (with the original HTML formatting etc. or Add the "TO" recipients of an email to the ticket.

In my opinion all of the above requests are important and should be added to WHMCS regardless of the votes they have. 
Maybe some day it will be so. until then (sadly) - let's try to push forward our ideas by being more involved.

What do you say?

Regards,
Ram

1 hour ago, ramf said:

Try and be more involved in the feature request site - answer other users requests, add our ideas and comments on others - including sharing a fix or a solution you have for the same problem.

This is the main reason some of us believe it should be either moved into the community or at least clearly linked to and share the community login. Having it be a separate location (not easily found), the specific requests hard to locate (community search would probably be better at that), and a totally separate login means less of us will be bothered to go there, especially knowing how little attention things get there from WHMCS. If it was publicly within this community, with many eyes on it, and a way to quickly add your vote and thoughts, that might have more of an impact on decision making. Maybe. 

The current system seems designed to make things more complicated, intentionally. 

NOTE: this f o r u m changed every instance of that word in the above post. I didn't use "community" in it. 

Edited by bear

1 hour ago, ramf said:

Sometimes there are things that are just the right things to do - regardless of the amount of votes from users.

but opinions could differ on what those things should be.

2 hours ago, ramf said:

There are a lots of reasons why WHMCS users vote or not vote for feature requests

I would be amazed/surprised/astounded if the vast vast majority of feature requests submitted are not from users directed there from support tickets rather than existing "community" users submitting them off their own back.

3 hours ago, ramf said:

But sadly - this is the way WHMCS is working right now - and i fear we cannot change it.

never give into that fear.

3 hours ago, ramf said:

As the famous say is going - if you can't beat them, join them

I genuinely don't think they are the only two options - but that's a discussion for another time and certainly another place.

3 hours ago, ramf said:

so we need to try harder working with the feature request system and vote as much as we can on important feature requests.  

that assumes the odd one or two votes are going to make any real difference to getting them completed.... and if you think this thread will generate anything more than a handful of votes for selected requests (and I think 'handful' is a generous assumption), then let's just say that experience has shown not to have that much optimism on that score.

3 hours ago, ramf said:

We can try doing this together - each month to select several feature requests and to vote for them together as a group.

sadly, I doubt there would be the community spirit in the userbase to do that - or what you will get is users wanting others to vote on *their* requests... now i've always encouraged users to post links to their requests, not least because they can be difficult to find without such links.... but I doubt this has legs (though i'd be happy to be proved wrong on that).

3 hours ago, ramf said:

Try and be more involved in the feature request site - answer other users requests, add our ideas and comments on others - including sharing a fix or a solution you have for the same problem.

or instead of getting them to submit a feature request, get them to filter their issues through here first... if that gets nowhere, and they are happy to wait, *then* submit the feature request... I will absolutely guarantee that what you want on this point won't happen in practice on any sort of meaningful scale.

3 hours ago, ramf said:

Find the duplicated feature requests (there are lots of them) and ask WHMCS to merged them together - so the voting  will include the right number of votes.

it should be someone's job at WHMCS to do that.... but if you want to volunteer for that role, be my guest - i'm sure it will be appreciated 🙂

3 hours ago, ramf said:

Grow the community -  there are lots of people using WHMCS - how many of them are active in  the feature request system? how many of them are active in this community site? I guess that most of them are not. we should try and get more people involved and work with us and try to influence WHMCS to do thing differently,

I agree with the sentiment - but it simply won't happen... there's less of a community (terribly abused phrase now) here than there was years ago and that's not going to change any time soon...  and I am more than happy to, and will, go into great detail about this in the future, but not today or here.

however, let me give you four facts about the community...

1. 66% of accounts here have a zero post count - so they've either never posted or have their their initial posts deleted (due to being spammers I assume) - that's 53,000+ accounts.
  2. 13% of accounts have only posted once - that's another 10,000+ accounts.
  3. 6% of accounts have only posted twice - that's another nearly 5,000 accounts.
  4. 3% of accounts have only posted three times - that's another 2,500+ accounts.

so two-thirds have (effectively) never posted; 4 out of 5 accounts here have posted once or less; 91% have posted 5 times or less... trust me, I did statistical analysis on this months ago and having just quickly doubled checked the current figures, they're still true.

I could go on, but suffice to say there is a very small subset of users who are active here and whilst we would all like to see more activity and interaction here, and whilst I personally would love to see more users answering questions, I can understand why they don't and I just don't see it occurring any time soon...

although again, I would love to be proved wrong on that - i'm sure if you have ideas on how to encourage that, TPTB would like to hear them.

4 hours ago, ramf said:

I would recommend adding a certain amount of feature request in each new version - some of them should be the quick wins like adding a Date picker or date field for custom fields, or maybe bigger but important Allow attachment filenames which contain no Latin characters. or RTL support for clientarea and admin themes - and once every few version to add some of the bigger and tougher once like  Add an option to see the original mail from the client (with the original HTML formatting etc. or Add the "TO" recipients of an email to the ticket.

of those 5 requests, i'd personally only vote for the first - the other four would have no impact for my clients whether they were added or not... I wouldn't necessarily object to the others being added, it's just that they wouldn't be on my list of features to add/fix.... and the ink is still wet on that last one. 😛

2 hours ago, bear said:

The current system seems designed to make things more complicated, intentionally. 

didn't they just take the cPanel feature requests system and use that...