[solved] whois timeout .me (whois.nic.me)

Hello, in the WHMCS 6.3.2 the whois configuration file sets the .me domain whois server to whois.nic.me

In the WHMCS logs i see " WHOIS Lookup Error for encrypt.me': Error: 110 - Connection timed out "

I paused Cloudflare protection for the site and waited 2 minutes, that whois whmcs lookup continue to timeout.

The IP shown was my IP. When i do Linux command (whois encrypt.me -h whois.nic.me) from my computer with that public IP, then the WHOIS works, and does not timeout.

I asked my hosting provider to do the same command from the hosting server where WHMCS is hosted, it does not timeout either.

Edited by postcd

54 minutes ago, postcd said:

Hello, in the WHMCS 6.3.2 the whois configuration file sets the .me domain whois server to whois.nic.me

so your entry in whoisservers.php is... ?

.me|whois.nic.me|NOT FOUND

if so, it should work (and does for me)...

I think the original file contains an outdated entry...

.me|whois.meregistry.net|NOT FOUND

and that should generate a 110 timeout message.

Thank you for the feedback. In the includes/whoisservers.php i have found TWO lines:

(in order like i show it)

so i commented out second one turning the line into:

#.me|whois.meregistry.net|NOT FOUND

then the .me whois lookup started working. No timeout and shows the correct domain status (Unavailable) instead of Available.

I think that if needed, the alternative whois server can be defined in above mentioned whoisservers.php file and found by running linux whois command on a domain name and it should output the address of the whois server.

Thank you for helping to solve this 🙂

2 hours ago, postcd said:

Thank you for the feedback. In the includes/whoisservers.php i have found TWO lines:

it would be expected behaviour for it to use the last entry it finds - I used to keep the whoisservers file sorted to make these things easier to spot, though you can't really do that as easily with v7+