How to handle the old PayPal Express checkout module?

zomex

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi @zomex,

You can swap directly from the old PayPal Express Checkout to the new PayPal module. Both appear on the checkout process and (at the time of writing) support one-time payments only. They require the PayPal Basic module to be active to handle renewal payments and subscriptions.

4 minutes ago, WHMCS John said:

Hi @zomex,

You can swap directly from the old PayPal Express Checkout to the new PayPal module. Both appear on the checkout process and (at the time of writing) support one-time payments only. They require the PayPal Basic module to be active to handle renewal payments and subscriptions.

Ok great.

So to clarify.

1. De-activate the PayPal Express module and set the new PayPal module as the replacement gateway. PayPal express checkout is no longer used.

2. Turn off the old PayPal module from showing in the cart but keep it active to handle old subscriptions.

3. Use the new PayPal module as the one shown on the cart but keep the old one hidden.

I haven't yet updated to V7.9 so there is no rush.

Thanks.

Will the NEW paypal module give us the option of disabling subscriptions when you add this feature?

IMHO subscription payments seem like more trouble than they are worth. I'd rather customers simply pay each invoice each month. (i have the "Never show the subscription payment button" enabled - to force one time payments)

I would like to switch from PayPal Basic -> to the new module, but I dont want to do that if it will force us to accept subscription payments in the future releases?

Edited by slim

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi @zomex,

That would work to allow clients to checkout using the new module and make a one-time payment. On the renewal invoice, the familiar PayPal buttons would be displayed allowing users to create a subscription or make a one-time payment.

@slim,

Such an option wasn't in the original scope of work, but that you for the suggestion, we are going to investigate the feasibility of adding such an option in the new PayPal module too.

5 minutes ago, WHMCS John said:

Hi @zomex,

That would work to allow clients to checkout using the new module and make a one-time payment. On the renewal invoice, the familiar PayPal buttons would be displayed allowing users to create a subscription or make a one-time payment.

Forgive me for the constant questions.

So the new PayPal module can only handle one-time payments or does it also support subscriptions? It is not completely clear.

2 hours ago, WHMCS John said:

Hi @zomex,

Please refer to the release notes and module documentation which will hopefully clarify:

https://docs.whmcs.com/Version_7.9.0_Release_Notes#PayPal_Checkout

https://docs.whmcs.com/PayPal_Checkout#Supported_Payment_Types

Yes it did thanks.

For some reason I had assumed it was a replacement for the PayPal module. Instead it's a replacement for PayPal Express Checkout. I will continue to use the standard PayPal for now.

6 hours ago, WHMCS John said:

Such an option wasn't in the original scope of work, but that you for the suggestion, we are going to investigate the feasibility of adding such an option in the new PayPal module too.

Add me to the list.

We do not accept PayPal subscriptions. So, an option to disable subscriptions in the new PayPal module is a required feature for us.