upgraded from old version first time I want to do automatic update but scared:)

So after a long time using very old whmcs version I uplgraded to latest manually and recently I see a new update

With my latest whmcs I can go for automatic update however I have dome some customization

So I am scared to click update! Should I go ahead? Will I get into trouble?

I know I can backup but what I am also afraid is hidden issues that might take long time to find out

5 minutes ago, Jbro said:

So after a long time using very old whmcs version I upgraded to latest manually and recently I see a new update

which version do you have installed currently ?

24 minutes ago, Jbro said:

With my latest whmcs I can go for automatic update however I have dome some customization 

what have you customised ?

27 minutes ago, Jbro said:

So I am scared to click update! Should I go ahead? Will I get into trouble?

depends on the answers to the above two questions... plus whether you've checked that any addons/hooks etc you are currently using will work in the latest version.

1 hour ago, Jbro said:

I know I can backup but what I am also afraid is hidden issues that might take long time to find out

generally speaking, if you current install is not prehistoric and is doing everything that you need it to, and you don't require any new features with the latest version (or need features that the latest version has removed), then stick where you are... and if you need to update, ideally test on a dev first.

@Jbro I usually make a full backup  before any WHMCS update. And after that I store this backup offsite   and then go to update.This make me more comfortable, if things go  wrong you already covered.  Recently I got a disaster  with my WHMCS and thanks for my offsite backups and email backup, I could restore lets say 99%, WHMCS is flexible , so  if you have your backup safe do not scare  regarding updates. But always pay attentions to sensitive data like payment gateway and transitions.

Make a cpanel full backup, so all hooks, custom css, client template, tpl files will be covered. Before I forget, look at all modules you are using before update. they  support 7.8.3?

If with all those advice's you are  scared,  create a DEV installations like Brian said, made tests, and when you feel comfortable , just cross your fingers  and click update. 😃

This place is best place to learn, even better to open tickets. WHMCS staff are very good, but  take some time to came here regularly and you will be more comfortable on future updates  . 
PS: start following Brian    posts will help  learning.

Edited by zitu4life

On 10/4/2019 at 2:11 AM, brian! said:

Version: 7.8.1

Not much: 

footer , images , head.tpl in /templates/six/includes
Changes made so when language changes another  css is displayed

admin / menue.tpl

a few more minor change.

all my addons and hook right now works and it should work with update.

depends on the answers to the above two questions... plus whether you've checked that any addons/hooks etc you are currently using will work in the latest version.

generally speaking, if you current install is not prehistoric and is doing everything that you need it to, and you don't require any new features with the latest version (or need features that the latest version has removed), then stick where you are... and if you need to update, ideally test on a dev first.

18 hours ago, Jbro said:

Version: 7.8.1

if you're already using v7.8.1, then going to v7.8.3 is a minor jump and the hard work will have been done upgrading to v7.8.1

v7.8.2 & v7.8.3 will contain bug fixes for v7.8.1, but there are still plenty of known bugs with v7.8.3... so it's a case of either staying where you are, upgrading to v7.8.3 now, or waiting to see if a v7.8.4 release is on the way (i've no idea whether there is or not).