eWay gateway problems after upgrade to 7.8

slim

• 1 month later...

The new eWay integration is horrible. We also had to role the update back.

Almost all the credit cards we store are from clients calling us and entering the details over the phone.

Having this "Login" function that requires entering the client's mobile phone number to receive a SMS is ridiculous. We would go out of business if we rolled this update out.

Please remove this SMS login function. 

On 10/13/2019 at 2:47 PM, webics said:

Having this "Login" function that requires entering the client's mobile phone number to receive a SMS is ridiculous. We would go out of business if we rolled this update out.

This is a great example of how confusing the integration is - and why we eWay users have rolled back.. 

• WHMCS Support Manager

It should not be necessary to use this "Login" link to update the card details stored remotely at eWay and the token in WHMCS. Please just update the card number, expiry date and CVV number and click the "Pay Now" button.

With regards to removing the Login link, this implementation method does not offer a way for us to control the iframe's appearance: https://www.eway.com.au/developers/api/iframe/

However I do know it is possible to customise the logo and card scheme icons from eWay's side, so they may also have the ability to enable/disable this feature if you speak to their support team.

If you have a preferred alternative implementation method, please feel free to submit a new Feature Request over at https://requests.whmcs.com for potential consideration in future.

9 hours ago, WHMCS John said:

It should not be necessary to use this "Login" link to update the card details stored remotely at eWay and the token in WHMCS. Please just update the card number, expiry date and CVV number and click the "Pay Now" button.

With regards to removing the Login link, this implementation method does not offer a way for us to control the iframe's appearance: https://www.eway.com.au/developers/api/iframe/

However I do know it is possible to customise the logo and card scheme icons from eWay's side, so they may also have the ability to enable/disable this feature if you speak to their support team.

If you have a preferred alternative implementation method, please feel free to submit a new Feature Request over at https://requests.whmcs.com for potential consideration in future.

Hi John,

When I tested, if you didn't login and get the SMS code, the token was not stored in WHMCS / the credit card did not show on the client's profile. 

It even says in the eWay pop up that you need to login and receive the SMS  to store the card for recurring payments... So this is definitely how it works. Even if it did magically store a token when it says it does not, how confusing would that be for end users.... 

From my understanding, eWay have multiple API methods. The one WHMCS switched to in this update is designed for Online Shops (eg customer buys a once off product). 

This API method should not be used for service based businesses where it's expected the card to be saved for recurring payments. 

Kind Regards,
Ory

The eWay Secure Fields integration method should have been chosen. Its the best for PCI compliance and I believe its very similar to Stripe Elements. 

John, being able to process customer payments isnt a 'feature'. Your team chose the wrong eWay integration method in haste to get 7.8.x out the door and we are telling you its no good. We dont want to stay on old versions of WHMCS, but unless we can make you understand that it needs changing, we are going to have to do that.

Edited by slim

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi there,

In the same way as v7.7, once a client makes their first payment via eWay, a token is stored in WHMCS which can then be remotely charged and updated. You can see the token ID when viewing an invoice assigned to eWay in the admin area.

The workflow for updating a stored card at eWay via WHMCS in 7.8 is as follows:

1. Edit the Pay Method for the existing card (eg. a Mastercard)
  2. The iframe appears with the the email address and phone number pre-filled
  3. The client enters their new credit card number, expiry date and CVV (eg. an Amex)
  4. Click "Pay Now"
  5. The card details under the Token Payment Customer at eWay are updated with the new card - no charge is made
  6. The iframe closes and the Pay Method in WHMCS is updated to reflect the new Amex card number.

The process is the same for admins and clients, with the only difference being the starting point at step 1.

I've tested this process today in the eWay Sandbox environment using 7.8.3 with the hotfix applied, and can confirm that the process is working as expected:

1. I placed an order as a new client and used a Mastercard to successfully make payment (Order total 2.49 AUD).
  2. I then updated the Pay Method from a Mastercard to Amex via WHMCS.
  3. Then I created an invoice for 1.00 AUD, assigned to eWay Rapid payment gateway, published it and clicked "Attempt Capture".
  4. The invoice was marked paid in WHMCS.
  5. The transaction on the eWay control panel shows the invoice charges were made against the appropriate cards as I would expect:

20191017-1232.png

Please help us in understanding which part of the process is presenting the obstacle to you?

On 10/17/2019 at 10:38 PM, WHMCS John said:

Hi there,

In the same way as v7.7, once a client makes their first payment via eWay, a token is stored in WHMCS which can then be remotely charged and updated. You can see the token ID when viewing an invoice assigned to eWay in the admin area.

The workflow for updating a stored card at eWay via WHMCS in 7.8 is as follows:

1. Edit the Pay Method for the existing card (eg. a Mastercard)
  2. The iframe appears with the the email address and phone number pre-filled
  3. The client enters their new credit card number, expiry date and CVV (eg. an Amex)
  4. Click "Pay Now"
  5. The card details under the Token Payment Customer at eWay are updated with the new card - no charge is made
  6. The iframe closes and the Pay Method in WHMCS is updated to reflect the new Amex card number.

The process is the same for admins and clients, with the only difference being the starting point at step 1.

I've tested this process today in the eWay Sandbox environment using 7.8.3 with the hotfix applied, and can confirm that the process is working as expected:

1. I placed an order as a new client and used a Mastercard to successfully make payment (Order total 2.49 AUD).
  2. I then updated the Pay Method from a Mastercard to Amex via WHMCS.
  3. Then I created an invoice for 1.00 AUD, assigned to eWay Rapid payment gateway, published it and clicked "Attempt Capture".
  4. The invoice was marked paid in WHMCS.
  5. The transaction on the eWay control panel shows the invoice charges were made against the appropriate cards as I would expect:

20191017-1232.png

Please help us in understanding which part of the process is presenting the obstacle to you?

Hi John,

So I've set up a WHMCS test install, and connected it to the eWay Sandbox. 

When using the Sandbox, I'm not seeing the "Login" button, or the message saying you need to login in order to store the card for recurring payments - so this must be an issue with eWay or there must be a way to turn off the SMS login. 

Regardless, the secondary problem remains. 

1417170839_ScreenShot2019-10-19at10_42_27am.thumb.png.f24940f8fc17d0ede87eafe7f94714df.png

In order to store the credit card, you need to click "Pay Now" - although it's $0, that is still confusing the end users.

I'm still holding my ground that the wrong API method has been used.

Kind Regards,
Ory

On 19/10/2019 at 7:52 AM, webics said:

In order to store the credit card, you need to click "Pay Now" - although it's $0, that is still confusing the end users.

I'm still holding my ground that the wrong API method has been used.

Kind Regards,
Ory

Yes I agree.

The eWay Transparent Redirect is the appropriate method to be using.

The Pay Now button for updating a credit card is completely unconventional and confusing.

How can a customer even turn off auto credit card payments without deleting the credit card every time after the customer makes a payment.

Changing the account default payment method to PayPal to stop auto credit card payments is unconventional and confusing too.

Many customers want to keep their credit card on record and manually login to make payments when an invoice is due.

Hi John

First of all - The hotfix to 7.8.3 - I had no idea this existed till now - Even thou the bugs it fixes I reported - My ticket was closed without them providing any reference numbers. Ticket:  #TBY-993665

Second - While WHMCS seems to have fixed some of the bugs, it does not address the main issue - the user interface. Not only this, the integration is extremely slow compared to 7.7.x (i demonstrated this in the video I included in my ticket #TBY-993665)

The User interface simply must go. The client will NEVER hit a PAY NOW button to 'Update' their card details - even if it shows a $0.00 amount. Would you put your card details into a screen that looks like this when you owe nothing? (adding a new card in admin area)

There are so many things wrong with this.

1. Login button shouldn't be there in top right corner.

2. eWay logo shouldn't be there at all.

3. Purchase details shouldn't be there - they are not purchasing anything!

4. Card images listed are not complete.

5. Pay Now button shouldn't be there - All they are doing is adding a new card.

Compare to 7.7.x which i have placed in the screenshot. That's much more suitable.

Simply, WHMCS chose the wrong integration method without consultation with eWay. You rushed it out the door and now you are asking us to live with it. 

ewayupdatecard.png

• WHMCS Support Manager

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, that's most helpful. We are in touch with eWay in this matter, so will incorporate your feedback. Perhaps an option can be added to hide the Login link in live mode just like in Sandbox in the short term?

To address a few other specific points:

2. The eWay logo can be replaced with your own via the eWay website

4. The accepted card types can also be updated via the eWay website under Settings >> Shared Page.

Hi John

We won’t upgrade our live site with this new version (7.8.x) in its current state. We will continue using 7.7.x  and wait for the eWAY integration to be rewritten using the secure fields integration method before updating. We won’t subject ourselves or our users to this UI. 

Edited by slim

• 10 months later...
On 10/22/2019 at 8:39 PM, WHMCS John said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, that's most helpful. We are in touch with eWay in this matter, so will incorporate your feedback. Perhaps an option can be added to hide the Login link in live mode just like in Sandbox in the short term?

To address a few other specific points:

2. The eWay logo can be replaced with your own via the eWay website

4. The accepted card types can also be updated via the eWay website under Settings >> Shared Page.

I contacted eWay today, and they agree WHMCS has used the wrong API type. 

They said you should have used Token Payments (how it was setup before this latest update): https://www.eway.com.au/developers/api/token-payments/

Having the word "Pay Now" to save card details to an account is just bad  user interface design. I've never come across a website using the Iframe for saving card details to a customer account. It just makes no sense.. 

Is there plans to change it back to the Token Payments API? 

The eWay module has been updated  after I and a few other users complained. WHMCS rewrote the module and I can say its MUCH better now.  Just make sure you are using the latest version of WHMCS and the module will work fine. 

The screen shots shown earlier in this thread are now obsolete as the module was rewritten using a different integration method. Back when 7.8.2 came out someone lazy at WHMCS rewrote the eway module and used the easiest integration method - Which as you can see in the screen shots was simply not designed to work with a recurring payment system like WHMCS. Thanks to WHMCS and eWay for rewriting it and making it better than its ever been.

Edited by slim