When a domain is transferred out

somecows

hello,

I have WHMCS set up with the Enom reseller program  and a client recently transferred a domain away to another registration. The transfer was successful and in WHMCS the status now says "Transferred Away".

I was assuming that the invoice that existed for the domain renewal would be automatically cancelled, but that does not appear to be the case.

just wondering if this is expected behavior or not?

thank you

3 minutes ago, somecows said:

I was assuming that the invoice that existed for the domain renewal would be automatically cancelled, but that does not appear to be the case.

if the invoice was already generated before the transfer began, then i'm not sure that WHMCS would cancel it automatically - off-hand, I can't think of a similar case we've had to deal with, so have never ran into this... after the domain has been transferred away, it shouldn't generate future renewal invoices, but that sounds irrelevant in your case if it was created before the transfer.

unless one of the support techs replies and tells you differently, I suspect you'll have to cancel the existing invoice manually.

Thanks for your reply. 

it would be nice if WHMCS were set up to cancel the invoice automatically, since obviously it should not be paid once the domain is transferred away.  However, I will just go in and cancel it manually.

So as far as you know, it won't continue to renew / generate invoices in the future? The client is concerned because when he logs in to his client area of WHMCS, it still says "auto renew" after the domain, even though it also says "Transferred Away".

Thanks again

@somecows As @brian! indicated you would need to cancel the invoice manually, we don't cancel already generated invoices for domain names when they are transferred away.  In terms of future invoices, no these will not be generated, as 1) It's in transferred away status therefore no-longer under your control 2) The Next Due date is not updated therefore the cron has no indication it needs to create an invoice.

• 3 years later...

Is there a feature request to make it so that "status.transferred away" domains check for and cancel related invoices?  Current system has us charging folks for domains we no longer control, and there is no heads up/To-Do for admin to be alerted that something needs to be done

edit: Found it, please vote: https://requests.whmcs.com/idea/cancel-domain-invoice-on-transferred-away

Edited by BuffaloWeb

6 hours ago, BuffaloWeb said:

Is there a feature request to make it so that "status.transferred away" domains check for and cancel related invoices?  Current system has us charging folks for domains we no longer control, and there is no heads up/To-Do for admin to be alerted that something needs to be done

edit: Found it, please vote: https://requests.whmcs.com/idea/cancel-domain-invoice-on-transferred-away

Would you want this to run on a cron that checks all domains that are transferred away and cancel unpaid invoices related to them, or only when the status changes to Transferred Away (e.g. manually or automatically).

7 hours ago, BuffaloWeb said:

I think far better to just be a reaction to stimulus:  So when a client domain hits "Transferred away" status, that triggers a cancellation of associated invoice.

Unfortunately WHMCS doesn't seem to have a hook point for when a domain's status is updated. If it were updated by an admin, it could potentially be done using the DomainEdit hook, however if its done automatically, I don't believe there's a way to do this.

I could throw together something that runs on the daily cron, checks all domains that are transferred away and then check their related invoices. If the invoice is unpaid and only the domain is on the invoice, cancel it. If the domain is not the only item on the invoice, then split it onto its own invoice and cancel it.

If you want me to put this together, please let me know.