Gmail no longer grouping "conversation" emails from WHMCS support

sol2010

Hello

Since April Google has made some changes to Gmail in that Gmail no longer simply groups email conversations based on subject line and ticket ID etc.

Now, Gmail will only group emails if the email contains reference IDs in the header, for the previous emails.

Since many clients use Gmail and the support tickets have previously been grouped based on [ticket #12345] etc, now it is most unfortunate that this doesn't work - and instead, users are receiving new email each time.

We have had a lot of clients comment on this issue.

Can WHMCS consider adding some additional setting inside email header to provide reference to previously sent email IDs?

Previously, Gmail would thread together messages when either:

• A message is sent in reply to another, or
  • A message has:
    • The same sender or recipients
    • The same subject
    • Is sent within one week of an earlier message in the thread

With this change, Google has added the requirement that an incoming message’s Reference header, if present, must reference IDs of previous messages in order to thread. This means that if you receive two emails with the same subject from the same sender, these emails will not be threaded together unless one explicitly references the other.

For further clarification, the first email’s Message-ID should match the second email’s References and In-Reply-To.

Threading-header-png-1080-600.jpg

https://gsuiteupdates.googleblog.com/2019/03/threading-changes-in-gmail-conversation-view.html

https://support.google.com/mail/thread/3398996?hl=en

Edited by sol2010

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

No - I have no solution to this.  It is still the same and is highly frustrating.

I contacted Google and they told me it was due to the way the email headers are set.

I have contacted WHMCS and they are not interested.  WHMCS does nothing as usual.  

Basically, you're on your own - probably be better to look for a different support solution?