Banned IP 3 times only? How do I increase this setting to at least 10 tries?

23 hours ago, bear said:

Chris, why is this not one of the settings we can manage? 

isn't it just a legacy thing? e.g it's always been hardcoded to 3 and nobody has seemingly asked for it to be increased/manageable (judging from the apparent lack of a feature request)... though I doubt having a FR would make any difference to that.🙄

Just now, bear said:

I don't recall off hand, but when it comes to something like this, it would be preferable as a user setting. Default to 3, sure, but allow change.

I agree that it should be a user setting - it's just that i'm unsure of the best path to actually get WHMCS to do something... no point going down the FR route; it's not a bug, so a bug report would be a dead-end too; we're months away from the next beta period; and we can't all fly to the next trade show to have a quiet word in someone's ear. ✈️

I'm still waiting on the UK vs US date on domain sync fix, so I doubt this will get any traction either. 😉
If I were going to "have a word in person" with these folks, it would be to respectfully request things not be added/implemented without offering opting in or out explicitly (I'm looking at you, Marketplace and SSL checking). User choice is good. We get less as time goes on. 

13 minutes ago, bear said:

I'm still waiting on the UK vs US date on domain sync fix, so I doubt this will get any traction either. 😉

is that not fixed yet? I don't think there's another scheduled released until May... and I assume if they were going to hotfix it, they would have by now.

13 minutes ago, bear said:

If I were going to "have a word in person" with these folks, it would be to respectfully request things not be added/implemented without offering opting in or out explicitly (I'm looking at you, Marketplace and SSL checking). User choice is good. We get less as time goes on. 

I was thinking how rarely Matt himself posts here any more (ignoring announcements) - about once a year in both 2018 and 2017... is he even aware of the widespread discontent in this place? does he even care ?? (perhaps not as long as the $$$ is rolling in from MarketConnect) 🙄

usually, the only time I see him here is when there is a hotfix imminent and he, alongside a couple of devs, are all looking at the same thread... weirdly, the last time I saw him here (last month I think), he was looking at one of my threads (on count totals in the client summary page)... I dunno why that would be of interest to him, if WHMCS were going to do that, they would do it in the core code, not in the template. 😕

in any event, i'd really like to see him come here more often and justify the bilge that been dispensed by WHMCS for the last couple of years... because there is absolutely no doubt there is more of it on the way. 😞

4 hours ago, brian! said:

is that not fixed yet?

Not that I've been made aware of, no. Maybe I was the only one complaining, and that's not nearly enough. I know to look for it now, but something like that would likely be far simpler to use the system date/zone setting the system is set to than to add that into various functions separately. Set a constant, call it as needed in whatever encoded files and so on. 

As for Matt, I got the impression when Cpanel got involved he stepped back from the direction the script takes. As time passes, the changes are more and more Cpanel-like, as with their propensity to add in things for sale like SSL certs, Kernelcare and so on. I can't blame a company for attempting to increase the bottom line, but we're paying for this product; we should have a say in what gets sold through it (more than just not using that marketplace, but not installing it). Make things like that an addon module, for those that want to sell what's in it. 

/rant over

14 hours ago, bear said:

As for Matt, I got the impression when Cpanel got involved he stepped back from the direction the script takes.

he's still got 51% of the shares, and is not a stooge for cPanel - in my eyes, he's signed off on everything released over the last few years... either he's responsible as it's his company and he's in charge, or he's allowing someone else to call the shots, but is still involved in it's development (perhaps in a cursory way).

to be honest, i've got past caring... yes there are issues with the feature requests system, support, this place, marketplace, marketconnect... I could go on, but ultimately the biggest problem is the untested unrequested bloated dross being pushed to us in every release... and either it's his responsibility, or he doesn't know what's going on... not good either way. 😞

1 hour ago, brian! said:

either it's his responsibility, or he doesn't know what's going on

This. 
I wouldn't call him a stooge at all, but I think his 51% is on paper, and it's not him fully driving the direction (maybe the CP folks are being persuasive or convincing him profit needs to be increased by any means...oh and here's a few things we can do that we've already rolled in). He has a controlling interest, but only just. He's not engaged here personally, and to me that feels like he's far less involved overall now. Love to be wrong, and it's just an opinion.

58 minutes ago, bear said:

He has a controlling interest, but only just.

51% is effectively the same as 80% if there are only two owners of the company - he can't be overruled... maybe he has to listen to what cPanel say to him, but not necessarily obey.

1 hour ago, bear said:

He's not engaged here personally, and to me that feels like he's far less involved overall now.

then if that's true, he needs to start getting involved before it's too late... and if he is involved, perhaps he needs to stop and move on... the current situation is untenable and can't continue for too much longer.

as I said, i've seen him here during the beta periods (in a number of guises), and when hotfixes are imminent... and maybe he's lurking here regularly but anonymously - though I doubt it.

now you predate me in this place, and I can remember reading very old threads where he was seemingly very hands-on with replies (maybe when this was 100% his company) - but those days will never return.

I can remember repeatedly saying years ago that WHMCS were terrible communicators with their user base - and unbelievably, they've got worse as time has gone on... that must come from the top and poor management / leadership.

at the end of the day, whatever happens will be on his head... we've all tried to warn them what's going wrong, but if they want to carry on as they are, then that's their choice.

thankfully, it makes no difference to me as my income is not the slightest bit dependent upon WHMCS (either for hosting business or development), so i'm free to say whatever I like (within the guidelines!) - which I know staff or third-party developers cannot do for fear of their positions.

2 hours ago, brian! said:

now you predate me in this place, and I can remember reading very old threads where he was seemingly very hands-on with replies (maybe when this was 100% his company)

He was very involved, and we used to communicate via the community fairly often. Following the Cpanel involvement, I don't believe I'd ever spoken (written form) with him again. All of my interactions from then on were mainly folks either from Cpanel (Infopro, from Cpanel, was placed in charge of this community for a time, but seems to have moved on in that regard) or those hired after the "partnership". To hear Cpanel tell it, this was merely an investment and not a direct partnership, but it's clear that was either untrue or evolved since then. The direction and sales-y direction feels more like Cpanel than Matt. Though Matt may be involved in signing off on versions and changes, I don't believe he's driving the boat, so to speak.

Dragged this pretty far off topic, so I'll bow out here. Miss you, Matt. :)