WHMCS MaxMind Error

akust0m

Hi there,

We're running WHMCS 7.6 and have updated the MaxMind settings as per WHMCS instructions for the update.

We just received an order but it was flagged as 'Fraud'. The clients order scored 0.10 with the MaxMind module, but we have our MaxMind Fraud Risk Score set to 25.

When we checked the order MaxMind report, it mentioned the following error:

Encountered value at /billing/region that does not meet the required constraints.

What does this mean? How can we resolve this to ensure no further orders are incorrectly flagged as fraud?

Thank you.

Hi @WHMCS ChrisD,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm not using any custom region overrides that I'm aware of, certainly no hooks that would interfere with this.

The order itself looks normal to me. Our only clients are from Australia, and the State/Region are populated in a drop-down menu, so they can't be entered incorrectly:

GCwpgh.jpg

Is "/billing/region" referring to the "State/Region" in a clients WHMCS profile?

The first MaxMind score for the initial order was 0.21, and when I clicked 'Re-Run Fraud Check', I got 0.10. Here are the events in MaxMind itself:

K136vU.jpg

The overall MaxMind fraud check looks like this in WHMCS:

g73zXQ.jpg

Any further ideas?

Thanks!

I re-ran the MaxMind check using 'Insights' and it is now showing a lot of useful information.

Edit: Whilst the MaxMind check is coming up with all the IP address, billing address and email address info, it is still showing the the following warning:

Warning:    Encountered value at /billing/region that does not meet the required constraints.

Edited by akust0m

I just updated to 7.6.1 and am still receiving the error. It appears the call is not sending the ISO 3166-2 subdivision code that MaxMind requires for region. I checked the module log and it has "[region] => Colorado" I believe this should be "[region] => CO"  (Edit as I look at more links. Should it actually be USCO? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-2:US 

From the MAxMind API - "region     string (4)     The ISO 3166-2 subdivision code for the user’s billing address."
https://dev.maxmind.com/minfraud/#Billing_billing 

When editing a client the state drop down shows the full state names. There is no way to enter "CO"

Edited by ZeroGravity
Extra Info

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As time passes..... It seems to only be happening when a client logs in to renew a domain before the invoice has been automatically created by WHMCS. I have invoices being created 14 days before renewal. I don't see the error when someone logs in to pay an invoice that already exists.

It seems to occur when they login, click to renew the domain which creates the order and invoice. When they try to pay using a credit card (stripe) they get the IP country related error. NetEarth One is the registrar.

I don't know if this had been marked as resolved somewhere so being ignored but can someone please help.

Thanks!

Edited by ZeroGravity

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi @ZeroGravity,

The error from your screenshot is different from that being described by the OP in this thread, and unlikely to be the reason for an order to be declined.

The fraud check is triggered when an order is placed. Paying an auto-renewal invoice is note related to an order, so the fraud check is not run.

Can you please share a screenshot of the Maxmind report for this order, along with your Maxmind settings? (blank out any sensitive information)

Thanks for replying John!!

From the module log the error returned from MaxMind is the same as the OP's ([warning] => Encountered value at /billing/region that does not meet the required constraints) so I assumed the error was the same.

I just noticed what the OP said about Service Type being "Insights" instead of score. 😣  I have changed the Service Type to "insights" to see if that resolves the problem. Will need to wait for another transaction to see what happens. Up till now I have needed to uncheck "Block orders where order address is different from IP Location" to get the transaction to go through. Like the OP I assume the region error will continue so have included the additional information you requested.

This is the MaxMind request in the Module Log.

Array
(
    [device] => Array
        (
            [ip_address] => xxxx
        )

[event] => Array
        (
            [transaction_id] => xxxxxxxxx
            [type] => purchase
        )

[account] => Array
        (
            [user_id] => XX
            [username_md5] => xxxxxx
        )

[email] => Array
        (
            [address] => xxx
            [domain] => xxx
        )

[billing] => Array
        (
            [first_name] => XXX
            [last_name] => XXX
            [company] => XXX
            [address] => XXX
            [city] => XXXX
            [region] => Nebraska
            [postal] => xxxxx
            [country] => US
            [phone_number] => xxxxxxxxxx
            [phone_country_code] => 1
        )

[payment] => Array
        (
            [processor] => paypal
        )

[order] => Array
        (
            [amount] => 13.95
            [currency] => USD
            [discount_code] => 
        )

)

This is the response in the Module log

Array
(
    [id] => xxxx
    [risk_score] => 0.1
    [funds_remaining] => xx.xxxx
    [queries_remaining] => xxxx
    [warnings] => Array
        (
            [0] => Array
                (
                    [code] => INPUT_INVALID
                    [warning] => Encountered value at /billing/region that does not meet the required constraints.
                    [input_pointer] => /billing/region
                )

)

[ip_address] => Array
        (
            [risk] => 0.01
        )

[http_response_code] => 200
)

Attached screenshots from MaxMind and WHMCS fraud settings. Is that the information you needed?

Thanks!

MaxMind minFraud Inputs.jpg

WHMCS MaxMind Settings.jpg

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi @ZeroGravity,

In v7.6.1 you shouldn't see the location warning on the Order Details page in WHMCS. Can you post a screenshot of that please? Orders > List All Orders > Click Order ID.

The following options you have enabled require the Insights or Factors service type:

• Reject Country Missmatch
  • Reject Anonymous Networks
  • Reject High Risk Countries

So you'll need to change from Score to Insights of Factors for those to work.

• 2 weeks later...

I am running in to the same issue here. I have 7.6.1 installed and using the MaxMind Score. The scores are all coming back less that 1 on the risk score and WHMCS is marking them all as Fraud. We were getting the error last night that the IP did not match the users address but it did.

Yes And I have updated to 7.6.1. I was using score only but have changed it to insights to see if I get any different results but I haven't gotten a new order yet.  The Scores were way below my set threshold and WHMCS was still marking them as fraud. I reached out to MaxMind as well thinking it was something on their end but they said many customers have reached out to them but it's an issue on WHMCS's side and that when I saw this

I've gone in and enabled module logging for now but the customers were saying the errors where the same as the users above.(Country of their IP didn't match etc) But it did in all cases.

There was nothing in the log because it was disabled. I said I enabled it in my reply.  I don't have a new real world order to see anything yet. 

All I know is the last 5 orders all were marked as fraud and the max mind score was less than 1.0