Recurring Billing through Cron Job not working any longer, why?

I build this server 6 months ago along with the quarterly billing through WHMCS. The first quarter we did the invoicing manually as we set everything up and then during the second quarter billing (4-1-17), everything billed perfectly to the clients CC using WHMCS and Authorize.net. Unfortunately, I just checked our server and WHMCS to see if any CC payments did not go through and ZERO invoices were generated on 7-1-17. When I check all the client settings, they all show that invoicing should have occurred, but there are no generated invoices in the system at all. When I talked to my host, they checked the logs and the WHNCS cron job and it is not able to run any longer. Why? Nothing has changed since I built this setup just 6 months ago and already it's broken.

I am running WHMCS: 6.3.1 and have discussed updating the system to the latest version. Why though, even without an upgrade, would the cronjob not be working. properly any longer? How can I fix this?

Just FYI on this issue. I checked the Utilities, Logs, Activity Logs, and the daily Cron Job was running perfectly since I made this server up until 5-16-17 at 21:04 hours. I have no idea why this daily would have stopped working, but I can not figure it out. We have made no changes to the system, server or WHMCS software, yet it no longer works as before. I am discussing trying to find out if there are any error logs that can tell me if the cron job is trying to run, but the activity log just shows ZERO activity sine 5-16-17. It just stops.

Can anyone give me any ideas of what to do?

Another update for anyone reading: I finally got to a support guy that checked the default version of PHP running on the server. It was set to php7 as of 5-16-17, thus breaking the WHMCS cron jobs. Once we reverted the version to 5.5 and ran the cron job manually, everything worked. I will need to upgrade to php7 soon, so should I update the WHMCS software first, or the php version first? Then, I will need to make sure all client CMS software are upgraded to the latest version to run with php7.