New Forum

PPH

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some type or redirect needs to be setup so that all the links to topics on the old forum that are indexed in search engines still work.

That just isn't feasible in this case, IMO (unless you know of a way?). The paths are different, and the thread, forum and post IDs are too different to be able to create a ModRewrite to port them over. The best option would probably be to rewrite the old forum address to the new one, without any of the forum/thread/post IDs. This would point old bookmarks to the site, where they could search for the info, and at least point SEs to the new location so they have a chance to spider sooner (though they are already seeing the new site).

On the plus side, VB has an "archive" function with SEO friendly pages for it to reindex it all quickly.

Re: Font size

We discovered that an addtional style sheet we'd added in to manage the WHMCS header was taking precedence over the native VB styles. Moved it higher up in the code, and it was once again managed via VB's style sheet. Apologies for the "adventures" with fonts going from way too small to incredibly huge for a bit...:D

Can't say like VB or IPB or PHPBB for that matter - I am a UBB.Threads man ;) (I run several of my own forums)

However hopefully this will keep a better record of which threads I have read - I was finding in the last week or two that it was marking as read posts, which I have not visited, and failing to mark as read the ones that I had LOL

Hopefully I can get used to this ;)

Thanks for all your hard work Bear & Matt :)

On the subject of search times - first of all I am assuming these are for members only (this will reduce the load on the server) - also a good idea to exclude spiders from such pages. Secondly time limits are only annoying when you search for something draw a blank and need to re-search. In these circumstances 30 seconds seems like a mighty long time LOL

That just isn't feasible in this case, IMO (unless you know of a way?). The paths are different, and the thread, forum and post IDs are too different to be able to create a ModRewrite to port them over.

It would have been possible using a vB Mod, if you hadn't already deleted the import Id's. ;)

Aren't import IDs only available for merges? For an import from one to a blank VB forum, I thought they didn't have import IDs. Explain a bit more, please.

I'm pretty sure import IDs go away once you have "finalized" your merge. In my opinion, it's far more trouble than it's worth: the old forums weren't indexed all that well in the first place, so why bother killing yourself over forwarding to the new ones?

I have to say I am impressed (so much in fact I decided to register :shock:). Nice job bear!

Alex

Sig is ok. Just don't get carried away with pricing and plan details and you'll be fine. Of course, you're advertising webhosting to webhosts...oh, wait...(looks at his own sig)...so am I. :oops:

:-P

Indeed....hence why I asked as I saw your sig and presumed it was ok :)

As for pricing etc....hey, this is your forums not mine.

I don't tell unless asked and even then, there is a link in my sig...click it and it explains all :D

Cheers Bear.

Dale

Larger ? Its twice the size it was and 70%+ of my screen is now just whitespace - I want to see it smaller by a factor of 3....
I think you are a little late to this thread :D

The size has been increased and if you read the rest where it was agreed by quite a few it was too small to which Bear worked on it til it is the size now...Had to break out the magnifying glass before

poke.gif

Keep trying!

Good deal I have a day job. :lol:

To answer something that was brought up to me just now:

Dates:

It's in the UK format because the company is based there. Makes sense the board owner can decide to use that format.

Search time limit:

Yes, it's 30 seconds. We're hoping that members can search effectively and find what they need without having to do multiple searches one after another. Is it a pain? Some times, yes.

Search word size limit (currently three):

If allowed to search on all words, it finds really common ones. Makes it harder to sift through the results for what you're really looking for, and increases DB indexes (the person that wrote didn't seem to think that's an issue, but we do). It's fairly pointless. Commonly searched words with 3 letters are allowed, however, such as php, ftp, css and so on.