WHMCS Official Stripe gateway for 7.1

gbotica

Hi,

I am setting to test the new Stripe gateway in WHMCS 7.1, so far all has gone well and I have processed test payments successfully.

I note that on the Payment Gateway set up page I get the error about template modifications not being present, but this must be a bug, as I am using a child order form, inheriting from standard_cart and I've checked that the 1 template I've modified is up to date and correct. (If I switch to the original standard_cart to error notice goes away)

My question is regard these statements from the WHMCS Docs Stripe page (http://docs.whmcs.com/Stripe):

• When making a payment, customers are able to select to use a previously stored card or enter a new one.
  • Customers can update their credit card at any time from the client area.
  • Admin level users with the necessary permissions can also perform card updates from the admin area.

This is light in detail, to say the least! Where / how do client update card information? Where / how can admin users perform card updates?

Can anyone provide more info on how these functions are performed?

Thanks.

Hi Gbotica,

Customers can enter their credit card details when ordering or via the "Manage Credit Card" link in their client area, it's important to note however for existing clients you wish to use stripe you need to ensure their profile shows Stripe (or default if stripe is your default payment method.

From the admin point of view this is done via Credit Card Information in your "General Tab"

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I've got the Manage Credit Card page enabled in the client area now.

I have tested making an initial payment with Stripe - this works OK. And a follow up order also shows the "use existing card" or "add new card" option on the checkout page.

However, I have been unable to add a new card directly in the Client Area, or from the WHMCS Admin -- this just doesn't seem to work.

Client Area: clicking button results in the button changing to inactive, but nothing happens. I see the POST with status 200 in the Stripe API log, but no card is added.

WHMCS Admin: Adding card info appears to work, form submits and message confirmation appears, but no card is saved in the account. Again, Stripe log shows 200 POST response but no card is showing in WHMCS.

So, at this stage I have no way of moving existing customers over to using Stripe, only new orders appear to work.

Here's an (edited) response example from Stripe API. All seems OK, but nothing is added in WHMCS.

{
 "id": "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX",
 "object": "token",
 "card": {
   "id": "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX",
   "object": "card",
   "address_city": null,
   "address_country": null,
   "address_line1": null,
   "address_line1_check": null,
   "address_line2": null,
   "address_state": null,
   "address_zip": null,
   "address_zip_check": null,
   "brand": "Visa",
   "country": "NZ",
   "cvc_check": "unchecked",
   "dynamic_last4": null,
   "exp_month": 1,
   "exp_year": 2018,
   "funding": "credit",
   "last4": "XXXX",
   "metadata": {},
   "name": null,
   "tokenization_method": null
 },
 "client_ip": "XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX",
 "created": 1485142875,
 "livemode": true,
 "type": "card",
 "used": false
}

Hi again...

After browsing some other threads on this and taking the following literally...

Customers can update their credit card at any time from the client area.

Admin level users with the necessary permissions can also perform card updates from the admin area.

It appears that perhaps the WHMCS Stripe module only allows Clients and Admins to UPDATE existing credit card details, AFTER a customer has already paid an invoice or checked out, using Stripe.

For Clients is particular, the Manage Credit Card page is therefore very misleading and bound to cause a lot of confusion.

So, if I'm right, to move customers over to using Stripe, they need to pay using Stripe from an invoice, but cannot simply go to the Manage Credit Card page in the Client Area and add a card.

Adding to the confusion however, is your statement:

Customers can enter their credit card details when ordering or via the "Manage Credit Card" link in their client area

Which seems to be saying that clients can add new cards via Manage Credit Card.

Could you please confirm what the current behaviour is, and also whether WHMCS is working to resolve this serious issue with the module.

Thanks.

Edited by gbotica

Hi,

I've come up with a workaround to the issue of not being able to add a credit card via the Client Area - Manage Credit Card page. It's not ideal, but works OK.

Editing 'clientareacreditcard.tpl', I have wrapped the H3 heading and form in a conditional Smarty tag, checking the 'clientsdetails.gatewayid' variable. There could be other gateways that store a value here, so I'm checking for the "cus_" prefix that Stripe uses. (I have a PayPal gateway extension that also uses the "gatewayid", so just checking if it's empty was not sufficient.

{if $clientsdetails.gatewayid|strpos:'cus_'===0}

<h3>{$LANG.creditcardenternewcard}</h3>

</form>

{else}

<p style="text-align: center">To add a credit card, please <a href='/clientarea.php?action=invoices'><strong>pay an invoice</strong></a> by selecting the "Credit Card" payment method.<br>Once completed, the saved card will appear here.</p>

{/if}

I'd be interested to hear anyone's experience with trying this work around.