Domain register for 2 years, renewal for 1 year - it is possible?

skynetworkhu

Check the Enable box to enable the pricing for that currency and term. Set Transfer/Renew pricing to -1 to disable transfers and renewals for that term.

Enable the checkbox for the 1 year and set -1 on inputs that you want to disable.

Scratch that. I just saw that its doing the same to me too, for this

Edited by priestakos

the way to do it, in previous versions, would have been to enable the 1 yr and set the register price to 0 (trans/renew can still be set to -1 to disable them)... but that changed with v6 and certainly v7 - because doing that would now effectively make the registration free... if you set the registration price to -1, then it disables the option.

that being the case, i'm struggling to think of a good way to suggest how to do this. :?:

off the top of my head, the only two ideas I can think of are quite messy and would involve tweak to the templates or hooks...

1. set a (high) registration price for 1 yr - but hide the option in the cart and/or default to 2 yrs...

2. accept a 2 year renew - but renew it yearly for 2 years...

i'm not overly keen on either, but it's all I can come up with. :roll:

• 4 months later...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you can disable 1 year, would the problem not be solved?

I say this because you will populate price for 2,3,4,5 years?

I think the point is he wants to renew for 1 year only, but register for 2... so if he disables 1 year, then his clients can't renew for one year.

long-term solution would be to get WHMCS to think this is an issue and get them to change how things like this are handled - but on a practical level, it's going to need a custom solution... not least because by default WHMCS would set the renewal period to be the same as the registration period.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

No change, I have the same problem with .ai and .as and .to. Looks like .bs is similar.

I see there is a feature request:
https://requests.whmcs.com/topic/allow-transfer-renew-price-when-register-price-is-disable-for-domain-pricing

But though it is labeled "under consideration," it is archived and closed to comments.

Maybe it needs another feature request?

18 hours ago, prxy said:

Maybe it needs another feature request?

there's little point in replacing an existing feature request that has 2 votes, with a new request that would then only have one - chances are that your new request would either be rejected, or merged with the existing request... so nothing gained.

20 hours ago, prxy said:

No change, I have the same problem with .ai and .as and .to. Looks like .bs is similar.

can .ai domains be renewed for 1 year ? I thought it was 2-9 ?

23 minutes ago, brian! said:

there's little point in replacing an existing feature request that has 2 votes, with a new request that would then only have one - chances are that your new request would either be rejected, or merged with the existing request... so nothing gained.

That makes sense, I'm happy to try a workaround, but in my searching have not found anything. We could just leave off one year renewal and somehow note to contact us for transfers? I guess if we want to improve this we'll need to see  if something can be done with a module or other customization?

22 minutes ago, brian! said:

Correct, I was thinking Transfer would need to be on the 1 year line?

Thanks,

Noah

1 hour ago, brian! said:

No, they are 2 years minimum. I'm not sure why people would be willing to lose money by offering 1 year for domains that require 2 years length many people will not renew the second year, and they would have to cover the financial loss.

It makes it look great and cheaper, but its a fact that if you offer 1 year, plenty of people will register a domain but never used it, as such they will not renew either.

On 21/11/2020 at 17:18, prxy said:

That makes sense, I'm happy to try a workaround, but in my searching have not found anything.

I don't think there would be a simple solution to this - especially if the registration period = renewal period internal hard coding is still in place (haven't played with that in v8.1, but have no reason to assume it will have changed).

as you know, the best solution would be to get WHMCS to change domain pricing and the aspect of entering a registration price enabled that year.... but that' s not going to happen this year, and probably not next.

On 21/11/2020 at 17:18, prxy said:

I guess if we want to improve this we'll need to see  if something can be done with a module or other customization?

that's the road you're going to have to go down - with just 2 votes, I can't see this being introduced anytime soon by WHMCS.

first place to check for existing modules on this would be Marketplace, but nothing springs to mind... registrar gateways might be worth a search if there is a WHMCS module for your registrar and they support these TLDs you're wanting to resell.

I just double-checked .to and it can be registered for 2, 3, 5, 10, 25, 100 years, but renewed for 1-3, 5, 10, 25, 100 - WHMCS would natively only support upto 10 years, so anything beyond that would need a custom solution.

unless you specifically run into a TLD where renewal period is always less than the smallest registration period (which I don't think your list or com.bd do), then I would just let registration equal renewal, e.g if they reg for 2 years, then they can renew at 2 years (optionally if you enabled renew of demand then addition years could be added if applicable).