WHMCS v7: explore domain TLDs

Hal9000

not to drag the thread off-topic, but the two big issues with the navbar/sidebar is the bizarre thinking that WHMCS believed their users should be capable of writing hooks just to change the navigation - they should either have delayed the launch until they'd developed a menu manager feature (now available as 3rd-party addons), or made the documentation absolutely idiot-proof... the fact they did neither is telling, though sadly, not surprising.

the rest of your post, and the one in the TLDs thread, I largely agree with.

Bizarre you say? I was said this is not a bug and I should put in a Feature Request if I need to modify the HTML code in those parts. Really. No joke. You could modify this in v4/v5 without issues, it was of course in the templates files, now its encoded. I’m talking here about the visible website to customers. Now it’s a feature request if you need to change the HTML in your own site. I’m seriously considering to switch now because I’m having more problems with encoded parts lately, that are affecting the visual and branding part. I will not make the mistake again of choosing anything encoded.

Same goes for modules. I will not buy a single encoded module again from a vendor, if someone encodes the license and core server part, ok. But encoding HTML that is output or generated to the browser is unacceptable. This is just bad developing or let’s say sloppy and lazy. All the code that has output to the browser should never be encoded, only the code that runs inside the server and of course a proper developer would not do that mistake in the first place to mix design with server logic. Why even have templates if this is how they plan to release new versions.

Personally while v7 has some nice changes, and the new domain search is better, in a global perspective its an downgrade if you are selling domains. Maybe they will add the code later on, but they should not release a new feature by removing tons of old features. That is not an upgrade but a downgrade. An upgrade is when you keep adding new features on top of the old ones and if the old ones are bad, you re-code from scratch again in order to give the same functionality or better to customers.

From v5 to v6 they removed things, from v6 to v7 they removed more. I completely understand they are removing old code, but they are making WHMCS inferior. I completely understand that most people have to use their own theme, code, and designs. I agree, but they should always ship at least 1 default theme and 1 default cart, and that one should have at least basic functionality a new customer would expect. If they want to change or add more advanced things, so be it, but relying on hacking code around to add things back is a bad business approach, in particular as WHMCS increased the pricing you would expect more, not less. Support is down the pipe as well. Usually you received a reply 2 - 6 hours. Now its 24 hours or more to receive one reply.

Absolutely agree with you!!!

Edited by indy0077

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

Thanks for your comments regarding the domain pricing list guys. Our feature team has received your feedback and desire for a return to the full TLD pricing list page.

To touch on some of the other points raised in this thread if I may; moving files and changing the structure is never a decision we take lightly, but this has been part of our long-term implementation plan for the auto updater. We gradually changed the product behaviour across several new feature updates to ease the changes in rather than dropping them all in v7.0; for example menu customisation via hooks, override files for languages, whois servers and additional domain fields. All of which mean that the auto-updater can do its thing without touching the customisations you've made.

All of which mean that the auto-updater can do its thing without touching the customisations you've made.

unless you haven't renamed the "Six" theme, but are using a custom.css file - the auto-updater will quite happily overwrite that... though apparently that's not a bug. :roll:

https://forum.whmcs.com/showthread.php?125882-WHMCS-v7-1-2-upgrade-bug

Hi,

Thanks for your comments regarding the domain pricing list guys. Our feature team has received your feedback and desire for a return to the full TLD pricing list page.

To touch on some of the other points raised in this thread if I may; moving files and changing the structure is never a decision we take lightly, but this has been part of our long-term implementation plan for the auto updater. We gradually changed the product behaviour across several new feature updates to ease the changes in rather than dropping them all in v7.0; for example menu customisation via hooks, override files for languages, whois servers and additional domain fields. All of which mean that the auto-updater can do its thing without touching the customisations you've made.

While bringing the pricing page would be important its not a critical bug because in the meantime someone can recreate the pricing page or even put manually a pricing list up.

But the WHOIS bug is a non stopper and you should fix this. I can't sell domains in the mean time because of this. If you are using a Lookup Provider please make WHMCS fall back to the Standard Whois (local JSON) for extensions that don't exist or it can't find in the Lookup Provider otherwise you can't offer manual or custom TLD that is not supported by that registrar (you can't use more than one registrar anymore).

Its very easy to fix, if a TLD does not exist in Lookup Provider, WHMCS should try or fail back to the local JSON Whois file (Standard Whois).

Brian said in another post this was actually working correctly in the Beta testing for v7, and for some reason in the production release it was changed. There is a bug reported for this already.

Brian said in another post this was actually working correctly in the Beta testing for v7, and for some reason in the production release it was changed. There is a bug reported for this already.

just to be clear, it was my recollection that it worked like that in the beta, but I could very easily be mistaken... and if John says that it didn't, then i'm not going to contradict him.

I can certainly remember testing a beta and thinking that it was (e.g using resellerclub as LP, but it using JSON Whois for a TLD not sold by resellerclub)... but as I say, this was months ago and I wouldn't bet my life on it either way! :)

just to be clear, it was my recollection that it worked like that in the beta, but I could very easily be mistaken... and if John says that it didn't, then i'm not going to contradict him.

I can certainly remember testing a beta and thinking that it was (e.g using resellerclub as LP, but it using JSON Whois for a TLD not sold by resellerclub)... but as I say, this was months ago and I wouldn't bet my life on it either way! :)

WHMCS confirmed to me that this is indeed a bug #CORE-10906. I can't imagine it otherwise because I can't use the new Lookup Provider because of this bug. If I select a Registrar Lookup Provider, my local Whois for domain extensions that are not offered by that Registrar stop working. This should not be the case. There is no reason to have a local JSON Whois file if you can't use it.