4 WHMCS Installs + 4 Domains Connected to 1 Database?

The Turn Group

Question

Here is what I want to do.

1 Primary Domain

3 Different Domains

4 Installs of WHMCS all using the same database.

3 installs of WHMCS connected to primary database, so all WHMCS installs show same information.

If all plans are the exact same and we are using one server, Is it possible for a customer to signup on any domain, purchase hosting from each site, all information logged in one database and access their accounts from each domain which is connected to one database? All billing would be from the same company, everything would be the same, but they can access their account from any website because ALL WHMCS installs connect to the same DB/server?

16 answers to this question

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

Whilst this is theoretically possible by adjusting the database connection details in the configuration.php file in each installation to point to the same database, this is not something for which WHMCS is designed so not something we could recommend or support.

Hi,

Whilst this is theoretically possible by adjusting the database connection details in the configuration.php file in each installation to point to the same database, this is not something for which WHMCS is designed so not something we could recommend or support.

Please take no offense to this but I didn't really want an opinion. I want a solution. You may not support it but you could help me set all this up as I need it. I have 4 different websites that I want to offer hosting on. However, I do not want to have to pay for 4 different hosting servers nor deal with all the different configurations that it comes with. Since I am providing the exact same services on all 4 websites, there should be no reason why all 3 websites couldn't connect and run from the primary whmcs database.

Is there anything i need to look out for with this setup?

No need to get your knickers in a knot! That wasn't an opinion provided by WHMCS John, it was an answer. But judging on your response you didn't like the answer that it wasn't recommended or supported.

If you were to take a look at the demo of WHMCS (or an installed copy if you have one) then you will see that there are site specific settings in the configuration (i.e URL, company name etc). These are stored in the database so would be shared by all installs you mention. That's why it's not possible to do. Just because you can't see why it isn't possible doesn't mean that it is possible. WHMCS John is very clear in his reply.

Now as a way to get it to work (from the customers perspective) why don't you install one license on a generic primary domain and use templates to style the order forms etc based on the site the visitor is coming from/viewing from. i.e. https://billing.genericprimarydomain.com/ That way you have one install and all the other site sites/brands feed into it. I have seen a few businesses operate this way.

As a side note you would need to add some custom coding in the email templates if you wanted them to be 'brand' specific or themed as well but WHMCS is all geared for using multiple themes that would suit your purpose well.

Now for a bit of unsolicited advice — be courteous and nice in these forums and you'll get help from the community (and WHMCS) but if you're rude all you'll do is shoot yourself in the foot and no-one will want to help you.

Damo,

My intention was not to be rude. As a matter of fact, for points being clear, i thought mine was. But telling me something can't be done is unacceptable. Everything can always be done by the right person. Nothing upsets me more though when someone tells me something can't be done because, well that is just not right. I have been in this business for over 10 years now and ALL the impossible things that people said could not be done, well it's been done. Just because I do not know how to get something done immediately does not mean that I have to take someone else's word for it when they say that it can't... With that said, my apologies. I was not trying to be rude. Moving on!

I do not want individual site branding. Primary branding is fine for all sites. For SEO purposes each site has its own domain and its own page rank and presence. So putting all sites in one account will not work. If site 2 Database connects to site one, then all configurations of the WHMCS should be displayed just like the primary. So when they set something up on site 2, its being registered in the shared DB so to speak. So if ALL settings are exactly as the primary other than the licensing of the WHMCS, everything should be identical across all sites.

So the only concern I am seeing here is will the sub-whmcs's connecting to the primary DB have an issue because of the separate domains? I personally do not think so but could use clarification on this. If all sub sites are pulling from primary DB, I do not see setups being affected any or billing for that matter. All provisioning would be done as if it was being done from the primary site....

So this really boils down to the initial install and the separate domains. Do they all come into play or does it matter? Do we need to write some scripts, change something etc. Money is no object, only the exact detailed mappings of how this will work or am I making this all to complicated and it will actually work like I think it will???

You had an official response from WHMCS that says don't do it. So if you persist with doing it you will not be provided support or assistance. That's asking for trouble.

I still don't understand then why you can't have whmcs setup up on one domain whilst the other sites remain their own (for SEO reasoning). These sites would then link to the cart and client area of the one domain when the time comes to order/provision. The cart doesn't need to be on the same domain at all from what I am to be.

ie. Visitor browses abc.com or def.com and when the click Order/Add to cart, they are taken to parentdomain.com for order placement.

Damo,

My intention was not to be rude. As a matter of fact, for points being clear, i thought mine was. But telling me something can't be done is unacceptable. Everything can always be done by the right person. Nothing upsets me more though when someone tells me something can't be done because, well that is just not right. I have been in this business for over 10 years now and ALL the impossible things that people said could not be done, well it's been done. Just because I do not know how to get something done immediately does not mean that I have to take someone else's word for it when they say that it can't... With that said, my apologies. I was not trying to be rude. Moving on!

I do not want individual site branding. Primary branding is fine for all sites. For SEO purposes each site has its own domain and its own page rank and presence. So putting all sites in one account will not work. If site 2 Database connects to site one, then all configurations of the WHMCS should be displayed just like the primary. So when they set something up on site 2, its being registered in the shared DB so to speak. So if ALL settings are exactly as the primary other than the licensing of the WHMCS, everything should be identical across all sites.

So the only concern I am seeing here is will the sub-whmcs's connecting to the primary DB have an issue because of the separate domains? I personally do not think so but could use clarification on this. If all sub sites are pulling from primary DB, I do not see setups being affected any or billing for that matter. All provisioning would be done as if it was being done from the primary site....

So this really boils down to the initial install and the separate domains. Do they all come into play or does it matter? Do we need to write some scripts, change something etc. Money is no object, only the exact detailed mappings of how this will work or am I making this all to complicated and it will actually work like I think it will???

Can you tell me exactly where WHMCS John says it's not possible, I fail to see?

Hi,

Infact, he said it is somewhat possible, however, he was telling you that WHMCS isn't designed for this, so may be harder to do than what you think. He also said that its not RECOMMENDED and they don't SUPPORT it, NEVER did he say it's not possible.

You had an official response from WHMCS that says don't do it. So if you persist with doing it you will not be provided support or assistance. That's asking for trouble.

I still don't understand then why you can't have whmcs setup up on one domain whilst the other sites remain their own (for SEO reasoning). These sites would then link to the cart and client area of the one domain when the time comes to order/provision. The cart doesn't need to be on the same domain at all from what I am to be.

ie. Visitor browses abc.com or def.com and when the click Order/Add to cart, they are taken to parentdomain.com for order placement.

Hey Damo,

Thanks for getting back with me.

The official reply was "not recommended or supported". That does not mean it will not work, it just means they will not help me with the solution that I need. The options that have been mentioned here were already explored before I posted my original post and was rejected. Why is it that no one wants to tackle this project with me to determine how it CAN work instead of telling me it cant... I understand if you do not know how to do it. That is one thing. But to not come together to figure out how to make it work is really shocking to me.

Again....

1) I believe that if 3 more separate licenses are purchased and I install these on each domain and then i connect the database to my primary, then ALL setting should be pulled from the primary db.

2) So, if any person who already has an account with us could literally sign into their account from any of our websites.

3) They should be able to sign into any of the websites and purchase new hosting accounts and all new purchased are provisioned with our one server connected to the primary WHMCS.

4) What I am asking for is, of the 3 new whmcs installs all get their settings from the primary, is there any other reason that I cannot see or think about that the moment that would cause this not to work? Is there a redirect problem, etc? Instead of telling me it wont work, please tell me the 1, 2 or 3 things that would stop it from working and see if we can come up with a solution that will make it work. This is all I am asking for.

Each install holds configuration values (site URL etc) in the database that are used by whmcs to function. So you will not be able to share the database and have different values for each installation (as you want to use only one database).

You're determined to make this work so just purchase the licenses and learn for yourself that it will not work. You get 30 days to request your money back but it will only take an hour after you install them all and start to configure things that you'll find that it will not work.

"Not recommended or supported" means that that your using the product for something other than it's intended purpose. This in itself means it will not work. Why would you invest in a system where you know that there will be no support for it?

Take the advice you've been given, or try it and learn the hard way. Ever considered that WHMCS is not the right product for you?

Each install holds configuration values (site URL etc) in the database that are used by whmcs to function. So you will not be able to share the database and have different values for each installation (as you want to use only one database).

You're determined to make this work so just purchase the licenses and learn for yourself that it will not work. You get 30 days to request your money back but it will only take an hour after you install them all and start to configure things that you'll find that it will not work.

"Not recommended or supported" means that that your using the product for something other than it's intended purpose. This in itself means it will not work. Why would you invest in a system where you know that there will be no support for it?

Take the advice you've been given, or try it and learn the hard way. Ever considered that WHMCS is not the right product for you?

Damo,

Thank you again for your feedback. WHMCS is awesome. If there was only one thing that I would change is if they offered phone support... With that said let me try to address what you shared with me.

You said each whmcs install holds its own configuration values {urls). Once installed, if the config was changed to the "remote database" would not the configuration values take on those from the database?

If it does, what exactly would not work? The logins? The links? The provisioning? If the remote database is used, then when you clicked on the order form from site 2, would that not pull the items from the remote database or are you saying it wouldn't even pull the order forms because the link to the order form would be different on all the sites?

If you would be more forth coming with working out the issues instead of being confrontational with me, we might accomplish something. I am asking for an intelligent developer to developer discussion. Taking your word does not provide a solution for me. If it doesn't work, why doesn't it work? It is 1 thing or 10 things that would stop it from working?

I understand where you are coming from but i am about results and solutions. There is a reason or 2 or 3 why this wont work. If I know exactly what those specific reasons are I might be able to come up with solutions for this. Again, money, time, effort, creativity is in abundance. Just because it doesn't work out of the box does not mean I can not make it work with enough persistence to find out what the exact solution would be. From what I can tell, many other users would benefit from working thru to a workable solution...

So, can we walk step by step through what each and every problem that might arise would be or do we continue to argue about it and not get anywhere?

Another question... Lets say there is just no way to use the primary database within all the other websites. Can we use the same server for account creation across all the sites? Each WHMCS has to connect to a server. Can you have 4 or more WHMCS installations connect to the same server?

My primary website is www.theturngroup.com and WHMCS and everything is currently setup and connected to our dedicated server... Basically I am asking if multiple instances of WHMCS can use the same server?

WHMCS allows you to set the system URL in the database, if that is set on the setup you asked for some of the sites would redirect to the primary install. Since the system URL is stored in the database, that means that some redirects and links which use the full system url on a secondary site would be linking to a page on the primary site. If that is done at the wrong time it can break domain cookies, etc.

I have not done extensive testing on a setup like this, so I can't advise you on all of the ways it might break, but I would strongly advise against a setup like this. I am afraid the only way to know all of the things that will not work is to go through every part of the product and check how it behaves. I can think of a few subsystems that would not work well, including any payment gateway that included a callback url.

That being said, you can have multiple installations create accounts on the same server. You may run into issues with account creation - i.e. if two people try to use the same account name on the server, the second person to try and create will get an error and have to attempt again - but that is not a major impediment. I would strongly recommend going this route.

Nate,

Thank you so very much for your insightful feedback. Based on other feedback I knew there would be some issues. Just not sure what all they might be. I wish I knew what all these potential errors would be. I may still have to play around with it.

The second solution is exactly what I wanted to hear. The only down side to this is all the setup I would have to do again per site.

Thanks again for your feedback.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't the system check already if the username is available?

Why not allow an override for the system URL just like you do the template? The override variable could be placed in config.php and this would solve the problem?

Or at least provide us a hook point that would allow us to override the settings if we wanted (this would probably be better and more versatile). Can we pay for this as a custom modification? It would probably take you about 30 seconds to add a hook there :)