Offer 14 Day Free Trial or a 30 Days Money Back Guarantee?

C Powell

offering a free trial is not stupid, it can increase your client base.

you may get a small business who is only after a simple hosting package and a free trial does not bother him and he just takes one of your hosting packages, but you may get a large business, who does not know you from adam, but sees that one of your hosting plans is ideal for their business, but do not want to commit as they dont know anything about your system or support, this is when a free trail works, you offer the large business a free trail, so they can test your system and support. I would suggest that if you have anyone on a free trail you bend over backwards if they need help or support as it is these that are not sure if your service is for them, so you need to pursuade them that you offer an excellent service.

A large business/company is more likely to sign up with you if they can trial your services first.

We have 2 domains that we use just for trial accounts, so if we get a request for a trial we set up one of these domains with a trial period of 7 days, and give all the account detail to the client and then after 7 days we ask the client if he liked our service and if he decides to set up a full account with us we will if required move any files to the clients account and delete the package attached to the trial domain

• 1 month later...

I agree free trials and money back guarantees are a must your in this to earn the trust of a person that does not know you. you have to give incentives. However, I disagree with the comment about your trial customers being the ones that you should provide best support for. Yes you have a valid point they are unsure of your service.

lets say you have free accounts? do they rank any less than your paying customers? and do your trial customers rank higher than existing customers?

I give you one answer.. if you rate your customers in groups like that, get out now because you will fail.

EVERY customer is important. it does not matter if your selling ice to eskimos sweets to kids or hosting to corporations. they are all equally important in their own right and deserve nothing but your best level of support and service.

sorry for the offtopic post, it was brought up though

• 1 month later...
I agree free trials and money back guarantees are a must your in this to earn the trust of a person that does not know you. you have to give incentives. However, I disagree with the comment about your trial customers being the ones that you should provide best support for. Yes you have a valid point they are unsure of your service.

lets say you have free accounts? do they rank any less than your paying customers? and do your trial customers rank higher than existing customers?

I give you one answer.. if you rate your customers in groups like that, get out now because you will fail.

EVERY customer is important. it does not matter if your selling ice to eskimos sweets to kids or hosting to corporations. they are all equally important in their own right and deserve nothing but your best level of support and service.

sorry for the offtopic post, it was brought up though

Yes every customer is important. you should always rate your paying clients higher than free trial customers, but a company taking a free trial is a potentail paying customer, so you need to offer them quick responses to queries and good customer service, if your service to these are not good enough after the free trial they are most likely to leave and not take out a paid plan.

you can guarantee that 9/10 clients sending a support ticket will rate the ticket as high, what i do if i have more than 1 ticket arrive i will look at all tickets to see which i think is priority it could be a paid client or a trial client, to me they are all valuable clients.

From a marketing perspective you always want to offer a money back guarantee... its about removing the risk factor for the customer. I've done some pretty extreme guarantees and they have proven to increase conversion by a lot, things like even offering to pay the customer for wasting their time if they are not happy with your product/service. It adds more credibility to your product or service and makes them feel more comfortable.

Of course you will always get the few people that try to take advantage of you and are unreasonable but the benefits of a solid guarantee far out weight the cons.

There are two trial add-ons in the community addons section.. Official Free Trials Mod and Free Trials Addon... whats the difference?? What one is better? Is the free trial feature already native in the newer version of WHMCS or does it still need an addon?

• 2 months later...

John: just a question does it send the free trial user a invoice or anything?

So they come to the end of there trial it sends them an email deactivates there account? does it give them an option to upgrade easily so there is no deleting of files they can jsut click upgrade and its BANG auto setup and away they go?

Sorry for the questions just want to know what it does really.

Thanks

John: just a question does it send the free trial user a invoice or anything?

So they come to the end of there trial it sends them an email deactivates there account? does it give them an option to upgrade easily so there is no deleting of files they can jsut click upgrade and its BANG auto setup and away they go?

Sorry for the questions just want to know what it does really.

Thanks

It will send a $0.00 invoice if you set it up using my addon. The trial product (if configured properly) will allow an upgrade path from the trial package to a paid service and it's done.

• 7 months later...