Alternative HyperVM Module

Alternative HyperVM Module for WHMCS (a.k.a. HypervmX)

Version: 1.5

Hi all,

This is a completely new module for HyperVM which is written from ground up and which provides new features that have been requested by the community.

Features:

• Create OpenVZ/Xen VPSes
  • Terminate OpenVZ/Xen VPSes
  • Suspend OpenVZ/Xen VPSes
  • Unsuspend OpenVZ/Xen VPSes
  • Customers can specify the name of their VPS
  • Customers can specify the FQDN for their VPS
  • (New) Configurable locations (servers) for the new VPSes
  • (New) Customers can choose where to place their VPSes from the list of configured locations
  • (New) Customers can choose the number of virtual CPUs (Xen VPSes only)
  • (New) Customers can choose the CPU usage percentage (OpenVZ VPSes only)
  • Automatically create the VPS as soon as an order is placed or as soon as the first payment is received
  • Switch on/off sending the HyperVM welcome message
  • Can be configured to connect to HyperVM on ports different from the default (8887 and 8888)
  • Automatically get the assigned IP addresses after VPS creation
  • Automatically set the Domain field to the VPS name for easier search in WHMCS lists
  • Define the number of IP addresses to assign to new VPSes from the IP pool
  • The customers can select the OS template for their VPSes
  • Change VPS parameters – memory amount, disk space, monthly traffic, central backup flag
  • Automatically change the burstable/swap memory when changing the guaranteed memory for a VPS based on a predefined memory ratio
  • Prepare the VPS – execute common initialization tasks after VPS creation with a single click
  • Automatically login to HyperVM with the configured username and password from either the admin or the client pages
  • Reboot the VPS
  • Works for both VPS administrators and VPS resellers
  • Complete documentation with screenshots – installation, configuration, and usage

Screenshots:

Module configuration

Product screen

Licensing:

You can download the module below but in order to use it you will need a license file. You can request a 14-days trial license by sending an e-mail to 'dragomir DOT denev AT dgm DOT bg' and providing the domain name of your WHMCS installation. The trial version has all the features of the full version.

Purchasing:

I provide the purchasing information here because my site is not in English and my WHMCS installation does not use EUR as a currency.

To purchase the full license:

1. Send an e-mail request for full license providing the domain name of your WHMCS installation to 'dragomir DOT denev AT dgm DOT bg'
  2. Use this direct payment link to make the payment or
  3. Select the payment link in the reply e-mail that I will send you

Full license price: 25 EUR (26.38 EUR with PayPal fees)

Download:

Download the module and the documentation

Best regards

Edited by Matt
updated by request (x4)

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that is missing for me is that ability to assign IP's after account creation i.e. to allow a user to order another IP for use on their server

I had thought about this and my local development version actually can manage IP addresses (somehow :-)) but the problem is when you want to remove IP addresses - how would you specify which ones to remove. IP addresses are managed differently from the other parameters and are not specified in the resource plan. So I will have to carefully plan this functionality.

Also do not forget that WHMCS is not meant to replace the control panels it integrates with and it should not expose all the functionality of the control panel, just the one that is needed for processing the order and provisioning the product. You can easily add IP addresses via hypervm and I'm not sure that every hypervm function should be available from WHMCS.

I guess in the next version it may be possible to manage IP addresses but cannot promise this right now :-)

Best regards

Very interested in this script. Do you have Instant Messaging?

Anyways, I have a few questions.

1) Does this script include all upgrades for life?

2) Does this script automatically create the VM after the order is paid?

3) Does this script support slave servers, ie: I have a server "1" with the main IP: 2.3.4.5 called localhost, and two slaves called 'node2' and 'node3', can I select which one etc.?

Thanks! :)

1) Does this script include all upgrades for life?

Currently I don't intend to charge additionally for upgrades.

2) Does this script automatically create the VM after the order is paid?

It turned out that there are some limitations in WHMCS that prohibited this in the current version of the module (there is no way to populate the Username field automatically during the ordering process). I'm working on the new version which will be able to automatically provision the VPS after the order. This will need an additional custom field to show on the ordering pages.

3) Does this script support slave servers, ie: I have a server "1" with the main IP: 2.3.4.5 called localhost, and two slaves called 'node2' and 'node3', can I select which one etc.?

Yes, when you setup the module (in the Module Settings screeen of the product) you can select on which server you want the VPS to be created, You can enable the list to be automatically fetched from the HyperVM server by checking the 'Get from Server' checkbox. It's all described in the documentation.

Best regards

So basicly you can select what server to install this one from one place? Instead of modifying each individual package?

And can you please confirm, does automated setup / creation of the VPS actually work or not?

Edit: If i where to update some of the configuration fields in the dropdowns at this screenshot

http://support.dgm.bg/downloads/hypervm/product_screen.png

And then press save, would it make the changes within HyperVM ? Or would i somehow need to do this manually directly in HyperVM?

So basicly you can select what server to install this one from one place? Instead of modifying each individual package?

Yes, as I already pointed in the previous post, you can setup on which server you want your VPS to be created in the Module Settings page.

And can you please confirm, does automated setup / creation of the VPS actually work or not?

It doesn't work in the current version. I am working on the next version where I fixed this issue. The problem was that WHMCS does not provide a way for a product of type Other to obtain the Username field during the ordering process so I had to introduce a new custom field that will be used for this and will allow automatic VPS creation on order completion or on invoice payment.

Edit: If i where to update some of the configuration fields in the dropdowns at this screenshot

http://support.dgm.bg/downloads/hypervm/product_screen.png

And then press save, would it make the changes within HyperVM ? Or would i somehow need to do this manually directly in HyperVM?

You will have to execute the Change Package command. Change Package will change the memory, disk, traffic and central backup.

It is all specified in the documentation.

Best regards

The new 1.1 version is out. These are the new features and fixes:

• New: Added new optional custom field – vpsname. This allows customers to enter the name of their VPS during the ordering process and makes possible the automatic creation of VPSes upon order completion.
  • New: The module checks for all required configurable options and custom fields and displays an error message in the Module Settings screen if not all of them are properly created.
  • Fix: Automatic VPS creation after order completion did not work.
  • Fix: The custom field ipaddresses|IP Addresses was not populated in cases of automatic VPS creation after order completion.

I will change the first post to update the links and version info as soon as the moderators allow me to edit it. Until then you can use the existing download link but replace the old hypervm-1.0.zip filename with the new - hypervm-1.1.zip.

Best regards

Edited by ddenev
Additional information added

How do you install this? There is nothing in the documentation stating this, do you just replace the old HyperVM files with the new ones or?

How can you say that? There is a section in the .pdf that is named Installation and in it it is clearly described how to install the module. Anyway, I will paste the section here:

INSTALLATION STEPS

1. Backup the original hypervm.php file in <WHMCS>/modules/servers/hypervm
  2. Extract the downloaded archive to <WHMCS>/modules/servers/hypervm
  3. If your WHMCS cron is set to use php (i.e. php –q <WHMCS>/admin/cron.php) then you will have to set it to use either GET (the second option in the Automation Settings of your WHMCS – GET http://<yourdomain>/admin/cron.php) or CURL – curl http://<yourdomain>/admin/cron.php. This is important since otherwise your cron will complain that the license for hypervm.php is not valid for your server. The reason for this is because command-line PHP does not provide the proper domain and IP information to the ionCube loaders and it will think that your license is not valid. Accessing the PHP page via the web server, on the other hand, will provide this information properly.

Note: <WHMCS> is the directory where your WHMCS is installed.

I hope this helps.

Best regards

I am a little confused, how do you get to the configuration steps like you have in your images?

PS: When i open the PDF file then the only section that is blank is the Installation part... The header says "Installation" but everything below is blank.

When i visit "Package Name -> Module Settings" then i get this error

[Module requirements check]: The following required configurable options are missing: ostemplate

[Module requirements check]: The following required custom fields are missing: ipaddresses

What custom fields am i suppose to make?

I am a little confused, how do you get to the configuration steps like you have in your images?

PS: When i open the PDF file then the only section that is blank is the Installation part... The header says "Installation" but everything below is blank.

Do you mean that you don't see the subsection named Installation Steps? Do you see the sections named Configuration and Usage?

Stupid me, i am using the online PDF viewer and didn't notice the multiple pages :) Found all the information now, really good guide :)

BUT, is it not possible to do like WHMCS already do and add .vm automaticly at the end of the username? Because i KNOW that i am going to have a very hard time getting new clients adding .vm no matter how big the warnings are.

When i visit "Package Name -> Module Settings" then i get this error

[Module requirements check]: The following required configurable options are missing: ostemplate

[Module requirements check]: The following required custom fields are missing: ipaddresses

What custom fields am i suppose to make?

There are some configurable options and custom fields that are required and there are some that are optional. The ostemplate config option and the ipaddresses custom field are mandatory.

Best regards

BUT, is it not possible to do like WHMCS already do and add .vm automaticly at the end of the username? Because i KNOW that i am going to have a very hard time getting new clients adding .vm no matter how big the warnings are.

I have thought about this and decided to leave it like it is currently because I think that it would be even more confusing for the customers to enter a name like 'myvps' and then have to access his/her VPS like 'myvps.vm'.

Since adding of .vm can be enforced in the template (either via warnings, or via JavaScript) I decided to leave this to you.

HyperVM virtual machines are always named like 'somename.vm' and the customers have to be aware of this. At least I think so :-)

Best regards

The customer recieve this .vm username in their welcome email, with the current setup i have never had an issue where clients complain about the username, or where they find things confusing...

But i am 100% positive that i will recieve several complaints because the automated setup process did not work, as of because they didn't add the .vm to the end of their username...

The instant setup process is very important when you promise instant setup, and if half of the client's don't get their VPS instantly setup, then it can't offer instant setup.

The customer recieve this .vm username in their welcome email, with the current setup i have never had an issue where clients complain about the username, or where they find things confusing...

But i am 100% positive that i will recieve several complaints because the automated setup process did not work, as of because they didn't add the .vm to the end of their username...

The instant setup process is very important when you promise instant setup, and if half of the client's don't get their VPS instantly setup, then it can't offer instant setup.

I can easily add a check for the VPS Name field if it contains .vm and add it if it doesn't. But this will be available in the next version :-)

Best regards

Yes, as I already pointed in the previous post, you can setup on which server you want your VPS to be created in the Module Settings page.

I don't think you understood my question, at this moment you need to modify each package to change the server the VPS is going to be installed on....

After a closer look, then your HyperVM module is doing the same thing as WHMCS's buildt in one, you need to enter each spesific package and change manually on what server you want the VPS to be installed on.

I was hoping for something in the main "Server Setup" module, where you only need to change it one place for it to effect on all packages, this is ideal when you have 20 different VPS packages and don't want them all setup on Localhost to then Migrate them to the server you need them on.

NEW: Regarding the RAM, Diskspace etc modification in "Configurable Options", if a client changes these values due the order. Will they be added to the order due the setup? Basicly, take the original package ordered and change the selected values that he made different in Configurable to the one he chose?

Or is this something that needs to be done manually after the order...

Edited by vT16

After a closer look, then your HyperVM module is doing the same thing as WHMCS's buildt in one, you need to enter each spesific package and change manually on what server you want the VPS to be installed on.

I was hoping for something in the main "Server Setup" module, where you only need to change it one place for it to effect on all packages, this is ideal when you have 20 different VPS packages and don't want them all setup on Localhost to then Migrate them to the server you need them on.

I really cannot understand what is your idea. The main "Server Setup" (if you mean Configuration->Servers screen) is not part of my module, it is part of WHMCS and so, it is not under my control.

NEW: Regarding the RAM, Diskspace etc modification in "Configurable Options", if a client changes these values due the order. Will they be added to the order due the setup? Basicly, take the original package ordered and change the selected values that he made different in Configurable to the one he chose?

Or is this something that needs to be done manually after the order...

The module (and to this extent all server modules) does not cover nor takes part in the ordering process. The module "kicks in" right after the ordering process finishes. The configurable options for memory, etc. are just part of the standard features that WHMCS provides. So what happens during the ordering process is independant of how the module works. As soon as the order is placed, the module provisions the configured VPS. If the customer wants to upgrade/downgrade then he is free to do so using the standard WHMCS means and when the upgrade/downgrade order is submitted then the module will provision (or more precisely) change the VPS parameters after you issue the Change Package command.

Best regards