After 8.5.1 update, Custom Field in Product Not Working

Dear WHMCS users,

I have set "Product/Service >> Custom Fields" dropdown option for customers to select when buying a product.
For example, customed had to choose the "data center location" dropdown when placing the order.

Since upgrading to WHMCS 8.5.1, customers are seeing the following "Custom Field" throw error even though they selected the required custom field option:
"Please correct the following errors before continuing: Invalid Selection Option."

Before upgrading to 8.5.1, the "Custom Field Options" worked fine.

Due to this, my whmcs store is not working as no orders can be placed.

Did anyone encounter/fix this, please?

Edited by Mandalorian

15 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

Strangely,  it has started to work when you disable and re-enable the custom fields and make small changes like remove spaces after commas.

This is not that strange actually when you upgrade. WHMCS tends to update the database tables and I had a similar issue before and there are plenty of bugs that WHMCS's official reply was the same, turn the setting off and back on. I had some settings not working after upgrades, this is why after an upgrade you need to re-check everything, even settings if they are still enabled that can show as that but they are not being applied anymore, hence you need to renable them to make them work again.

Well said. Wish it wasn't so hard for an automation tool to automate stuff.

On 9/07/2022 at 1:02 PM, yggdrasil said:

This is not that strange actually when you upgrade. WHMCS tends to update the database tables and I had a similar issue before and there are plenty of bugs that WHMCS's official reply was the same, turn the setting off and back on. I had some settings not working after upgrades, this is why after an upgrade you need to re-check everything, even settings if they are still enabled that can show as that but they are not being applied anymore, hence you need to renable them to make them work again.

On 7/10/2022 at 10:16 AM, Mandalorian said:

Well said. Wish it wasn't so hard for an automation tool to automate stuff.

It's not hard, WHMCS is actually quite easy. Its bugged? Yes, that is a completely different issue. In my experience, every new release introduces more bugs and problems than it tries to solve which means make sure to test, then test again and then re-test everything again before putting a new version in production. Even then you will find so things stop working or don't as before.

• 3 months later...
On 18/07/2022 at 12:15 PM, WHMCS John said:

Hi there,

The error Invalid Selection Option doesn't look to be one returned by the stock WHMCS code. Please check any after-market customisations, particularly those related to order form validation, which might need updating.

Hi John,

I also had setup a custom client field setup (configuration->custom client field) and just found out it is no longer working after update to 8.5.1. Same error as op and also had to remove the extra spaces in the options for it to work again.

• 1 month later...

I disabled an re-enabled the setting and it worked. However, I have a select custom field where the client selects an option and now it added an empty option at the start and at the end of the options. I have removed commmas, remake the custom field and its not working 

Captura de pantalla 2022-12-29 213943.png