Making addon A required to order addon B

Hello 🙂

Is there a way in WHMCS to make purchasing an addon a required step in order to pick another addon.

I'm sure I'm being clear, so here is an exemple :

Addon A is "Server configuration"

Addon B is "Server management"

For the client to be able to order Addon B (Server management), he needs to also have Addon A in his cart. 

I can't find a good way to do that... Maybe there is another way to takle that problem? 

Thanks for your help ! 

On 19/02/2021 at 00:14, steven99 said:

I don't think that is possible out of the box.

you might be able to get close to it using Product Bundles - as long as you have enabled these two addons in the bundle configuration, then the cart should throw an error alert if either of the addons are removed.... and if these addons were hidden from the configproduct page, then I doubt the addons could easily be removed.

although I think as steven suggests, you're probably going to need some validation at checkout to ensure both addons are included.

17 hours ago, steven99 said:

That would work but it presumes that both addons are wanted and not just addon A without addon b.

fair point.... and I think I realised that half way through the answer, but I ploughed on regardless. 🙂

if you get to the stage of validating, then you could equally get the hook to add addon A if B is present - but let's not overcomplicate things!

14 hours ago, Newton said:

That is the way I have it configured right now. But hoping I can split some of the addons (not just the ones given as exemple) to simplify the offer (by removing some redundancy - if that makes any sense :)

oh it makes sense - we've all been in that trade off situation between trying to make the ordering process simpler/cleaner and the added coding hassle/consequences that that can often require.

On 2/20/2021 at 1:58 PM, brian! said:

you might be able to get close to it using Product Bundles - as long as you have enabled these two addons in the bundle configuration, then the cart should throw an error alert if either of the addons are removed.... and if these addons were hidden from the configproduct page, then I doubt the addons could easily be removed.

although I think as steven suggests, you're probably going to need some validation at checkout to ensure both addons are included.

While that might work its bad UI design. Now you are forcing the customers to submit or try to check out every time to see another error leading to frustration and people just jumping boat and leaving the ordering process because they realize its sucks. If you are giving such a horrible experience before even buying a product, how can you even expect to gain customers...

The Jquery logic works on the fly on other shopping carts and informs instantly the user about what needs to be changed without even reloading the page or going to the next step.

The shopping cart validation should be used to avoid critical errors while upgrading, not for pre-ordering configuration options on a sales page. People like to play with configurations on shopping carts, its not only bad design to make them try to submit a form to see the changes, but it's also bad in terms of server performance. You don't want someone submitting a post request unless its necessary.