bug with addon welcome emails

snake

So I have discovered that welcome emails for addons do not work.
WHMCS simply doesn't send them, instead it sends the welcome email for the parent product instead.
This has been confirmed as a bug, although I have no idea how long it has existed.

does anyone know of any workaround for this, how I can get the addon welcome email out to customers, other than doing it manually.

This be like this since 2016 they open a case but  dont think they do anything this what they tell me to do 

In the meantime, rather than needing to create a hook, one alternative that's immediately available would be to use an if conditional based on the addon ID. Something like the following:

{if $addon_addonid == 1}Addon Product Name 1{elseif $addon_addonid == 2}Addon Product Name 2{elseif $addon_addonid

Please use the following:

{$addon_name}

Addon merge fields are not displayed in the Available Merge Fields iframe as there's no way of knowing at email composition time if these parameters will be available. However a case is now open with our documentation team in order to have these merge fields added to our documentation in the near future.

If we can be of any more assistance, please don't hesitate to get back in contact.

Best regards,

so are you saying I need to insert this into the welcome email template of all products that have addons?

I can see this is applying if/else logic to output content based on the addonid, but what about the welcome email it is put into, this is still going to send every time as well?

5 hours ago, snake said:

so are you saying I need to insert this into the welcome email template of all products that have addons?

i'm just  interpreting what support told wsa... 🙂

5 hours ago, snake said:

I can see this is applying if/else logic to output content based on the addonid, but what about the welcome email it is put into, this is still going to send every time as well?

I think the implication is that you write the if statement in such a way that if addonid exists, then you specify the content for that addon, else if it doesn't exist, then it's a "normal" product welcome.

that said, that's a mess of a solution... I would have thought if addonid exists, then you could manipulate the sutuation with hooks.

.. and if this has been a known bug since 2016 and not yet fixed, then that's disgraceful.

I quickly tried ordering a product addon when logged in as a client, and upon activation, it sent the welcome email specified in the product addon, not the one specified in the parent product.

I quickly tried ordering a product addon when logged in as a client, and upon activation, it sent the welcome email specified in the product addon, not the one specified in the parent product.

not sure how you managed that then?
Even going into the admin and resending the welcome email doesn't work, this also sends the welcome email for the product not the addon.

18 hours ago, snake said:

not sure how you managed that then?

logged in as client, went to available addons, ordered addon, accepted order (in admin area), product addon email template sent..... resulting email does contain the $addon_id variable.

18 hours ago, snake said:

Even going into the admin and resending the welcome email doesn't work, this also sends the welcome email for the product not the addon.

I can see that occurs (i'd consider that a bug even if WHMCS don't), but you can send the welcome email template used for the addon manually using the Send Message...

5Oslxqx.png

I contacted WHMCS support again about the fact that WSA says this issue has existed since 2016. They say this is not true, and also that only 2 people have ever reported this issue.

Which is presumably me and WSA, which presumably also means the issue does not affect everyone, especially since you have said it doesn't happen for you either. So even more bizzare that WHMCS themselves were able to re-produce it.

1 minute ago, snake said:

I contacted WHMCS support again about the fact that WSA says this issue has existed since 2016. They say this is not true, and also that only 2 people have ever reported this issue.

Which is presumably me and WSA, which presumably also means the issue does not affect everyone, especially since you have said it doesn't happen for you either. So even more bizzare that WHMCS themselves were able to re-produce it.

Given that I had to spend the best part of the last two weeks arguing, demanding escalation and then further arguing with the head of support before they finally conceded a fairly sizeable bug combined with the general obstructiveness and refusal to accept bugs/defects reported as such and when I asked for a hotfix was advised I was the only one who had reported the issue so it would be unlikely.

So the only person that had reported the issue was me being so stubborn as to refuse to let them bury this issue - and that seems to be the support teams goal  - To hinder and obstruct all bug and defect reports as much as they can and then say there is no need to fix x as it only affect 1 person!

I would imagine your issue is similar to the above scenario ... 

11 minutes ago, snake said:

I contacted WHMCS support again about the fact that WSA says this issue has existed since 2016. They say this is not true, and also that only 2 people have ever reported this issue

I guess they lie because I have a ticket number  

1 minute ago, wsa said:

I guess they lie because I have a ticket number  

Yep, sadly that seems to be the case - I have only been using the product 6 weeks and I can see all these issues already and evidence of them lying. To be honest I'm surprised they are still in business they way the support organisation operates

Just now, MrGettingRatherFrustrated said:

Yep, sadly that seems to be the case - I have only been using the product 6 weeks and I can see all these issues already and evidence of them lying. To be honest I'm surprised they are still in business they way the support organisation operates

The old whmcs have all this feature of product addons 

25 minutes ago, snake said:

So even more bizzare that WHMCS themselves were able to re-produce it.

I was using 8.1 - is that what you were using?? I can see a potential bug fix for this in the v8 changelog, so not sure if you're using an earlier version.

Edited by brian!

3 hours ago, MrGettingRatherFrustrated said:

Given that I had to spend the best part of the last two weeks arguing, demanding escalation and then further arguing with the head of support before they finally conceded a fairly sizeable bug combined with the general obstructiveness and refusal to accept bugs/defects reported as such and when I asked for a hotfix was advised I was the only one who had reported the issue so it would be unlikely.

So the only person that had reported the issue was me being so stubborn as to refuse to let them bury this issue - and that seems to be the support teams goal  - To hinder and obstruct all bug and defect reports as much as they can and then say there is no need to fix x as it only affect 1 person!

I would imagine your issue is similar to the above scenario ... 

nothing much has changed in the last 10 years... There are so many bugs which have taken many years to be fixed and some which are still not fixed.
Same for feature requests.

They have so many customers that they don't have to care about pissing you off or if you leave.  

13 hours ago, snake said:

nothing much has changed in the last 10 years... There are so many bugs which have taken many years to be fixed and some which are still not fixed.
Same for feature requests.

They have so many customers that they don't have to care about pissing you off or if you leave.  

I understand the theory of that - what I don't understand is why they allow a support operation to behave in a way which can only have a detrimental effect on the product and ultimately the bottom line simply from a business perspective.

How many customers have they lost/would they have if this wasn't the case - 100, 1000 even 10,000 ?

They claim 35,000 customers but I suspect many of those are "free" resellers of resellers accounts based on their financial records - so probably more like 5000 "real" users for want of a better term - which is what I consider myself as and it is us who will be reportign bugs and issues - so from that perspective pissing off only a handful of us could make a measurable impact on their  bottom line

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...