"We will remove Six in a future version"

Kian

6 hours ago, Kian said:

Like when? Weeks? Months? Years?

isn't it a criminal offence to ever ask WHMCS for an ETA on anything? 😜

even if they won't say officially, I would have thought the answer would be years - it will just have a long slow death like Modern, where at some point it will no longer receive updates and at a later point, not even be shipped - I assume when they think most users are using 21 rather than Six, or if newer features become more difficult to include with Six.

that said, the release notes mentioned, back in 2019, that the Staff Noticeboard was deprecated and no longer going to be shipped in future versions - yet here we are 18 months later with v8.1 and it's still getting shipped.... so the docs saying something is going to happen is no guarantee that it will.

2 minutes ago, AALayer said:

My guess would be somewhere to the end of WHMCS 8

yeah, that's not a bad time frame - I was thinking v9... but then that starts a whole new discussion about how many v8 major versions there are going to be before v9 and nobody knows the answer to that.

anyway, I hope it's going to be a while as the 21 template design looks awful to my eyes.

37 minutes ago, brian! said:

isn't it a criminal offence to ever ask WHMCS for an ETA on anything? 😜

even if they won't say officially, I would have thought the answer would be years - it will just have a long slow death like Modern, where at some point it will no longer receive updates and at a later point, not even be shipped - I assume when they think most users are using 21 rather than Six, or if newer features become more difficult to include with Six.

that said, the release notes mentioned, back in 2019, that the Staff Noticeboard was deprecated and no longer going to be shipped in future versions - yet here we are 18 months later with v8.1 and it's still getting shipped.... so the docs saying something is going to happen is no guarantee that it will.

yeah, that's not a bad time frame - I was thinking v9... but then that starts a whole new discussion about how many v8 major versions there are going to be before v9 and nobody knows the answer to that.

anyway, I hope it's going to be a while as the 21 template design looks awful to my eyes.

About the 21 template looking aweful, that’s not correct. It’s a super minimal design built on Bootstrap 4 mostly so that designers and company will have many possibilities to transfrom the basic design to whatever they wish.

it’s bad if you use it directyl without any modificatons yes, because its super minimal.

11 minutes ago, AALayer said:

About the 21 template looking awful, that’s not correct.

then replace the word 'awful' with 'ugly' if that helps.

13 minutes ago, AALayer said:

it’s bad if you use it directly without any modifications yes, because its super minimal.

so you agree because I assume you knew I meant how it looked out of the box with no mods.... many users happily use Six OOTB with no visual mods... nobody in their right mind would do the same with 21.

4 minutes ago, brian! said:

then replace the word 'awful' with 'ugly' if that helps.

so you agree because I assume you knew I meant how it looked out of the box with no mods.... many users happily use Six OOTB with no visual mods... nobody in their right mind would do the same with 21.

Well, 21 is ‘ugly’ and minimal yes, as i said before just same as six template. That too is ugly and minimal, just little better then 21.

WHMCS has been designing their main templates super minimal so the community can have endless opportunities in designing/modifying it as per their needs.

Why do you think they always publish these ‘ugly’ main themes?

WHMCS has been designing their main templates super minimal so the community can have endless opportunities in designing/modifying it as per their needs.

that's a positive interpretation of their reasoning and motives. 🙂

Why do you think they always publish these ‘ugly’ main themes?

nice try, but i'm not getting sucked into a debate on how WHMCS think internally... that way lies madness my friend. 🤪

1 hour ago, brian! said:

One thing that annoys me is that in WHMCS there's no clear difference between Deprecated and Removed. As you know there's a big difference between them but to me it looks that WHMCS use both terms as synonymous. If they remove Six I want to ⚰️

1 hour ago, brian! said:

Why? Don't you like an ocean of white with paddings that extend from Milan to Tokyo? I have a 34" inch display 21:9 and with twenty-one I'm reading contents as if they were written on a recepit. Every page I open hurts my eyes. All white and bland. We have huge screen space but less information.

whmcs-bad-template-design.thumb.png.032b4f2996266d19e969ec81b3d6b7fd.png

I don't know about you guys but my full-time job can't be to keep up with unwanted changes and bugs of WHMCS. I'm still dealing with bugs that originate from v4 to v8 and now there's Bootstrap 4 and twenty-one. Maybe this is the reason why WHMCS developers are almost extinct.

Back to the new template system, if they remove six I'm probably done with this software. I also work with Amazon, eBay and tens of other Marketplaces including couriers and logistics networks. They are a joke compared to WHMCS maintainability. Let me explain.

If you happen to have modules with many front-end pages you are screwed because:

• You need to make your templates compatible with Twenty-One
  • In the same time you still have to support Six
  • And people that are still running WHMCS v5, v6, v7 and v8 (not v8.1)

Basically we are talking about doubling efforts. Imagine you have 3 modules with lot of complex front-end pages. Now you have to maintain 6 templates. This is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, AALayer said:

it’s bad if you use it directyl without any modificatons yes, because its super minimal.

"Minimal" is the new word to use when you want to say "I am lazy and I don't want to spend time creating a decent UI hence let's  pretend this is minimalism"

Edited by Kian

I personally don't mind the Twenty-One theme. It's too basic for an out-of-the-box install perhaps but that's good. It's easier to customise than Six. Child theming, is going to be a massive time saver. Glad to see the back of Six and BS3.

But yes, how many times have we asked for a roadmap.

2 hours ago, Kian said:

Why? Don't you like an ocean of white with paddings that extend from Milan to Tokyo? I have a 34" inch display 21:9 and with twenty-one I'm reading contents as if they were written on a receipt. Every page I open hurts my eyes. All white and bland. We have huge screen space but less information.

it took me 3 reads before I realised that you were being sarcastic there! 🙂👏

2 hours ago, Kian said:

Maybe this is the reason why WHMCS developers are almost extinct.

now there's a discussion worth having.... one day we should sit down, have a virtual coffee and discuss the many reasons.

24 minutes ago, aegisdesign said:

Child theming, is going to be a massive time saver.

I wouldn't conflate 21 and child themes - they're not linked as you can child theme Six if you want to in 8.1.... I like the idea of child themes and can see their benefits.

12 hours ago, aegisdesign said:

I personally don't mind the Twenty-One theme. It's too basic for an out-of-the-box install perhaps but that's good. It's easier to customise than Six. Child theming, is going to be a massive time saver. Glad to see the back of Six and BS3.

But yes, how many times have we asked for a roadmap.

The question is when are they gonna do this changes? I'm getting used to using Six. 😑