Cron with Multiple Registrars

Hi

I have two registrars working perfectly. I'm curious to know if the Cron task for synchronising the domain renewal dates will work across multiple registrars?

If I have domainA using registrarA, and I want to transfer domainA to registrarB, what is the process for that?

Is there any do/don'ts I can get regarding running with two registrars?

Thanks and regards

Pat

On 08/07/2020 at 13:42, PatInt said:

I have two registrars working perfectly. I'm curious to know if the Cron task for synchronising the domain renewal dates will work across multiple registrars?

only those that support the domain sync function - most of the WHMCS written ones probably do; third party registrar modules often don't.

On 08/07/2020 at 13:42, PatInt said:

If I have domainA using registrarA, and I want to transfer domainA to registrarB, what is the process for that?

depends on the TLD, but usually it's a transfer - which may involve some cost as they often add a year to the renewal date... but again, that's TLD dependent.

https://docs.whmcs.com/Domain_Transfers

On 7/8/2020 at 8:42 AM, PatInt said:

Hi

Is there any do/don'ts I can get regarding running with two registrars?

Thanks and regards

Pat

Yes, as long as the WHMCS module for that registrar has that feature enabled. Most don't!

No, this has nothing to do with transferring a domain from one registrar to another. This feature will not do that. It just syncs the renewal dates which it gets from the existing domain. If you want to transfer a domain from one registrar to another, you need to do this manually. If the date on a domain changes, WHMCS will get that updated date. That is the only thing this feature does. 

As mentioned, only the in-house supported registrars will sync with that script. Some will have their own scripts, like Namesilo does, that allows most operations via WHMCS. That one in particular will *not* sync via the WHMCS script, but they provide one that does. Set up a cron, and done. I don't believe that one will have the throttle like the built in one, however. It will just do all the domains at once, looks like.

Thanks everyone...It is now syncing the domains.

On the transfer side, I was trying to establish how I manage the WHMCS data as follows:

DomainA.co.uk is in my WHMCS an uses RegistrarA. I now need to transfer the domain to RegistrarB.

Should/do I handle the transfer outside WHMCS, and then just select the new registrar in Client Profile -> Domains -> Registrar?

Thanks for your patience with me

On 7/18/2020 at 7:24 AM, PatInt said:

Thanks everyone...It is now syncing the domains.

On the transfer side, I was trying to establish how I manage the WHMCS data as follows:

DomainA.co.uk is in my WHMCS an uses RegistrarA. I now need to transfer the domain to RegistrarB.

Should/do I handle the transfer outside WHMCS, and then just select the new registrar in Client Profile -> Domains -> Registrar?

Thanks for your patience with me

Yes, WHMCS cannot transfer domains between registrars (I wish that was possible) but it also usually requires confirmation by the registrant and other manual actions.

You need to handle them outside WHMCS and then update the registrar for the domain manually.

On 18/07/2020 at 12:24, PatInt said:

all things being equal, .uk domains don't add a year on transfer, and there should be no charge for a transfer - though i'm aware some registrars, such as eNom, do make a conditional charge and try to renew it for 2 yrs under certain conditions.

On 18/07/2020 at 12:24, PatInt said:

i'd agree with yggdrasil on this - do it outside of WHMCS.

for a .uk transfer, they need to be pushed from the current registrar, rather than pulled by the new registrar... in other words, you contact the current registrar, get them to (or you might be able to do it yourself via a control panel on their site) change the current TAG from registrar A to registrar B (B should tell you what their IPSTAG is)... it auto handshake is on at the new registrar, then it should be pretty quick to complete.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much, for all your input.

My final (let's hope so 😉) question is about how the cron task works with multiple servers.
So while I have two different reseller accounts, I would hope that when the cron runs, it picks up any hosting that has expired, determines the server/interface, and sends the relevant suspend command to the correct provider. Is my understanding correct?

Apologies for the continued questions...having 500+ client sites suspended by accident, is not something we want to wake up to 😐

Cheers

On 8/5/2020 at 7:26 AM, PatInt said:

Thanks very much, for all your input.

My final (let's hope so 😉) question is about how the cron task works with multiple servers.
So while I have two different reseller accounts, I would hope that when the cron runs, it picks up any hosting that has expired, determines the server/interface, and sends the relevant suspend command to the correct provider. Is my understanding correct?

Apologies for the continued questions...having 500+ client sites suspended by accident, is not something we want to wake up to 😐

Cheers

The cron will trigger the automation actions, it will suspend an account depending on in the settings you have.

Here:

https://docs.whmcs.com/Automation_Settings