Bug with Stripe when customer use Credit

jacksony

Hi,

I discovered this month, while we are closing accounts, there is a change in how Stripe/WHMCS works with Credit, and makes the WHMCS reporting wrong.

When customer in WHMCS use a credit to settle partial payment, what I'm seeing is Stripe deduct the full amount first, charge fee based on this amount. Then there will be a 2nd transaction which refunds the credit amount and the transaction fee charged in the 1st transaction for this credit.

However this cause mistake in WHMCS transation and thus, its reporting. As WHMCS ONLY capture the original amount and the Stripe fee charged for this ORIGINAL amount. It does not record the refunded transaction fee (due to the amount offset by credit in WHMCS).

How can we fix this?

12 hours ago, jacksony said:

Hi,

I discovered this month, while we are closing accounts, there is a change in how Stripe/WHMCS works with Credit, and makes the WHMCS reporting wrong.

When customer in WHMCS use a credit to settle partial payment, what I'm seeing is Stripe deduct the full amount first, charge fee based on this amount. Then there will be a 2nd transaction which refunds the credit amount and the transaction fee charged in the 1st transaction for this credit.

However this cause mistake in WHMCS transation and thus, its reporting. As WHMCS ONLY capture the original amount and the Stripe fee charged for this ORIGINAL amount. It does not record the refunded transaction fee (due to the amount offset by credit in WHMCS).

How can we fix this?

Are you sure about this? I don't think that is how it works.

Example:

Invoice $10.

Users paid $3 with credits. The remaining $7 is paid by Stripe. On your Stripe account you would only see the charge  for $7 + the fee.

The user would not pay $10 with Stripe and then Stripes refunds him $3. That would make no sense as the fee would be higher.

Please check your Stripe gateway, you should only see the amount paid for the remaining credit. WHMCS should not capture the original amount but just the remaining balance with Stripe.

Edited by yggdrasil

Yes this is confirmed.

Previously there was no such issue. The reason we detected because we are doing accounts recon.

The transaction fee is higher, but a second line of transaction in Stripe report actually refunds the credit and credit the fee, making it right actually.

But thr problem is this second line is not reflected in WHMCS transation, therefore making it "unbalanced" if you try to recon the transaction.

1 hour ago, jacksony said:

Yes this is confirmed.

Previously there was no such issue. The reason we detected because we are doing accounts recon.

The transaction fee is higher, but a second line of transaction in Stripe report actually refunds the credit and credit the fee, making it right actually.

But thr problem is this second line is not reflected in WHMCS transation, therefore making it "unbalanced" if you try to recon the transaction.

That is probably a bug. Did you open a support ticket about this?

Of course your balance will not reconcile if the fees are not equal.

I want to confirm if anyone face such an issue first?

As if it is a bug, and using credit and stripe seems to be common among some of us, it can't be only us being affected by this bug.

Anyone can confirm or WHMCS side can verify before we submit a bug report?

11 hours ago, jacksony said:

I want to confirm if anyone face such an issue first?

I appreciate that, but numbers in this place are even lower at the weekends than during the week, including any pertinent staff who might reply to your issue... so there's possibly little likelihood that any users in a similar situation would even find the thread, let alone reply to it... especially when this issue isn't even causing a visible error, and the user would have to dig into the transaction details to see what's supposedly occurring.

you might as well just submit a bug report now - if it's a known issue, they'll tell you; if it's not, then it's a valid bug report and they can begin their investigations.

• WHMCS Technical Analyst II

Hello @jacksony,

It was myself who reviewed the bug report you submitted. I felt it was good to reach back out to you here as it seems you feel your report was not fully understood.

I understand the issue you are reporting is related to the transaction fee shown on invoices, where users have paid with Stripe. The exact issue is that where credit has been used to partially pay for an invoice/service during checkout, the transaction fee recorded is based upon the full amount, not the amount after the credit applied has been deducted. For example, if a user has $2.00 credit and purchases a service valued at $4.00, the transaction fee recorded is based upon a transaction value of $4.00 not what was actually paid, which was $2.00 after the credit has been applied.

WHMCS relies on the payment provider to inform us of what the transaction fee was and in this instance, Stripe are returning the fee value based upon the full transaction value. WHMCS will authorise a certain amount and then capture a different amount, where credits are being used, which was a necessary workflow change due to the way Payment Intents work. Stripe show it as a refund when we capture a lower amount than that which was pre-authorised. In my example above, you would see three things returned by Stripe:

amount => 400
amount_refunded => 200
fee => 42

That fee Stripe return is based upon the amount of $4.00, not the actual amount captured, which was $2.00 due to the refund Stripe show.

I hope this helps clarify.

Thanks for the explanation.

But the concern is, if WHMCS takes the transaction fee which is based on full amount, then it will mean inaccurate data in WHMCS. Since the transaction fee captured in WHMCS should be the nett amount taking to be effect of the credit?