Issue with downgrade giving credit to a client after a Price increase.

Hello,

This is a bit of an interesting problem.  My currency is in South African Rands.  It seems that the WHMCS system is allocating credit to the client where credit is not due!

I'm not sure how to fix this now.  Is this a bug or is it something I have done wrong in the process?  or what?

OUR PACKAGES:

Package A costs R649 per year for 3GB
Package B costs R999 per year 5GB

SCENARIO:

Client orders Package B on 1 January with an annual billing cycle for R999

In June, we announce a price increase and storage allocation increase due to the cPanel price hikes changing the package costs and structure to the following:

Package A costs R999 per year for 5GB
Package B costs R1299 per year for 10GB

Naturally, I ran the Bulk pricing updater to issue the new pricing on all the packages and updated the packages on cPanel to reflect the new storage allocations.

CLIENT DOWNGRADES

The client understandably decides to downgrade his account because he doesn't need the extra 5GB for the extra cost.

This DOWNGRADE action has now resulted in a CREDIT of R42.10 on the order placed to downgrade the account.

I am trying to wrap my head around the maths as to why this would be the case because the cost that the client originally paid was R999 and the NEW price on the downgrade is ALSO R999.

We implemented it like this to minimise the cost impact if clients decided to downgrade but it seems that the system is ANYWAY giving the client credit wher credit is not due!

Any advice would be well received. 🙂

Edited by bluesteam

1 hour ago, bluesteam said:

I am trying to wrap my head around the maths as to why this would be the case because the cost that the client originally paid was R999 and the NEW price on the downgrade is ALSO R999.

my head hurts too trying to get around the maths in this... the complicating factor may be that you ran the bulk updater - so now when it's calculating the pro-rata refund now, it might be doing so on the understanding that product B is now 1299... though I can't see how it should be 42.10.... i'd need a cup of tea and Excel to figure this out! (formula used posted here)

short-term fix - disable credit on downgrade (credit tab in general settings)...

https://docs.whmcs.com/Credit_Tab#Credit_on_Downgrade

Clients will receive a credit on their account pro-rated when downgrading their package using the automated downgrade feature, when enabled.

... or to put it the other way - when it's disabled, they won't receive any credit on downgrading.... so if they choose to downgrade, it won't cost you a penny (or cent I think for Rand).

3 minutes ago, brian! said:

my head hurts too trying to get around the maths in this... the complicating factor may be that you ran the bulk updater - so now when it's calculating the pro-rata refund now, it might be doing so on the understanding that product B is now 1299... though I can't see how it should be 42.10.... i'd need a cup of tea and Excel to figure this out! (formula used posted here)

short-term fix - disable credit on downgrade (credit tab in general settings)...

https://docs.whmcs.com/Credit_Tab#Credit_on_Downgrade

... or to put it the other way - when it's disabled, they won't receive any credit on downgrading.... so if they choose to downgrade, it won't cost you a penny (or cent I think for Rand).

I also found that formula and couldnt see how the calculations were done.  My wife (who is a Chartered Accountant by trade) and I have been sitting for the past 3hours trying to understand it and NOTHING we do calculates to what WHMCS is calculating.

Anyways, what I did was manually work out the credits and create a credit record to remove the overly zealous credit given to the client.

I absolutely HATE that WHMCS doesn't create a proper credit note to correct the statement values.  The credit system is completely separate to the invoicing system and it feels like this part of WHMCS really falls flat on its face!

I honestly need a drink now!