WHMCS checksums - Essential pre-upgrade tool

Nick

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was just working on a similar incremental backup class that would check for changes to clients' installations, so I could provide frequent backups without using unnecessary resources. Note to self: Curl is easier than code :-).

BH

My second contribution in three days, I'm on a roll!

Hi all,

Hate having to keep a record of which files you've modified, or keep forgetting? Fear no longer!

In short: It'll give you a list of WHMCS' files which you've customised, so that before an upgrade, you'll know what you need to stop being overwritten.

In long: This module queries WHMCS' database for the installation's version number, then compares a list of checksums for that version against the files actually in place on the server. It then presents you with a list of the files which aren't exactly the same as a freshly downloaded copy of the same version. When you're next updating WHMCS you know exactly which files you've made modifications to, safe in the knowledge that you've not forgotten about something.

(It also displays a list of missing files, unchanged files, and the checksum file)

The module will first check the WHMCS root directory for a checksums file (sums.<version>.md5). If found, this will be used as a reference. If not, the module will instead attempt to download a copy (using cURL).

A list of checksum file downloads is available in the forum thread you downloaded this module from.

New checksum files will be released following as close as possible to WHMCS releases.

-------------------------------

Screenshot: link

Downloads:

Installation archive (zip)

Installation archive (tar.gz)

Installation instructions included in the README.txt file inside the archive.

v3.5.1 Checksum File

v3.5.0 Checksum File

Hope you find it useful :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not too savvy with the telnet commands but I have been trying to get a file generated from my 3.6.1 install zip. I believe I'm doing it per instruction but the file is a checksum of my entire root. The checksum file does drop in the proper place... the fresh whmcs 3.6.1. install root but isn't checksuming at the right place. Any ideas?

The version of 3.6.1 that pulls from Nick's severs is also too different from the one I used as there are 300+ files found... should be closer to 20-30.

Thanks for any help.

**UPDATE** Ok, nevermind. I see how it works now. I needed to cd to the whmcs root before calling the command. I was calling the commande from the root. duh.

Edited by balebond

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very cool. Now I know that I changed more files than I had remembered.

The module unzips a folder called something like WHMCSChecksums, but there is a folder inside called something like WHMCS_Checksums that is where the action is, the .php love, and that's the folder that has to be under the WHMCS ./modules/admin - probably perfectly clear to most, but took me a minute to find why I was getting a blank screen.

Cool!

Thanks!

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Does anyone have a clean checksum for Ver. 3.8.1 We have done a lot of customizing; when we created the new checksum it does not show our modifications; therefore I am concerned with the next upgrade we will have difficulties determining our modifications; except for the methods we currently use.

Thank you,

• 1 month later...

So cool...this mod work very well :-). I run whmcs 3.8.1 and have downloaded the above checksums of Apollo1 and all is fine....Files missing and modified reflect the truth...Before discovering this module I had to make a list of all files change (with some comment for remember me what kind of change I do and why) I made and this tools are a great complement for be sure to not overwrite a customized files...

Thanks a lot to Nick, Apollo1, Uberhost and all other contributor

Will that work for patched instalations, as the results it gives me are a little staggering, loads of changed an missing files...... just doesn't seem right..

I patched from 3.8.1 to 3.8.2

Yes it will. I patched the same as you did.

Edited by striddy

Actually I have just noticed, half of the alleged missing files are within the 'admin' folder, which I have renamed.

How can we cater for this, is it a case of changing the folder name & setting for it temporarily to run the scan?

edit:

Sorry it's 9am here, just had a coffee kick in and realised I can just edit the md5 file renaming the admin folder name in there :)

Should stop trying to do technical things this early without cofee :D

Edited by ChrisGooding

@striddy - Just a question - when you created the md5 did you create it from your existing install or was it from a fresh install with the 3.8.2 files applied?

If it was from your existing install then you won't get a true comparison of any changed files from an original fresh install and everyone else will be comparing against your changed files.

@striddy - Just a question - when you created the md5 did you create it from your existing install or was it from a fresh install with the 3.8.2 files applied?

If it was from your existing install then you won't get a true comparison of any changed files from an original fresh install and everyone else will be comparing against your changed files.

Hi Sparky,

I extracted fresh 3.8.1 whmcs folder, then copied 3.8.2 files over the top. Then created md5 from that.

So it would be the same as if Matt had published a full 3.8.2 for us to download.

Hi Sparky,

I extracted fresh 3.8.1 whmcs folder, then copied 3.8.2 files over the top. Then created md5 from that.

So it would be the same as if Matt had published a full 3.8.2 for us to download.

No problem... was just curious and thought I'd ask the question.

I have just altered the checksum file changing the admin folder name to what we have changed it to 'staff'.

But running the checksum with that files shows that ALL files are missing!! When running it with the one supplied (admin folder name) it only shows the missing files to be the admin ones, and seems correct other than that.

Any ideas?

I use this very nice module and I see the files configproductoptions.php appear to be modified on my actual online 3.8.1 version with checksum 3.8.1...I don't understand why because I don't remember to have change that file especially because it is a encrypted files...Now whit this patch 3.8.2 we must update this file, so before overwrite it I would like to know why it is mentioned like modified and why..Version 3.8.1 was the first fresh install made on my server...

Any suggestions ?