WHMCS checksums - Essential pre-upgrade tool

Nick

I just did a fresh install of 3.6.1 and unziped the file directly on the server.

It says: "Total files changed: 209/961" . You appear to have a large number of files not matching their original checksums.

Either you've got a LOT of files customised, the wrong checksum file is being used, or you are using a patched (incremental) update.

All .php files and mostly from /modules and /includes.

What is wrong here?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like the same problem as before. If you still have the original zip file you downloaded and upgraded/installed with, it's easily solved. There's a command on page 3 of this thread which will allow you to create a sums file from the unzipped archive.

To solve this problem in future, Matt has very kindly agreed to include a checksums file in with future releases.

To solve this problem in future, Matt has very kindly agreed to include a checksums file in with future releases.
Well there it is, whmcs always going the extra mile for us even on a 3rd party module. Thanks again to both Nick and Matt.

Gotta love it when the devs actually listen to their customers, unlike the other moderncrap.

That's a bit harsh. Just because they don't have a business model that works for you, doesn't mean we should slag them off, does it?

Look at it this way. If company A sells a product and doesn't do a good job, then companies B, C & D will look at the market & say "hay, there's a gap in the market and we can do it better".

this is the key element that fosters innovation, and it also helps identify what it is that the market actually does want.

So unless you have companies that don't do it right (or right for you), you are less likely to get the ones that are prepared to.

In fact, I'd be so bold as to to say, bring in more competeitors. If the boys at WHMCS think they've got a good product (and i think they have), they will rise to the challenge and drive innovation, value and functionality to new heights.

And the other products can be great inspiration for new ways of thinking

Just my 2.2c (incl GST)

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Having gone through this thread a couple of times, I don't think I "get it".

I first installed WHMCS at V3.6.0. Then shortly after I upgraded to V3.6.1 which I'm still on.

I downloaded the Installation archive (zip) from page 1 and installed it. Running the prog gave me this result...

Detecting WHMCS version: 3.6.1

Checking for a sums.3.6.1.md5 file in your WHMCS root directory: Not found!

Attempting to fetch sums.3.6.1.md5 from module creator instead: Success!

Checksum results

Changed Files (326) Missing Files (14) Unchanged Files (621) Raw Checksums

Total files changed: 326/961

You appear to have a large number of files not matching their original checksums.

Either you've got a LOT of files customised, the wrong checksum file is being used, or you are using a patched (incremental) update.

Reading through, on page 5 post 44, Nick says

The checksum file for your current version is loaded - it'll try to fetch it automatically, it doesn't need to be posted to this forum. People won't need the 3.6.1 file (which is available to the automatic system already) until the next version is released.

So I'm now looking at upgrading to V3.6.2, so I guess I need the 3.6.1.md5 checksums file? Trouble is, the system seems to be retrieveing that automatically but saying over 300 changed files... I've changed a few I think but probably not more than 10.

I then downloaded the sums.3.6.1.md5 file from the server, and it now says

Detecting WHMCS version: 3.6.1

Checking for a sums.3.6.1.md5 file in your WHMCS root directory: Found!

Checksum results

Changed Files (1) Missing Files (960) Unchanged Files (0) Raw Checksums

Total files changed: 1/961

1. serverstatus.php

I'm not sure what to do next... do I read it that the only file I've changed is the serverstatus.php page (which is encrypted so it can't have been me)? I know I've changed some of the template files, but they aren't showing in the Changed Files count.

If so, how do I get back to a "baseline" for my setup?

Would a fresh install of V3.6.2 be the best option, and then copy over the serverstatus.php page, and what would that mean for the license (which is provided by my host)?

Sorry for all the questions... I can see this being a fantastic module, but I need to get it working correctly before I can rely on it.

Cheers

Dave

daveb1, if you know what files you have changed and there are only a few and you have not made any changes to the database (using admin) then ya just do a fresh install. As far as the license goes, it should be fine as long as you are not changing directories or domains or something like that (I'm not with your host though so maybe ask first if it really is bothering you.) Also for future reference nick talks about using the bash code to create your own checksum which can be done in a separate folder somewhere. I use this method ever time with success, though you have to have ssh access to do so with your host.

It seems like allot of people are having troubles with this mod. That included me at first but now I never have any issues with it and really appreciate having it now that I know how to use it. So to give back I thought I would start working on a tutorial showing a step by step to use this module. I would like to see if many people are interested in something like that before I continue though.

Baja, I'm interested!

Thanks for the info above, but I don't have SSH access as I'm on a shared server, and I suspect the majority of users are in the same situation, so if you could include the non-direct use as well in your tutorial, that'd be most appreciated.

It's very easy to create the checksums file. Here's a recap for anyone visiting this thread...

*After* you upgrade to the latest version of WHMCS, do the following:

1. Extract a copy of the WHMCS zip file onto your server.. unzip whmcs_v362.zip -d whmcs362

2. cd whmcs362/whmcs

3. mv admin adm1234 (only if you changed location of your admin folder)

4. rm -rf install

5. find -type f -exec md5sum '{}' \; > /home/user/public_html/your_whmcs_dir/sums.3.6.2.md5

Hi apollo,

I followed your instructions and everything seemed to work fine except when in the WHMCS checksums it gives me this message:

You appear to have a large number of files not matching their original checksums.

It lists a LOT of files that I have never edited? I have reuploaded these files from the latest v362 release but it still says they have been changed? I don't understand where it is getting this info from?

Hi apollo,

I followed your instructions and everything seemed to work fine except when in the WHMCS checksums it gives me this message:

It lists a LOT of files that I have never edited? I have reuploaded these files from the latest v362 release but it still says they have been changed? I don't understand where it is getting this info from?

Do you have v3.6.2 successfully installed? I suspect if you do, something about the way you created the checksums file might have been buggered up. Make sure you download a fresh copy of the 362 zip file, then extract it is a separate dir.

For users without SSH access, please download the following utilities:

MD5summer (download latest beta)

Notepad++ (download v4.9.2 installer.exe)

After installing both programs, run md5summer and navigate to your local whmcs directory, then click the "Create Sums" button. In the next dialog box, click the "Select All" and "Add Recursively", finally click "OK" to have it create the file of MD5 sums. Name the file "sums.3.6.2.md5". Close md5summer.

Run Notepad++ and open the sums.3.6.2.md5 file. Delete the first 3 lines (2 comment lines and a blank line). Now press CTRL+H to do a search and replace as follows:

Find what: *

Replace with: ./

Click the "Replace All" button, then "OK".

Now, with the Replace dialog box still open, change the search mode from "Normal" to "Extended". Fill in the following values:

Find what: \r

Replace with:

(Make sure there is nothing, not even a space in the "Replace with:" box. Again, click "Replace All" then "OK" and "Close".

Save the file and upload it to the whmcs folder (or wherever it is installed) on your website.

You can now run the Whmcs Checksums utility properly.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Do you have v3.6.2 successfully installed? I suspect if you do, something about the way you created the checksums file might have been buggered up. Make sure you download a fresh copy of the 362 zip file, then extract it is a separate dir.

Hi,

Yes I have a brand new 3.6.2 download that I created the checksum file from. I have tried it a few times now but it keeps telling loads of files have changed that haven't!

I really would like to get this working but it's proving difficult at the moment.

• 1 month later...

I am going to upgrade from 3.6.1 to 3.7.1

I downloaded this module and ran it...

it worked and sayed I had 496 changed files (which is not true)

so then I followed uberhost procedure to checksum the directory of the 3.6.1 files that I used to install my WHMCS... and placed the file on my WHMCS folder

now, I run the module, it finds my sums.3.6.1.md5 file accordingly and goes and does its thing and returns saying that ALL the files are missing???

I am assuming that it is comparing the md5 file with my configuration on the server, right? how can all the files be missing?

I am the one missing something? Do I have to md5 the files in my server?

I'll go read all the thread again, but any help is greatly appreciated...

I followed your advice using MD5summer and it gets a little better,

now I have like 200 diff files (wrong), 13 missing (right, the install folder) and the rest the same...

don't know what to do next... this seems to work for some and not work for some others... the strange thing is that most of the files are the same... I probably have 30 changed files...

if I use the server sums file, it still gives me that all files are changed???

I followed your advice using MD5summer and it gets a little better,

now I have like 200 diff files (wrong), 13 missing (right, the install folder) and the rest the same...

If you've renamed your admin folder or added a custom template folder you would see this, I think.

Have you upgraded yet?