List of UK counties/areas incorrect

inteldigital

the UK counties list used by WHMCS is (and always has been) utterly bizarre...

there are plenty of entries used in the counties list that aren't real counties, there are certainly missing counties too - the problem is made worse by apparently someone at WHMCS using the Postal Counties list (which is a list of cities in effect) and hasn't been used in real-life for 20 years!

in terms of missing counties, Greater Manchester isn't there (though Manchester is).

to be honest, I just tend to ignore it and consider it something that will never be fixed (and certainly not to a list that everyone would agree on)... and unless you're sending paper documents to the client, it's probably irrelevant too - as long as the post code is correct, then that's more important than the county.

• WHMCS Staff

Hi,

Counties can be updated by editing the ~/assets/js/StatesDropdown.js file.

On lines 2 through 13, you'll find a bunch of arrays. The one you'd want to edit is "states['GB']" on line 12. You can add, remove or edit counties shown in this file as long as the last entry is "end" as you'll see in the file.

Do backup this file however as when updating WHMCS, it's possible it may be overwritten and there is no override for this file at this time.

I hope this helps!

18 hours ago, WHMCS Peter said:

Do backup this file however as when updating WHMCS, it's possible it may be overwritten and there is no override for this file at this time.

precisely - I think the automatic updater would overwrite it and so you're back to square one... hence why it's easier to leave it until WHMCS add some option to remove counties/states as per you can with countries (but that will never happen in my lifetime).

22 hours ago, WHMCS Peter said:

Hi,

Counties can be updated by editing the ~/assets/js/StatesDropdown.js file.

On lines 2 through 13, you'll find a bunch of arrays. The one you'd want to edit is "states['GB']" on line 12. You can add, remove or edit counties shown in this file as long as the last entry is "end" as you'll see in the file.

I hope this helps!

Hi Peter,

I know this, as I read a previous topic (one @brian! posted, before he posted it I performed a search and that's what came through). But this is absolutely pointless, as the next update would wipe these changes and to be quite frank, nobody has time to log all these changes to WHMCS core system that we have to run through and manually re-implement every time there is an update. Just add it in? It's surely about 30 seconds work to copy and paste.

20 hours ago, Kian said:

You can still take the long road. Create your own states.json and dist.states.json and have fun overriding it everywhere in WHMCS. Doable but painful. It took me one day 😑

I think you and I have very different definitions of the word "fun"! 🙂