Hello,

Since updating to v7.6.1 I have an error for idn domain registration.

I have .გე domain registration and have it defined as .xn--node in domain pricing.

whois.json looks like this:

{
       "extensions": ".xn--node",
       "uri": "socket://whois.itdc.ge",
       "available": "NO OBJECT FOUND!"
}

In admin- area's whois look up it works fine:

11.thumb.JPG.90abaee78fc46c4492e885929feda5ee.JPG

Whois look up log sees the domain like this: xn--podi0acc.xn--node

When I search the same domain from user side, I get this:

12.JPG.4c2e6a0bc45566fa1243d46ce0d00f8c.JPG

Whois look up log sees the domain like this: xn--podi0acc.გე

The value of .გე domain in select box is .xn--node

<option value=".xn--node">.გე</option>

I see that request is sent to index.php?rp=/domain/check and these are the parameters sent

13.JPG.9d015b08ec0e4c3356dfd4168aeb806c.JPG

And the response is empty:

14.JPG.8e2c2453d2f0e47d0c2049025929115b.JPG

I'm using Six template with standard_cart ordering form.

Any help would be much appreciated!

20 minutes ago, So, who am I ? said:

Since updating to v7.6.1 I have an error for idn domain registration.

from which version? are you saying it worked fine in the previous version ??

https://docs.whmcs.com/Domains_Tab#Allow_IDN_Domains

Ticking this option allows domains containing any character to be used. When unticked WHMCS will only allow clients to use a-z and 0-9 in domains.

IDN TLDs are not supported at this time. However we are interested in gauging demand in such a feature, please add your vote to this request: https://requests.whmcs.com/topic/support-for-idn-tlds

40 minutes ago, brian! said:

from which version? are you saying it worked fine in the previous version ??

from v7.1.1

It worked fine until like two weeks before update, it wouldn't get domain registration period and user wasn't able to add domain to cart after checking the status, when i contacted to WHMCS, they said orderform that I was using wasn't supported anymore and asked to update the system.

That option is ticked of course but it doesn't work.

44 minutes ago, brian! said:

IDN TLDs are not supported at this time.

I'm pretty sure they mean that it's not fully supported in a way that domain is written and is visible as a punycode and it gives you a hard time to manage IDN domains in admin area, plus invoices and all are generated with punycoded domain names. When I asked about the issue before they never said it's not supported 'anymore' and documentation has always said that it's not supported so it's not news.

1 hour ago, So, who am I ? said:

when i contacted to WHMCS, they said orderform that I was using wasn't supported anymore and asked to update the system.

aah they lured you into updating.... now they have you trapped in the new version. 🕸️

if it stopped working for no reason, then my first thought would be the whois.json settings for the TLD.... if you'd made no changes to WHMCS or server at the time, then i'd have searched for an external cause.

When I asked about the issue before they never said it's not supported 'anymore' and documentation has always said that it's not supported so it's not news.

then why did John start that request a year ago if the functionality is still there?

yes I know you can (sort of) use IDN TLDs, but i've always found their implementation of IDN to be flaky, so it was more hassle than it was worth to configure WHMCS to sell these TLDs.

2 hours ago, So, who am I ? said:

I'm using Six template with standard_cart ordering form. 

it's a modified Six/standard_cart orderform though, where you are passing TLD/SLD separately - so that may or may not be a factor...

using Modern (as it's visually closer to your SC template), I can do this in the cart (I don't know if you're trying to do this from the homepage search)

g0vNoth.pngwyuwxKz.png

and that result is correct, because the domain is taken... change it to მკურნალიმკურნალი.გე and it correctly returns that it's available...

IOjFMtG.png

it's perfectly natural for the response to be empty if the domain is unavailable - if I search for google.com, the result would be empty too.

ywH9zfs.png

18 hours ago, brian! said:

it's a modified Six/standard_cart orderform though, where you are passing TLD/SLD separately - so that may or may not be a factor...

Yup, but since it suddenly stopped working without any changes made, I had no choice

if it stopped working for no reason, then my first thought would be the whois.json settings for the TLD....

Not sure what you mean... whois look up in admin area wouldn't work without whois.json but it works perfect, user area is causing all the fuss.

If my memory serves me right I checked and it wasn't working before using modified templates...

it's perfectly natural for the response to be empty if the domain is unavailable - if I search for google.com, the result would be empty too.

Yes, you're right. My bad!

Edited by So, who am I ?

5 hours ago, So, who am I ? said:

Yup, but since it suddenly stopped working without any changes made, I had no choice

if it stopped working for no reason, then my first thought would be the whois.json settings for the TLD....

but my point is, if you had done nothing to WHMCS or the server to cause it to stop, it wouldn't just stop by itself - there must be an external reason... e.g if a feature works on Monday, and you make no changes to server/WHMCS, then it should continue work on Tuesday... if it stops, it's almost certainly not a WHMCS issue... it's not going to suddenly decide to fail off it's own back.

5 hours ago, So, who am I ? said:

If my memory serves me right I checked and it wasn't working before using modified templates... 

the point I was making was usually when users post stating that they're using Six/SC, it almost implies that they are using unmodified clean versions - but I know yours has now been modified (whether they were before the upgrade, only you know).

anyway, you've upgrade now so you've probably got more to fix than just this issue. 🙂

Aghh, it took me few days to realize this! 😑 How come I've not payed attention to it! 😶

Seems, after updating, system chose WHMCS Namespinning as the Look Up Provider and just switching to Standard WHOIS solved all my problems! 🙏

For anyone who might have this problem in the future: Look Up Provider can be found under Setup >> Products/Services >> Domain Pricing

Still not sure why it had impact on two character .ge domain check when it worked fine with all the other .ge domains, also it was causing problem for idn domain check and it's solved as well 🙏

Edited by So, who am I ?

Seems, after updating system chose WHMCS Namespinning as the Look Up Provider and just switching to Standard WHOIS solved all my problems! 🙏

they're using eNom for that - but I assume eNom don't sell .ge domains, and so I believe that it should have fallen back to using whois...

Still not sure why it had impact on two character .ge domain check when it worked fine with all the other .ge domains, also it was causing problem for idn domain check and it's solved as well

there are still so many mysteries about Namespinning that I wouldn't trust it commercially - unless I was just offering common gTLDs.

anyway, i'm glad you got to the bottom of it! 🙂

• 2 years later...

Surprisingly. I ran into the same exact issue BUT without upgrading and my WHOIS is set to STANDARD and no one touched it.

It was working fine earlier sending the text as its entered in whois search, not its converting the SLD using punycode and sending the TLD witout converting it (like how i configured it in admin)

I need to either disable WHMCS from converting the text I enter to punycode (because this is how it was) and send it as is, or convert the TLD using punycode to be sent with the SLD completely converted beause now its sending punycode.actual_IDN

1 minute ago, Bashar said:

Surprisingly. I ran into the same exact issue BUT without upgrading and my WHOIS is set to STANDARD and no one touched it.

It was working fine earlier sending the text as its entered in whois search, not its converting the SLD using punycode and sending the TLD witout converting it (like how i configured it in admin)

I need to either disable WHMCS from converting the text I enter to punycode (because this is how it was) and send it as is, or convert the TLD using punycode to be sent with the SLD completely converted beause now its sending punycode.actual_IDN

actually i can't send it converted to punycode, i want to stop it from converting and sending it as is