POP3 Connection Error

Not sure if this helps you but I have “fixed” the annoying messages by creating an email filter under our WHMCS cPanel domain.

Just create the email filter, copy/paste the exact subject on the emails that you want to block and choose “send to another folder” (trash for example) or simply choose “discard all messages”.

This is woking fine for me. Never got any of those notifications. I was getting about 15-30 per day. 

• 3 weeks later...

hi all i believe i have found the issue to this.

since my last posting i have not had any of these until 2 days ago when i did a migration for a new client of 9 sites to my vps.

since the upload and the sites was being used the errors started again. this cause was the memory on the actual vps so i have increased this again and now the issue has now stopped. hopefully this issue could help out some of you guys and as for this only happening with a certain update of WHMCS im wondering if this is because the updated version requires a little more memory to process the email/ticket feature.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hm... I just upgraded my whmcs from 7 to 8, and suddenly I got this error too to my email...

One or more POP3 connections failed:

-----
General Enquiries <our_email_address>
Error: read failed - connection closed?
-----

The ticket itself running well.. weird... Anyone can help?

Thank you,
n3m0

• 10 months later...

Upgraded from WHMCS v7.10.3 to v8.5.1 including upgrading from php 5.6 to 7.2...and surprise surprise we are also having the same issue as mentioned by many.
One or more POP3 connections failed:

-----
General Enquiries <our_email_address>
Error: read failed - connection closed?
-----

I have checked all ticket systems and they work fine. However, erratically receiving the error email. Tried changing mailbox passwords, ports, checked memory usage, checked WHMCS/CRON PHP versions.
I am going to try the temp fix of copying the bootstrap file to WHMCS root...but this partly goes against the reasoning of moving the CRON folder in the first place.

I really do hope this bug/issue is fixed...because from a security perspective it's not good for us.

• 7 months later...
On 11/26/2018 at 12:29 AM, mustardman said:

Perhaps you didn't null the output? 

php -q /home/mysite/whmcs_crons/pop.php >/dev/null 2>&1

With the ">/dev/null 2>&1" added you will not get the "Mailbox is empty" messages every 5 minutes.  You will still get errors like the POP3 connection error.

I am here because we also started getting the POP3 connection error messages after we upgraded to 7.6.  We use gmail and it's not like we can do anything about it on that end.  I sure hope someone finds a solution because these messages are going to be annoying.

*** THIS IS THE CORRECT ANSWER.
So do I fix this?
1. You must login to your root of your server or have access to the cron service inside your linux box.
2. crontab -e  (this will open up the crontab in editor mode)
Look at your cron tab it probably looks something like above
Here is what mine used to look like:
*/5 * * * * /usr/bin/php -q /var/www/html/crons/pop.php
change it to something like this: 
*/5 * * * * /usr/bin/php -q /var/www/html/crons/pop.php >/dev/null 2>&1
Then save it.
Note: that the path /var/www/html/ is where your WHMCS installation is located. So, if your location is somewhere else, be sure to find that first.