slim

enom - what should happen when domain is expired? (grace)

Posted (edited)

I have a client with two .com domains. They expired as the client hasn't paid the invoice. The domains are currently in the grace period.

I noticed today when I visit the domain in the admin area of WHMCS I see a red error - see screenshot.

Should this be happening? The domain is only in the grace period. it hasn't even entered redemption yet.

Note: As of today, running 7.6.0 - and only noticed this after the upgrade (thou, it could have been doing it prior)

enomdomainprob.png

Edited by slim

Hi Slim, 

When a domain expires through eNom, it becomes inactive immediately, a parking page is displayed, and all the services attached to it, such as a website and/or email cease to function. It is not possible to make any updates to the domain while it is expired.
For more information you can read this article: https://www.enom.com/kb/kb/kb_0402-what-happens-domain-expires.htm

Thanks

Yep, I understand that.. I just didn’t expect the error display.

am I correct in thinking WHMCS will detect the domain going into redemption ?

and if the customer renews by paying the invoice it will renew for them?

Hi @slim,

When the feature is enabled in Setup > General Settings > Domains tab, WHMCS will  change domains to expired grace and expired redemption automatically.

This is done by the daily automation tasks based upon your grace and redemption settings per-TLD on the Setup > Products/Services > Domain Pricing page.

If no redemption price is set for a TLD, then the status is disabled in WHMCS and a domain will not enter the expired redemption state in WHMCS.

The grace and redemption periods are populated as standard based upon eNom's recommendations, so it will all work smoothly with eNom as your preferred registrar.