Update from v7.5.2 to v7.6 don't work

Hello Everyone,

I just tried to use the 'Auto Update' for the very first time and I got this far:

whmcs_update.png.ea265300f7bbdffcfe2a27f178e7e371.png

The full text from the Error box is:

Error (Help Documentation)
Error: file_put_contents(/var/www/html/portal/composer.lock): failed to open stream: Permission denied
[ErrorException]
File signature was validated
Certificate used for signature validation was loaded and validated
File hash was validated. Hash: 811e342c57c8fdba9018eba5ba7117154ec1538267f34ecfc9791adb302e10c6
Validating /var/www/html/portal/vendor/whmcs/whmcs/3aa0fbd7a0ca9ad3ed19c2b7980a2ab5.zip
Downloading
- Installing whmcs/whmcs (7.6.0)
Updating dependencies
Loading composer repositories with package information

Thankfully everything still looks to be working correctly so I've not gone any further.

Does anyone have any thought on how I should move forward.

Oh and I have full backups but would rather not have to go down that rabbit hole.

46 minutes ago, redit said:

Does anyone have any thought on how I should move forward.

Oh and I have full backups but would rather not have to go down that rabbit hole.

if everything is backed up, i'd suggest downloading the whmcs_v760_full.zip download file from WHMCS and uploading manually via FTP... the automatic update from RC=>GA failed on my v7.6 dev (as did b1=>RC weeks ago) - doing a full manual upload worked for me.

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi @redit,

This means that PHP scripts don't have permission to write to the /var/www/html/portal/composer.lock file on your server. So the auto-updater can't proceed as the file writing has failed.

Resolving this kind of error is very environment specific, so not really something we can asssit with here on the commuit. However here is our guide with some general information about this error:

http://help.whmcs.com/m/64804/l/679712-automatic-update-failed

And some other guidance for troubleshooting this kind of error is available:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5989984/file-put-contents-saying-permission-denied?rq=1

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4917811/file-put-contents-permission-denied

Sorry guys, I should have updated this topic and said that I found the cause of the problem.

I had re-build Apache on the web server and this was then running as it should have been as the user apache. However, after I rebuilt the webserver the owner of the directory was root by mistake.

After changing back to the correct user everything worked as it should.

Again sorry for not updating this topic

• WHMCS Staff

Hi @redit,

We're glad that you've got this resolved. We find that sometimes users upload the files as root and then forget to change the ownership (chown) to the user in which the webserver runs under.

Because the files are uploaded as root, they are owned by root until such time those permissions are updated.

Again, we're glad you got it resolved and thanks for the update!