Order add-on once only

Si

I have add-on services which I allow customers to order for their hosting accounts.  Nothing new there.  We all have.

But is there any way to set an add-on to only be allowed to be ordered once per hosting account.  Customers are strange creatures and forget that 6 months ago they ordered a particular add-on and then they order it again.  I would like them to:

1) not be able to order the add-on twice

2)  see that the reason for this is because they already have it

It seems strange that this isn't an option built into WHMCS when you create an add-on.  Is there a module or way to achieve this instead of submitting a feature request and having to wait 1-3 years before it is implemented?

Its so frustrating and time consuming to cancel and refund the orders and then contact the customer to explain why.  Then they inevitably come back and ask the question, 'why did your system allow me to order it if I already had it?'

Edited by Si

On 6/25/2018 at 17:01, Si said:

But is there any way to set an add-on to only be allowed to be ordered once per hosting account.

not from the settings..

1. not be able to order the add-on twice
  2. see that the reason for this is because they already have it

one option might be to get a list of the client's existing (active/pending) addons and not show those on the addons / product details pages... that might kill 2 birds, because if they can't see the addons they already have (during ordering), they can't re-order them.... nor do they then need to be told the reason... I suppose you could show they already have them (e.g disabling the option instead of removing), on the cart addons page, but that could complicate the solution horrendously and might require template changes.

Is there a module or way to achieve this instead of submitting a feature request and having to wait 1-3 years before it is implemented?

1-3 years? are they in turbo mode! :P

i'm not aware of any module... you could do it with a hook certainly as I can see the rough gist of how to do it - though one of the complications is that you can get to the addons via various routes (cart addons and product details are two that come to mind - so i'll need to check if there are others).

I had already bookmarked the thread to take another closer look at this - but that's going to have to wait until we get a cooler day, as I can't code clearly in this sweltering heat! :27_sunglasses:

Then they inevitably come back and ask the question, 'why did your system allow me to order it if I already had it?'

just tell them that you use WHMCS, and they'll then nod their head sagely and understand the reason. :)

15 hours ago, jster1324 said:

Addons and tickets are where WHMCS is suffering for us.

I would add the cart, in general, to that list.