why was goCardless support removed

snake

I have just discovered that WHMCS added and them removed GoCardless support, does anyone know why?

I did try asking them directly, but they declined the question. I tried to ask why they declined the question, but they declined that as well.

Comment is Declined - russ@michaels.me.uk - Russ Michaels Consulting Mail.png

Edited by snake

2 hours ago, snake said:

I have just discovered that WHMCS added and them removed GoCardless support, does anyone know why?

wasn't it the other way around, the GoCardless module was written by GoCardless themselves and they decided to stop supporting WHMCS many years ago.

https://docs.whmcs.com/GoCardless

As of v5.3 this module has been discontinued and is no longer supported by WHMCS.

there are at least two commercial products that are available to use the recent version of GoCardless API...

https://marketplace.whmcs.com/product/3531

https://marketplace.whmcs.com/product/3415

2 hours ago, snake said:

I did try asking them directly, but they declined the question.

I wouldn't have thought asking in requests.whmcs.com (if that's where you did ask them) would be a valid place to do that anyway...

2 hours ago, snake said:

I tried to ask why they declined the question, but they declined that as well.

... possibly because it's for suggestions rather than questions.

I wouldn't have thought asking in requests.whmcs.com (if that's where you did ask them) would be a valid place to do that anyway...
... possibly because it's for suggestions rather than questions.

I have seen many requests with long and ongoing conversations, which whmcs themselves reply to. We all know they like to selectively ignore things when it suits them.

I did used to use the one that was made my GoCardless themselves, but they stopped supporting that as well annoyingly.
Glad to see someone has finally released an alternative on the MArketplace.

21 hours ago, snake said:

I have seen many requests with long and ongoing conversations, which whmcs themselves reply to.

recent requests, or the usual ones that have been laying there for 4+ years?

21 hours ago, snake said:

We all know they like to selectively ignore things when it suits them.

sadly, I agree.

@snake GoCardless removed support for WHMCS in version 5.3, this module was made by them rather than us and we simply included it in the default installation, not all module are ours such as this one the reason they stopped was they felt they where unable to provide a satisfactory integration per there tweet 

As mentioned by @brian! requests.whmcs.com is not the correct place for asking questions, whilst previously it has, the community or support tickets are the place to do this.

At this time there are no plans for us to integrate with GoCardless in the future, like anything however this could change, there are other modules in the MarketPlace to try out

Let me give some clarity on this.

The original Gocardless module was written in partnership with us, as a tester, by a guy called Tim who worked there. We worked with him to get the original module up and running as we were one of GoCardless's launch partners. Tim then left GoCardless to return back to University full time (was part time whilst working at GC). He made the original code available in the public domain, but as no one official was updating it, our understanding was WHMCS then dropped it. GoCardless even did a blog entry on us, them and WHMCS https://gocardless.com/blog/merchant-of-the-month-aquiss/

For ages, literally 2-3 years, the only way to make things work was via patchy GitHub solutions, they worked, but were not amazing. We patched ours for internal needs for a while, but when version 7 of WHMCS, we had find an different solution.

Personally, support for GoCardless now would make more sense than it did back then, so many businesses are using them, but with commercial modules, at decent money, available, it might not make sense for WHMCS. However, with them supporting other forms of Direct Debit and now including DD based elements into WHMCS core, surely this is worth a look again?

Edited by aquiss