WHMCS marketplace - No links in description, WHY?

zomex

Hello,

I'd like to raise my concerns about the WHMCS marketplace policy of not being allowed any links in the description . This is a really silly policy and benefits no one.

I take pride in my work and like to give potential customers full information including links to find out more about specific features which include images and videos. It's impossible for me to do this without links. WHMCS have suggested me to use plan text links which seems silly. It would be messy and no one is going to copy and paste them.

Negatives to the vendor:

- I can't cater for everyone with text, not everyone likes to learn about a product by reading its features. Some people prefer videos, some images

- If I can't properly describe my product this increases the chances that someone will order without understanding it's features. This would run the risk of chargebacks and other issues

Negatives to the customer:

- Those who don't like to read text are forced to else:

- They will end up purchasing a product without knowing enough about it. This will lead to a unhappy customer experience from the marketplace.

Here is a look at my description: https://www.zomex.com/libs/images/features.png
When a link is clicked it will go my website explaining the feature in detail: https://www.zomex.com/libs/images/featureexplained.png

Why wouldn't this be allowed if it benefits both the vendor and consumer?

To summaries what is the point of this policy? What is the benefit to not allowing links in the description for both the vendor and consumer? If WHMCS are concerned about outgoing links you can easily add rel="nofollow" to them?

Another concern is linking directly to the cart, once again this doesn't allow the customer to have the option of choices for some businesses. For example when the customer selects a product sometimes I give 2 options which are updates included and updates not included. This happens outside of the cart but I've made the design exactly the same layout as my cart without looking at the URL it would be impossible to tell it's not within the cart. If I link directly to the cart then I can't offer this option which is vital and unique for each customer.

Allowed: https://www.zomex.com/clients/cart.php?a=add&pid=489

Not allowed: https://www.zomex.com/templates/package/?product=whmcs-glaze

What negative effect does it have for anyone linking my listing to the not allowed URL? Once again WHMCS what is the reason for what seems a pointless policy?

-----------

Why as a long time developer, supporter & marketer of WHMCS should I have to suffer from polices such as these? Doesn't WHMCS pride itself on supporting its developers? The marketplace is designed to benefit both the vendors and consumers so why is there policies that makes the experience worse for both?

Regards,
Jack

Edited by zomex

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi @zomex,

Thanks for your feedback on our Marketplace listing policies, which have been in place since the Marketplace was launched in mid-2016.

With the launch of the Marketplace we took the opportunity to introduce new functionality vs. the App Store it replaced to allow valued developers to increase the visual appeal of their listings via screenshots, images and support for Markdown syntax. Along with these new features we also introduced guidelines to help ensure the integrity of listings and the Marketplace in general; for example screenshots need to actually show the functionality of the mod, and the listing can't all be written in H1 format or all hyperlinks. These are the kind of guidelines you might be familiar with on many message boards, when often can limit the use of colour, links and formatting in posts/signatures.

With regards to hyperlinks specifically, the use of these is restricted so as to give prominence to the download and support buttons which are standard on every listing, and to help with tracking. For example the download counts become inaccurate if there are direct order links in the description text itself.

That said we understand - for templates in particular - it's useful to be able to link to a live demo so potential customers can see the template in action. And therefore for that one category we allow some wiggle room with regards to links in the descriptions, and I'm pleased to see that you have been taking full advantage of this in your listings up to now.

With regards to your latest submission, the number of links has increased and I'm afraid we have to draw the line somewhere. I'd like to reiterate the invitation of my colleague in your Marketplace ticket to adjust your listing's description so as remove a few of them more in-line with your existing listings and we will be pleased to re-review it.

Thanks again for your feedback and continued support of WHMCS and the ecosystem.

I can understand some limitations placed on links, but they are becoming very strict with this rule. In order for us to have our latest listing approved, I had to remove the link from this new (Addon) module's description, which pointed to another WHMCS Marketplace page for our (Server) module, with which, the new module is dependent upon for functionality.

Hello John,

I can't get my head around the policy to be honest.

Your marketplace is designed to help developers market their WHMCS related products to your users. But you're not allowing us to do this effectively which is a negative to your users as we aren't able to describe our products features effectively.

Without meaning to come across blunt 3 screenshots is not good enough, it's impossible to advertise my template with 3 screenshots and I'm sure it's the same with other developers modules.

I do hope this policy changes.

With that said I have modified my listing and removed over 50% of links, I feel this is reasonable compromise on both sides. I will admit that I went a little heavy on the links particularly linking to every page of the template. But I've now replaced this with 1 link to view all pages.

Thanks.

Just had a update to my ticket and I've been asked to remove all links apart from 2.

I can't proceed with this, I'm not going to risk chargebacks and miss leading potential clients because I can't effectively advertise my product and its features.

For anyone who is interested this is my products description that was declined, it now has over 50% less links:

features2.png

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi @zomex,

I'm pleased to hear that the Marketplace has become an integral part of promoting your products. Helping our valued community of developers do just that - without an upfront cost - was one of our key objectives. I understand that you would like to add more screenshots to your listings, that is a great idea!  There are several options available which will allow you to do just that, our partner manager will reach out to you shortly to discuss how we can make that happen.

Thanks for making those revisions and for the opportunity to explain our policies, I'm pleased we have now been able to approve this listing.

Should you have any further comments or questions, please don't hesitate to let me have it!