Sometimes an Invoice is not created by cron

netwood

I noticed that sometimes invoices are not created by cron. However the due date for the product is increased as if an invoice was created and paid with a credit card. Very disturbing.

Is there a report or tool I can use to count how many monthly services there are in any given month and check if the same quantity of invoices has been created for that month?
I know that it will not be exact because of one-time invoices such as domain renewals.

If I had not detected this by accident, we would have lost many thousands of $.
I suggest everyone should check so the correct quantity of invoices gets created every month.

jonas

• WHMCS Support Manager

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you've experienced billing problems. This is certainly a unique problem I've not heard of before.

There is not currently such a tool. However we welcome feature requests online at http://requests.whmcs.com
Feel free to suggest this as a new idea for comment and voting upon by other WHMCS users.

In the meantime you may find a member of our community has developed a solution for this, so it would be worth searching our Marketplace: http://marketplace.whmcs.com/

Sometimes the invoice is not created at all and sometimes the next due date is moved forward one billing period without the invoice being neither generated nor charged.

I'm creating a spreadsheet with the amount of invoices generated everyday and then I compare each day for different months.

Go to Billing -> Invoices and execute a search for payment method "Credit Card" and invoice date. The result table will say something like "X records found". Then change the month in the invoice date search but keep the same day. Then compare the results. You probably will find some missing invoices.

• 2 weeks later...

This problem is notorious to debug.  I've since noticed 1 more account that had the issue, and I am going to keep a watch for them when they are to have their next invoice generated.  Maybe I can figure out some commonality between the accounts that have the problem.

Have you had any luck?

There is no consistency. It happens randomly. It doesn't depend on which customer it is, what type of services they have or if they pay via credit card or check.

Therefore I think it's a system issue that occasionally interrupts cron during the invoice generation and when the invoice is charged. On one occasion the next due date for the service was increased by a month just as if the invoice was generated and paid. However only the due date was increased. No invoice was generated and no payment done. Would not have noticed it unless the customer in this case called because she wanted to pay her monthly invoice.

Since the upgrade to 7.x and PHP 7, I have no 3rd party add-ons. However I did have PayPal lookup, QiQ paper invoices and a Bitcoin lookup. All those those are removed but I still see the checkbox for "Mail paper invoice" in the customer profile page. Maybe I should upload a updated version of that page. However I had the same issue before the upgrade. I was using version 6.5.3 for a long time.

23 minutes ago, netwood said:

However I did have PayPal lookup, QiQ paper invoices and a Bitcoin lookup.

I don't think the lookups will matter... not so sure about QiQ - especially if it's not v7/PHP7 compatible. :?:

23 minutes ago, netwood said:

All those those are removed but I still see the checkbox for "Mail paper invoice" in the customer profile page.

perhaps it's left behind a client custom field ?

24 minutes ago, netwood said:

However I had the same issue before the upgrade. I was using version 6.5.3 for a long time.

it might be worth opening a ticket with support about it... not creating invoices is bad enough, but when it's not creating them AND then adjusting the NDD, that's not good. :mad:

Ok, so I had the theory that the crond script was not running properly, or stopping or starting, but I don't think this is the case.

Some of my clients nextduedate entries in the tblhosting files are now set to December.  They have skipped November.  I noticed this before any invoices have been generated, so it is not the actual invoice generation code that does it.  The dates are getting pushed in the future somehow by some other process.

Yeah, you're probably correct.

If some process is pushing the due date up one month, then the invoice would not be generated for the current month.

This bug has been around for a long time. I hoped that it would have been fixed with version 7 but unfortunately not.

• WHMCS Developer
14 hours ago, netwood said:

If some process is pushing the due date up one month, then the invoice would not be generated for the current month.

This bug has been around for a long time. I hoped that it would have been fixed with version 7 but unfortunately not.

WHMCS can only use the dates on the service/addon/domain. If something away from WHMCS is changing these, we cannot do anything.

20 hours ago, craigify said:

The dates are getting pushed in the future somehow by some other process.

Try disabling all your hooks and addons, it will be one of these changing the dates.

You could also use Hooks Debug Mode (General Settings -> Other) to add Activity Log entries for each hook point, but, this can be *noisy* in the log, especially when activated for an extended period.