Custom field for billing contact, so VAT number can be added

stormy

Has anybody been able to crack this problem? Customers want to set up a billing contact, enticed by the options that WHMCS provides. However, the contacts don't have extra fields or a VAT ID field. So, they end up with wrong, illegal invoices.

A feature request has been gathering dust for 3 years:

https://requests.whmcs.com/topic/custom-fields-for-additional-contacts

If anyone has a solution, paid or otherwise, I'm all ears!

Sure I can add custom Client fields (and I do!) but I can't add custom fields to Contacts (or subaccounts):

http://docs.whmcs.com/Clients:Contacts_Tab

http://docs.whmcs.com/Sub-Accounts

WHMCS has a dropdown in the client area, where it allows to create a contact and choose it as a billing contact. But, no way for the contact to have a VAT number. The VAT number belongs to the main account, which makes this feature useless in the EU, unfortunately.

WHMCS has a dropdown in the client area, where it allows to create a contact and choose it as a billing contact. But, no way for the contact to have a VAT number. The VAT number belongs to the main account, which makes this feature useless in the EU, unfortunately.

Hello,

I think this is due to each WHMCS client account assumes one company so there is one set of invoices, one set of product/services etc. By having a VAT number for each contact it wouldn't comply with EU law as WHMCS wouldn't be able to monitor which country the order came from. Forgive me if I've misunderstood your setup/situation.

You may be better off removing the contacts functionality and ask that each person creates a separate WHMCS account.

Regards,

Jack

Hi Stormy,

Thanks for your post, the WHMCS Sub-Contacts feature is not designed to allow VAT numbers to be entered onto them. Sub-Contacts are designed so you can allow other people to receive copies of emails, open ticket, pay for services access domains & use SSO into your services it's not designed as a way to order products for say a subsidiary company for example which has its own VAT number. In these instances they would need their own account rather than being a contact.

I would encourage you to submit a feature request to our team for future consideration the team review feature requests on a regular basis and it's a great way for other members of the community to get involved and provide their input on a solution and what their business requirements are. Finally we do have the WHMCS MarketPlace which is full of third party modifications for WHMCS you may like to see if a third party has a solution that meets your needs in there.

Thanks again for your post!

You may be better off removing the contacts functionality and ask that each person creates a separate WHMCS account.

That's exactly what I'm doing, although I have a few customers that really, really need this feature, or something similar. They want to manage everything under one account, and have billing contacts with their own invoice details.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Chris,

the WHMCS Sub-Contacts feature is not designed to allow VAT numbers to be entered onto them. Sub-Contacts are designed so you can allow other people to receive copies of emails, open ticket, pay for services access domains & use SSO into your services it's not designed as a way to order products for say a subsidiary company for example which has its own VAT number. In these instances they would need their own account rather than being a contact.

Then WHMCS should discourage the use of Sub-Contact as "billing contact". When you edit your account details, there is a drop-down that allows you to select a billing contact, with its own details. If you use a billing contact, everything from that contact appears in the invoice: Company name, full name, address, everything. Everything - except for the VAT number, because there is no field for it.

So, if Sub-contacts are not dessigned for billing, remove that choice. And if they are, add the custom VAT number and everyone will be happy.

I would encourage you to submit a feature request to our team for future consideration

There are two already:

https://requests.whmcs.com/topic/add-custom-client-fields-for-sub-accounts-too

https://requests.whmcs.com/topic/custom-fields-for-additional-contacts

One is "currently declined", status just changed a couple days ago.