Stop New Users From Registering, Ordering, etc.

JayBird

I have searched the forum and Googled until my fingers hurt. What I want seems pretty basic, yet no luck yet finding the proper solution. First, to answer your question about why I don't want any new users. Actually, I do. However, I want to find and screen new clients, and then create their user accounts myself, not just let everyone sign up.

Ban free (or any) email addresses. Not very effective since users can enter anything they want for an email address (e.g., jim@asdgfhagfg.com) and if I do not have a specific block setup up for asdgfhagfg.com, the account/order gets created. It would be nice if WHMCS validated an email address before actually creating an account; alas, it does not.

So I could just disable my client area. Sure, that would prevent signups. But it would also prevent my existing clients from accessing the area they need to pay invoices, etc. Not an option.

So I could use quantity controls on products to stop them from being ordered. Does not apply to domain names, so not an option.

So what about this option: Allow Client Registration Tick this box to allow registration without ordering any products/services. Seems no matter which I try, checked or unchecked, people can still register. All they need to do is add some domain name, which makes it easy to circumvent this feature.

Sure I could delete the domains we register for clients, but that means I would have to add them back whenever I need to register (maybe even renew) a domain name. Not practical.

Why not have a simple on/off switch for allowing new customers to register? Seems simple enough. Not sure why that was overlooked in the beginning or over the years. Sure, we all want legitimate, paying customers. I, for one, do not want my system getting clogged with fake registrations from someone trying to execute an exploit that was patched a couple of years ago.

Nor do I relish the idea of going in daily, or several times per day, to delete these bogus client accounts. I simply want to stop anyone from registering as a new client. Is that too much to ask? I really don't think so.

Anyone have any ideas about a solution that already exists, or how to implement something like this?

Hi

It's not that complicated. You simply need to edit 2 files in order to stop new registrations.

• clientregister.tpl in your template folder
  • viewcart.tpl in your cart template folder

In both you will find the forms that visitors use to register on your WHMCS. Just delete them or replace with a message like "No registration allowed" with some explanations.

I'd combine 3 things:

1. Disable public registration as suggested in the above post

2. Stock control options - make everything out of stock so nothing can be ordered

3. Have Auto Registration turned off for each TLD

4. Under Setup -> General Settings -> Domains, disable the ability for your clients to register domain names

• 10 months later...
you can allow registration when ordring services only, go to Admin area > Setup > General Settings

under Other Tab you can find tick box "Tick this box to allow registration without ordering any products/services"

http://docs.whmcs.com/Other_Tab#Allow_Client_Registration

Would it be possible to get a current solution to this?

I also do not want to allow new registrations - all clients are vetted first.

I tried editing clientregister.tpl and it's still allowing registration (in the active template folder and all templates as well)

Hi keving, instead of editing your files (and keeping up with if they changed on WHMCS upgrades) you can use an addon like our WHMCS Firewall (whmcsFirewall.com) that has a new user moderation feature.

1. Allows the sign-up with a product purchase

2. Does not allow new client access until you approve their account.

= The Best of Both worlds.

We have a free trial so test it out and let me know if that works for you.

Best,

Trevor~

Trevor,

Hi keving, instead of editing your files (and keeping up with if they changed on WHMCS upgrades) you can use an addon like our WHMCS Firewall (whmcsFirewall.com) that has a new user moderation feature.

it's against the rules to advertise your own products in this forum...

http://forum.whmcs.com/faq.php

No advertising, offers or self promotion is allowed, except in the "Commercial Modules & Addons" section where only offers of addons and modules are permissible, and the "Marketplace" section where hiring of developers is allowed. No more than one ad per week, please.

you've already mentioned your product twice today in two posts outside of the above areas - i'm sure if you made one post about it in Commercial Addons (and the AppStore), users will find it without the need for your regular advert replies promoting it! :idea:

Brian, I think your being a bit of a forum nazi there.

Trevor's reply is directly related to the question and his product solves the problem, so I would hardly call it an advert.

He can hardly say "I have a way to solve your problem, but i'm not allowed to tell you". That would be about as helpful as a fridge to an eskimo.

Thanks for the clarification on the forum rules Brian, I will be sure to follow them.

This problem did just randomly happen to fit 100% spot on with the solution.

I will also follow your suggestion and add a Commercial Addon's post and to the AppStore.

I already knew those 2 options existed, It might sound weird but I actually wanted to help out on the forums before asking for anything from the forums.. Look forward to seeing me around helping out (And not just Adverting! :-)

Best,

Trevor~

Found a solution - edit 2 files

1) the header.tpl file in your template folder and remove link to Register in the header

2) remove cart registration form in /templates/orderforms/boxes/viewcart.tpl and replace with whatever text you like

This is really useful but it would be good if WHMCS could implement a simple 'allow new user registrations' tickbox.

Brian, I think your being a bit of a forum nazi there.

<accent>I was merely mentioning ze rules.</accent> Nazi.gif

Trevor's reply is directly related to the question and his product solves the problem, so I would hardly call it an advert.

you didn't see it as self-promotion? if it was a one-off, I might have let is slide - but he made his first eight posts in a couple of hours, two of which mentioned his own product.. who's to say he wasn't going to reply to more threads 'relevant' to his product ?

ideally, I would have much preferred to mention it privately to Trevor, but he didn't have private messaging enabled - so that wasn't an option.

as I said, a one-off post I might have ignored - but a pattern was potentially emerging and I just wanted to try to nip it in the bud... no sinister motives intended, just trying to keep the forum running on an even keel.

but if you think my post makes me a forum nazi, then I can live with that - if the same situation occurs today or in the future, then i'd probably follow exactly the same course.

and if it makes you feel any better (it won't though!), after I made that post, I did PM Infopro to check and he was fine with what I did - frankly, it's better a gentle word from me than Infopro becoming involved. :idea:

He can hardly say "I have a way to solve your problem, but i'm not allowed to tell you". That would be about as helpful as a fridge to an eskimo.

... and how often have you seen questions (outside of Marketplace) being answered by someone promoting their own products? it's extraordinarily rare that it occurs... erm, because it's against the forum rules and others tend to follow them!

if you're not happy with the advertising/self-promotion rule, discuss it with Infopro - he makes the rules here, not me.

Trevor has his homepage link; he has a twitter link; he could even add a signature that mentions the product - plus the option of contacting the OP outside of the forum... there is no need to mention it in the reply.

Thanks for the clarification on the forum rules Brian, I will be sure to follow them.

It might sound weird but I actually wanted to help out on the forums before asking for anything from the forums.. Look forward to seeing me around helping out (And not just Advertising! :-)

Trevor, I always welcome, and actively try to encourage, members helping each other - and I look forward to reading more of your useful replies. :idea:

Brian

Edited by brian!