WHMCS ended their distributor program

I see where they are going with this. I did the same thing with my business a few years back, and it was the best move I made. Since it was setup like a hosting reseller (Server owner > reseller > public). I disliked having to deal with going through the reseller and await for replies from the user, and then wait for the reseller to forward the message to my team. Now the 'public' come direct to me, and makes response time faster. And a more happy customer. I do not regret my decision.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see where they are going with this. I did the same thing with my business a few years back, and it was the best move I made. Since it was setup like a hosting reseller (Server owner > reseller > public). I disliked having to deal with going through the reseller and await for replies from the user, and then wait for the reseller to forward the message to my team. Now the 'public' come direct to me, and makes response time faster. And a more happy customer. I do not regret my decision.

Distributors were different to resellers.

i.e. you purchased a licence from a distributor, then you got a WHMCS clientarea, so you got support direct from WHMCS, but if you get a licence from a reseller then you had to go through the reseller

but if you get a licence from a reseller then you had to go through the reseller

This is not the case. The end user would normally contact there host but WHMCS has no issue with you contacting them direct. They even have a page dedicated to reseller support as well as a reseller support department.

http://www.whmcs.com/get-support/resellersupport/

This is not the case. The end user would normally contact there host but WHMCS has no issue with you contacting them direct. They even have a page dedicated to reseller support as well as a reseller support department.

http://www.whmcs.com/get-support/resellersupport/

Only difference is reseller support was slow(er) than direct licenses which is understandable. Otherwise they have been great for reseller license holders.

In the UK you then have to add VAT, so this is more like $20 compared to $15 from LP

Not strictly true. You only have to pay VAT if you are a UK/EU business. Outside of the UK/EU you would not have to pay VAT. If you are an EU based business not in the UK that is also VAT registered then you don't pay the VAT by means of a reverse charge.

If you are a UK VAT registered business then you claim the VAT back.

So in reality the only ones that pay slightly more are those based in the UK or EU that are not registered for VAT.

<nitpick>VAT added to $15 is only $3 meaning it's $18 not $20.</nitpick>

Edited by openmind

Not strictly true. You only have to pay VAT if you are a UK/EU business. Outside of the UK/EU you would not have to pay VAT. If you are an EU based business not in the UK that is also VAT registered then you don't pay the VAT by means of a reverse charge.

If you are a UK VAT registered business then you claim the VAT back.

read what i stated

So in reality the only ones that pay slightly more are those based in the UK or EU that are not registered for VAT.

<nitpick>VAT added to $15 is only $3 meaning it's $18 not $20.</nitpick>

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by easyhosting viewpost-right.png

In the UK you then have to add VAT, so this is more like $20 compared to $15 from LP

with LP it was

[TABLE=align: center]

[TR]

[TD]

Sub Total:

[/TD]

[TD=align: center]$12.95 USD[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

20.00% VAT:

[/TD]

[TD=align: center]$2.59 USD[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

Credit:

[/TD]

[TD=align: center]$0.00 USD[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

Total:

[/TD]

[TD=align: center]$15.54 USD

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

with WHMCS

[TABLE=class: data, width: 100%, align: center]

[TR=class: summary]

[TD=align: right]Subtotal: [/TD]

[TD=class: textcenter]$15.95 USD[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: summary]

[TD=align: right]VAT @ 20.00%: [/TD]

[TD=class: textcenter]$3.19 USD[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: due]

[TD=align: right]Total Due Today: [/TD]

[TD=class: textcenter]$19.14 USD[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: recurring]

[TD=align: right]Total Recurring: [/TD]

[TD=class: textcenter]$19.14 USD Monthly[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

so where did you get $18 from. i rounded mine up

You stated that if you are in the UK, you pay VAT, here's your post again:

I was simply clarifying that this is not true for any non-UK/non-EU business and not all UK based businesses. Regarding the vat calculation; after reading the last part of that sentence four times it finally makes sense but wasn't clear hence my response.

Tax is tax no matter where your from, we call it VAT and everybody in the uk and eu pays it. some can claim it back some cant that all depends if you are a vat registered company or not.

On with the whole distributor closure, well i cant say i know if its good or bad for whmcs, only time will tell the tale, the only reason i bought a license was because it was cheaper at LP, yes i bout an owned license.

I think the real guts and gore behind all of this might actually be pressure from the large hosting companies. obviously that is pure speculation, but you can bet your life on it that if they were putting pressure on then it was due to the masses of small hosting resellers that are around every corner that are taking their profit margins. higher pricing means less startups, thats obvious.

Look how hard it is now to attract new clients you have to be an amazing salesman and your support has to be second to none because if you skip a beat you lose clients faster than ever.

Just my two pence.

Sigh... :roll:

I never said it wasn't true I was simply making it clear that VAT does not apply in many situations, something that your post clearly failed to do.

Just leave it :).

higher pricing means less startups, thats obvious.

The price increase is minimal $4 - 8 depending on where you are from. If a business can't justify that then good, they shouldn't create a web host in the first place as no emergency funds, funds for servers etc... just wouldn't be readily available.

We're not talking $10k here, its $4 - 8/m

dont think this is it as LP sell CP licences. personally i think this may have been a factor in their decision http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1188595 but we can only speculate until an official statement from WHMCS

... and another reason why im looking at other options. Support sucks, the software is full of bugs and security issues and now this? Not to mention, my credit card was hit for over $2,000 from people who grabbed my CC info from their poor security measures last year. All in all, this company is on a huge downswing. Nothing good happening here.

WHAT A JOKE!

Really, appologies are in order from WHMCS in general for everything they have put me though and others.

Perish the thought a company wants to make money, right?

The point isn't that a company shouldn't make money. The point is that a distribution system was setup and used, and most likely used by quite a few people, and to just cancel it with no real warning (like most real companies do) Like a EOL notification of 3-12 months, by the dates of all the posts it was a week notification. This leads one to wonder.. Was this about providing better support, or greed? Greed is the killer of business, but one most fail to realize. The way it was carried out makes me believe greed was the driving force. If it truly is about providing better support, then you as a company can guarantee that future support will be provided in a more timely manner since you are making more money after all right?

I own a business also, and I want to make money to, but I do it with honesty and integrity...

Edited by VicToMeyeZR

@bear, that quote was from the exact same topic... You closed that one since this one was also open, so I gave you what I meant by my post in the other topic, that was the exact same topic. Not out of context! You wanted constructive feedback, so I gave you plain English feedback that shouldn't be misunderstood to be non-constructive..

Well now your not acting like an adult here. Do you even remember what you tell people from one day to the next? Do I need to pull out private messages and post them here? GO back to that thread and read .... actually here I will do it for you.

but since there's a thread already, linked to above, closing this.

SInce the topic is the EXACT SAME topic, I don't think carrying on a conversation about the EXACT SAME topic is really violating anything is it? But then again, are you being a mature adult here, or just trying to be a jerk to customers?

If you wish to post something about WHMCS that's negative, at the least be constructive while doing so.
Edited by VicToMeyeZR

just trying to be a jerk to customers?

I *am* a customer, just like you. I help out with volunteering my time here on the forum, and if you are going to be calling people names (anyone, not just me), I'd be happy to put on my moderating hat for you.

Strongly suggest you reconsider.