convert OpenSRS logins for WHMCS

ScrltOTara

We had a lot of OpenSRS domain names when we moved to WHMCS so I wrote this short but effective add on to tell you what to change their domain manager login so that it can be imported into WHMCS for management.

First, place an order for the client for domain transfer, select not to generate an invoice and select to make it active. Then go to the domain info - note the domain ID in the URL in the address bar. You will need this.

Then go to the add on mod, type in the domain and the domain ID and it'll spit out what your login needs to be to make openSRS "see" it in WHMCS. You will need their current login to then log in to manage.opensrs.net and change their profile.

Didn't think anyone needed this but me until someone asked me for it. So I figured I'd post it here. Just put it in modules/admin/

Nothing fancy, just thought it might be useful to others.

Tara

OpenSRS_login_converter.zip

• 1 month later...

Hi Tara. This is an interesting module. We've been doing it by hand, but this will save some time. One question... it seems the module is looking for another module, md5_converter. I'm not seeing that in the zip file you posted. Can I ask where you got that module, or can you post it?

Thanks again for the great add... I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

-Eric

Sorry, my fault. We initially had it named md5_converter, and when I renamed it, I forgot the change the post method. Here's the updated file - tested. The only change is that the form posts to OpenSRS_login_converter instead of md5_converter.

Perfect! Thank you.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you very much for this. A question I'm left with - when I go into the profile under openSRS, I can create sub users or change passwords (but not users) or create a new sub-account for access. I'm a little lost on which one of these options I should select to update the account ID and password. Thanks in advance for your help.

web2008 - yes, it has some glitches. If the domain has a hyphen, you just remove the hypen and expand the user name to include the right number of characters. I don't know what to do if the domain is shorter - I do know you can take the . out and add the tld to the user name, too.

• 5 months later...
You can not use WHMCS if you have more than one domain in a user account. You will have to strip them out into their own accounts, one domain per.

I can strip them out to individual accounts, except what happens with multiple domains with the same 1st 8 characters. This is quite common where a domain owner has something.com, something.net, and perhaps something.otherTLDs. It seems like the way the OpenSRS module works will not only prevent me from converting those existing domains but will prevent customers from registering or transferring multiple domains with the same first 8 characters. Am I missing something?

I can strip them out to individual accounts, except what happens with multiple domains with the same 1st 8 characters. This is quite common where a domain owner has something.com, something.net, and perhaps something.otherTLDs. It seems like the way the OpenSRS module works will not only prevent me from converting those existing domains but will prevent customers from registering or transferring multiple domains with the same first 8 characters. Am I missing something?

OpenSRS doesn't care about duplicate account usernames. There are 3 factors in authenticating with OpenSRS: domain name, username, password. Using the same username for different domains is perfectly acceptable and works just fine in our experience, because the domain name is used to help differentiate the accounts.

That help?

OpenSRS doesn't care about duplicate account usernames. There are 3 factors in authenticating with OpenSRS: domain name, username, password. Using the same username for different domains is perfectly acceptable and works just fine in our experience, because the domain name is used to help differentiate the accounts.

That help?

But how do I create two user accounts at openSRS with the same username and two different passwords?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've found an exception in the user name generation process, it strips away all numbers in the domain name.

So that, the username for domain4all.com will be 'domainal' and not 'domain4a'.

The "OpenSRS Login Converter" do not takes that into consideration.

Oto Tortorella

P.S.

I still feel that this way of generating credentials for domain managing is a security issue even though the domain locking is a good protection.

• 3 months later...

It's a shame that the handling of imported OpenSRS domains isn't better implemented in WHMCS.

We have some clients with lots of existing domains at OpenSRS. Because of the way WHMCS operates we have to manually process all changes they make which makes WHMCS redundant for anything except new registrations or individual names where we can use this script to generate sub-users. :cry:

We can't break them down into individual accounts - that would just take too long for some clients, and we would end up with endless usernames and passwords.

Tervor

• 1 month later...

I just switched to WHMCS from iPanel and am loving it...except for the awful OpenSRS support. I was able to import all of my domains through the opensrs sync script in 4.3 but this "Authentication Error" pops up on every domain page. I was able to use this neat script (though insecure) on domains that I have control panel access to, but most of my users have changed their password (and rightly so) - is there any way to link WHMCS to their OpenSRS account without having them change their password or give it to me?